Never thought I’d be posting here

Atlas

Hi all, 

Husband and I are seriously considering moving back to the UK, and whilst I’ve always known it could be a possibility, I’m surprised that we still feel a pull after being quite settled in Melbourne for the past 7 years. 

We have good, secure jobs over here, bought a property 3 years ago, have 3 children aged 5 and under and have 2 cats and a dog. We have made some fantastic friends along the way and our kids are happy, as are we for the most part!

The tricky part has always been distance from family. Our immediate family all live in England or Scotland and as the kids get older, and parents get older, it feels harder and harder to justify being so far away. It’s not so much that we are looking for support or help with the kids, but more that we are a close family and just miss seeing them. 

Whilst the lifestyle in Australia is great, I guess we don’t feel like we will be able to replace that family connection? We try to see family every 12 months now that we have kids, but this is of course expensive and leaves little leftover in terms of holiday funds and annual leave. We feel that our kids are young enough that they’d really benefit from a closer relationship with grandparents and cousins etc. though, so we make it work financially for now.

Curious to hear from others who felt the same, in particular those with young kids.

Thank you for reading!

Edited by Atlas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Atlas said:

Hi all, 

Husband and I are seriously considering moving back to the UK, and whilst I’ve always known it could be a possibility, I’m surprised that we still feel a pull after being quite settled in Melbourne for the past 7 years. 

We have good, secure jobs over here, bought a property 3 years ago, have 3 children aged 5 and under and have 2 cats and a dog. We have made some fantastic friends along the way and our kids are happy, as are we for the most part!

The tricky part has always been distance from family. Our immediate family all live in England or Scotland and as the kids get older, and parents get older, it feels harder and harder to justify being so far away. It’s not so much that we are looking for support or help with the kids, but more that we are a close family and just miss seeing them. 

Whilst the lifestyle in Australia is great, I guess we don’t feel like we will be able to replace that family connection? We try to see family every 12 months now that we have kids, but this is of course expensive and leaves little leftover in terms of holiday funds and annual leave. We feel that our kids are young enough that they’d really benefit from a closer relationship with grandparents and cousins etc. though, so we make it work financially for now.

Curious to hear from others who felt the same, in particular those with young kids.

Thank you for reading!

Really really think hard about this. 
We are about to make the move in the opposite direction with our 11 year old as we think lifestyle, weather, economy and opportunity will be better for her. 
The UK is not the country you left (you will see this if you visit regularly but it’s not the same as experiencing it daily when living here). 
If you really will see family regularly and you will be a part of their daily or weekly lives (and this will be positive/beneficial) then it might be worthwhile. There have been a lot of people ‘ping pong’ because they want to go back and be close to family but then find that they don’t actually see them all that much and the reality of the lifestyle in the UK is too much of a compromise. 
If you are citizens and can keep your house in Aus and you can afford to live in an affluent area in the UK then in might be worth dipping your toe back in to see what you think. 
Would you take the pets? Importing our 2 dogs to Aus is running £14k at the moment so worth considering that too. It’s not a cheap move lol. 
The UK is in a cost of living crisis. The poverty is visible. I’m in Scotland and lots of our local facilities (like libraries and swimming pools) have closed down. Our railways have just gone on to an emergency timetable. We pay £330 a month for gas and electricity. We can’t get a doctors appointment, v difficult to get a dentist and it’s an 18 month wait for an orthodontic referral. Average salary is £30-35k. Our national debt is running at 98% of GDP as opposed to 38% in Aus. It has also not stopped raining - today we have a high of 15, low of 10 and rain all day! These are all facts - not my opinion. 
But, it’s not all bad. Houses are a bit cheaper than Aus (area dependent) and if you’re lucky enough to have any money left over you can still get cheap flights to Europe.😆

• Like 1

The one thing that both my adult sons have commented is that they wished we had been closer to family when they were young. Both partnered with women with big extended family networks and they could see what they missed out on. We were very independent and, yes, isolated, but we made an effort to be engaged both with my husband’s Aussie family and my UK family - not enough, obviously.

I just spent 5 weeks in UK and sure there was random whingeing but it wasn’t as doom and gloom as I had been expecting from reports on here. My family and friends and their kids were all doing well, they all had more holidays than I did! They were generally driving better cars than I could afford despite the more expensive petrol.  My grandson’s education was far in advance of his Aussie cousins at the same age and he had a wealth of opportunities which he really enjoyed.  My son would say that his lifestyle and opportunities are far better in UK and he has no intention of returning for other than the odd holiday as we age. The weather was the weather, I bought a brolly but I’d bought several brollies here too so nothing new there.  

People did have a whinge about the NHS but many of their complaints weren’t that different from what I’ve found here and when you drill down, one is getting really good care for an immune disorder - now it’s been diagnosed. Another has had excellent care for breast cancer. Another’s husband had good care for pneumonia and another’s very premie granddaughter has had very good ongoing care.  But, yes, they complain about having to wait weeks to see their doctor - same here if I want continuity of care and don’t have an emergency situation and I have to pay for it!

Like acquaintances here they all commented on the cost of living increases, interest rate rises etc. so I think that’s pretty universal. Only one chap couldn’t find a job but tbh I don’t know what his skill set was nor what he wanted to work at but he didn’t really present as someone who was busting to get a job!

Some places were looking quite run down but not as many boarded up places as I was expecting, they were rather more just scruffy (Brighton springs to mind but it was still quite vibrant). I met some lovely people who were interesting and helpful (especially up north), most of whom seemed quite happy.

At the end of the day, you do what works for you. As long as you keep options open - assume you have Aus citizenship, that would be fundamental - you can move on if it doesn’t work. Good luck! You’re not alone! 

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I moved back to the UK in 2018 after 13 years in Victoria. Family wasn’t a reason at all as I am not that close to them.

I am fine here, have more disposable income and whilst the rain can be a bit grinding, I am in Cheshire, I lived in the Dandenong Ranges with many a fire warning, so to my mind, if it’s raining it ain’t burning!!!

I don’t think anyone can answer this for you, as each situation is unique.

Cheery thistle clearly needs to move as she has had enough, in 2005 I would have sounded just like her, but in 2018 I could make a load of complaints about Australia, so I moved,Cheery is moving, we will both be happy somewhere, but probably not in the same place at the same time! 😬

I share cheery’s concerns about moving to be near family but then not seeing them much, as many have experienced that, but you may not have that problem.

In short, no answer to your problem but you definitely are not alone. 😁

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

I moved back to the UK in 2018 after 13 years in Victoria. Family wasn’t a reason at all as I am not that close to them.

I am fine here, have more disposable income and whilst the rain can be a bit grinding, I am in Cheshire, I lived in the Dandenong Ranges with many a fire warning, so to my mind, if it’s raining it ain’t burning!!!

Cheery thistle clearly needs to move as she has had enough, in 2005 I would have sounded just like her, but in 2018 I could make a load of complaints about Australia, so I moved,Cheery is moving, we will both be happy somewhere, but probably not in the same place at the same time! 😬

I share cheery’s concerns about moving to be near family but then not seeing them much, as many have experienced that, but you may not have that problem.

You are probably right! 
I do need a change and I’m glad to have this opportunity. 
It might not be forever but I don’t think I’ll be back to the UK if Aus doesn’t work out. 
I have had enough, totally. Brexit was the start of it. Covid, Scottish winter lockdowns, homeschooling, and watching my mum die of lung cancer during lockdown without being able to see anyone or go anywhere, then having a Covid funeral was probably the last straw. Then a series of medical debacles with my hubby and the NHS which I won’t go into.
Since then having to watch what used to be vibrant and well looked after areas get run down and facilities close one by one due to a lack of resources has given me a drive to get out more than ever before. 

I have worn sandals once in Scotland this year. It’s almost mid July. Everyone is tearing their hair out with the weather!! 😁

I might end up feeling the same about Aus. But at least the sun will shine some of the time and I can always move again! 

Also just to add that all of the things I have stated at the end are factual, about the economy, the doctor/dentist, the salaries etc. These are not my opinion. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Like 4

59 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

You are probably right! 
I do need a change and I’m glad to have this opportunity. 
It might not be forever but I don’t think I’ll be back to the UK if Aus doesn’t work out. 
I have had enough, totally. Brexit was the start of it. Covid, Scottish winter lockdowns, homeschooling, and watching my mum die of lung cancer during lockdown without being able to see anyone or go anywhere, then having a Covid funeral was probably the last straw. Then a series of medical debacles with my hubby and the NHS which I won’t go into.
Since then having to watch what used to be vibrant and well looked after areas get run down and facilities close one by one due to a lack of resources has given me a drive to get out more than ever before. 

I have worn sandals once in Scotland this year. It’s almost mid July. Everyone is tearing their hair out with the weather!! 😁

I might end up feeling the same about Aus. But at least the sun will shine some of the time and I can always move again! 

Also just to add that all of the things I have stated at the end are factual, about the economy, the doctor/dentist, the salaries etc. These are not my opinion. 

Choice is good!

I hope that Australia is everything you hope it will be. It was good to me for sure and I am in a better position financially now because of it. 
I think like everywhere health, lockdowns, lifestyle are region specific, so Vic locked down hard from what I can gather but other places closed their state borders and carried on near normally internally. Access to healthcare can be erratic as well state to state, region to region. But if overall things are better for you, these things won’t nark you so much! 😅

Health and happiness to us all on this thread, wherever we are! Huzzah! 😁

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Choice is good!

I hope that Australia is everything you hope it will be. It was good to me for sure and I am in a better position financially now because of it. 
I think like everywhere health, lockdowns, lifestyle are region specific, so Vic locked down hard from what I can gather but other places closed their state borders and carried on near normally internally. Access to healthcare can be erratic as well state to state, region to region. But if overall things are better for you, these things won’t nark you so much! 😅

Health and happiness to us all on this thread, wherever we are! Huzzah! 😁

We haven’t built Aus up as ‘perfect’ (we went for a look around and I posted my thoughts on our trip elsewhere on the forum) but it’s a change and I think that’s actually what we need. 
So I haven’t really got massively high hopes, hopefully if my expectations are low-ish/realistic we might not be too disappointed. It would have to go some to beat the health scenarios we had here though. Really go some. But that’s another story. 
Lockdown was strict across the whole UK (except Downing St 😆) having 2 lockdowns across Scottish winters was the absolute pits. I can’t even put into words how traumatising it was with my mum being so ill as well. It was just - too much. Dealing with a 6 year old only child and a dying parent in that environment. 
More than happy to admit this has coloured my perception of the past 10 years here and we are looking forward to a fresh start. People who have had other experiences will perceive things differently I’m sure. 

We need a reset and an adventure and I’m more or less sure Aus will give us that. If we win financially too that’s a bonus! 

I don’t want to hijack the thread (it’s not ALL about me after all lol). 

So wish the OP all the best with this big decision and I’m glad that Cheshire is working out for you too @Amber Snowball

I’ll let you know how I get on. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Missing family is the single biggest reason why families move back to the UK, so you're very far from being alone.   At the end of the day, only you can decide what's more important to you, lifestyle or family.  

Yes thanks, agreed that life is what you make of it! I think I’ve always known the family part would be a pull, but naively also thought I’d get over it 😅

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Really really think hard about this. 
We are about to make the move in the opposite direction with our 11 year old as we think lifestyle, weather, economy and opportunity will be better for her. 
The UK is not the country you left (you will see this if you visit regularly but it’s not the same as experiencing it daily when living here). 
If you really will see family regularly and you will be a part of their daily or weekly lives (and this will be positive/beneficial) then it might be worthwhile. There have been a lot of people ‘ping pong’ because they want to go back and be close to family but then find that they don’t actually see them all that much and the reality of the lifestyle in the UK is too much of a compromise. 
If you are citizens and can keep your house in Aus and you can afford to live in an affluent area in the UK then in might be worth dipping your toe back in to see what you think. 
Would you take the pets? Importing our 2 dogs to Aus is running £14k at the moment so worth considering that too. It’s not a cheap move lol. 
The UK is in a cost of living crisis. The poverty is visible. I’m in Scotland and lots of our local facilities (like libraries and swimming pools) have closed down. Our railways have just gone on to an emergency timetable. We pay £330 a month for gas and electricity. We can’t get a doctors appointment, v difficult to get a dentist and it’s an 18 month wait for an orthodontic referral. Average salary is £30-35k. Our national debt is running at 98% of GDP as opposed to 38% in Aus. It has also not stopped raining - today we have a high of 15, low of 10 and rain all day! These are all facts - not my opinion. 
But, it’s not all bad. Houses are a bit cheaper than Aus (area dependent) and if you’re lucky enough to have any money left over you can still get cheap flights to Europe.😆

You make some good points and thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you have not made the move previously and I wish you all the best with your upcoming move. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have settled 🙂 

Australia has been good to us, but I could quite easily write a similar list of frustrations. None of these would be deal breakers/major drivers for moving back, it’s more just a pull towards family if I’m honest!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

Thank you for sharing! I’m glad you are happy in Cheshire and that Australia was good to you 🙂

10 hours ago, Quoll said:

The one thing that both my adult sons have commented is that they wished we had been closer to family when they were young. Both partnered with women with big extended family networks and they could see what they missed out on. We were very independent and, yes, isolated, but we made an effort to be engaged both with my husband’s Aussie family and my UK family - not enough, obviously.

I just spent 5 weeks in UK and sure there was random whingeing but it wasn’t as doom and gloom as I had been expecting from reports on here. My family and friends and their kids were all doing well, they all had more holidays than I did! They were generally driving better cars than I could afford despite the more expensive petrol.  My grandson’s education was far in advance of his Aussie cousins at the same age and he had a wealth of opportunities which he really enjoyed.  My son would say that his lifestyle and opportunities are far better in UK and he has no intention of returning for other than the odd holiday as we age. The weather was the weather, I bought a brolly but I’d bought several brollies here too so nothing new there.  

People did have a whinge about the NHS but many of their complaints weren’t that different from what I’ve found here and when you drill down, one is getting really good care for an immune disorder - now it’s been diagnosed. Another has had excellent care for breast cancer. Another’s husband had good care for pneumonia and another’s very premie granddaughter has had very good ongoing care.  But, yes, they complain about having to wait weeks to see their doctor - same here if I want continuity of care and don’t have an emergency situation and I have to pay for it!

Like acquaintances here they all commented on the cost of living increases, interest rate rises etc. so I think that’s pretty universal. Only one chap couldn’t find a job but tbh I don’t know what his skill set was nor what he wanted to work at but he didn’t really present as someone who was busting to get a job!

Some places were looking quite run down but not as many boarded up places as I was expecting, they were rather more just scruffy (Brighton springs to mind but it was still quite vibrant). I met some lovely people who were interesting and helpful (especially up north), most of whom seemed quite happy.

At the end of the day, you do what works for you. As long as you keep options open - assume you have Aus citizenship, that would be fundamental - you can move on if it doesn’t work. Good luck! You’re not alone! 

Thank you, appreciate the detailed reply and agree with the sentiments you share re UK outlook based on what we have witnessed and discussions with family and friends.

At the end of the day, life there would be similar to life here in terms of the day to day, but just with family too. Who knows, maybe a move back to Australia once the kids are older/have their own families and lives could be how it all pans out 😂

• Like 2

@Atlas I am in a similar situation to you and now planning a move back to UK England after 7 years in Australia 4 of those in Melbourne. 

Number 1 reason being for my son (only child) to have more contact with family.

Although we won't be close by, 3 visits a year will be a massive difference to once every 2-3 years. Plus my son is my parents only grandchild and they aren't able to visit us due to my dads medical conditions.  

We will earn less in UK but housing costs will also be lower so will all even out. I think the cost living crisis is affecting people everywhere, costs here have risen greatly as well. 

I think the crunch point for me is that my son is due to start school here in 2025. So if we are going to go back it's now or never. 

I am sure there will be some cold winter days where we miss Melbourne, but better than spending every birthday and Christmas in isolation from family. 

Edited by kmrg
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, kmrg said:

@Atlas I am in a similar situation to you and now planning a move back to UK England after 7 years in Australia 4 of those in Melbourne. 

Number 1 reason being for my son (only child) to have more contact with family.

Although we won't be close by, 3 visits a year will be a massive difference to once every 2-3 years. Plus my son is my parents only grandchild and they aren't able to visit us due to my dads medical conditions.  

We will earn less in UK but housing costs will also be lower so will all even out. I think the cost living crisis is affecting people everywhere, costs here have risen greatly as well. 

I think the crunch point for me is that my son is due to start school here in 2025. So if we are going to go back it's now or never. 

I am sure there will be some cold winter days where we miss Melbourne, but better than spending every birthday and Christmas in isolation from family. 

Oh all the best with the move! Have you set a date yet? Agree re the cost of living also being an issue in Melbourne too - don’t think it’s unique to any country at the moment. I totally agree with you regarding Christmas and birthdays feeling isolated from family. It will be very special to be able to share with family 🙂

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Atlas said:

You make some good points and thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you have not made the move previously and I wish you all the best with your upcoming move. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you have settled 🙂 

Australia has been good to us, but I could quite easily write a similar list of frustrations. None of these would be deal breakers/major drivers for moving back, it’s more just a pull towards family if I’m honest!

Exactly. I could write a list of frustrations about both places. It’s about where you want to be I think. Because if you are where you are meant to be, the frustrations reduce to niggles and don’t matter so much. And you can always move again if/when needs change. Life evolves.

I can’t even bring myself to want to visit Australia currently even though my son is there. I still struggle to verbalise why I wanted to leave, but all I knew was I couldn’t stay. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It sounds nuts even to me!

All the best with your move back, as it sounds like you are decided!

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Exactly. I could write a list of frustrations about both places. It’s about where you want to be I think. Because if you are where you are meant to be, the frustrations reduce to niggles and don’t matter so much. And you can always move again if/when needs change. Life evolves.

I can’t even bring myself to want to visit Australia currently even though my son is there. I still struggle to verbalise why I wanted to leave, but all I knew was I couldn’t stay. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It sounds nuts even to me!

Yes totally agree, at the end of the day both are first world countries and both will have ups and downs. Tbh we feel fortunate to be able to choose between the two 🙂 

And thank you! We will see how we go over the next 12 months and what the job situation is like in our respective industries. The hassle of moving does feel quite daunting and makes me wonder why we ever moved in the first place 😂

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

That’s how I feel about the UK. I am just so ‘done’ with the lifestyle and systems here! I can’t put it into words! So I completely understand. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Atlas said:

Yes totally agree, at the end of the day both are first world countries and both will have ups and downs. Tbh we feel fortunate to be able to choose between the two 🙂 

And thank you! We will see how we go over the next 12 months and what the job situation is like in our respective industries. The hassle of moving does feel quite daunting and makes me wonder why we ever moved in the first place 😂

Well there’s definitely a reason you moved, which may come into sharp focus when you return! 😁

That’s similar to us - feel very privileged to have a choice. Have decided if Aus doesn’t work we’ll go to Europe - hubby has Irish grandparents - we are definitely craving a warmer climate. 43 Scottish winters is enough. 

I think the big difference for us is our stage of life, we are a bit older with just one parent left between us and daughter about to start high school. Don’t have young kids or a massive supportive extended family. 

It’s an exciting move for you guys, wish you all the best! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Well there’s definitely a reason you moved, which may come into sharp focus when you return! 😁

That’s similar to us - feel very privileged to have a choice. Have decided if Aus doesn’t work we’ll go to Europe - hubby has Irish grandparents - we are definitely craving a warmer climate. 43 Scottish winters is enough. 

I think the big difference for us is our stage of life, we are a bit older with just one parent left between us and daughter about to start high school. Don’t have young kids or a massive supportive extended family. 

I did get the cushions out for the garden furniture today. Although it's forecast rain tomorrow. But hey.

You should be where you want to be. When I set my mind to change, it's hard to change it back.

Although the UK does have a failed summer every so often. Like it has a brilliant one every so often. Next year will be different.

But if you've set your mind to move. I still have a wish to have a foot in both countries.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Oh for sure. For me personally, I was in my twenties and wanted an adventure which Australia certainly provided. In terms of what I personally want for my kids growing up, it doesn’t feel quite right, but everyone has a different set of circumstances 🙂 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Atlas said:

Oh all the best with the move! Have you set a date yet? Agree re the cost of living also being an issue in Melbourne too - don’t think it’s unique to any country at the moment. I totally agree with you regarding Christmas and birthdays feeling isolated from family. It will be very special to be able to share with family 🙂

We have only just come to agreement on moving, it has been on my mind for a couple of years, but my husband is now in agreement after our last visit back to UK in May. He met up with work colleagues there whilst we were over to get an idea of his options. 
One other concern for us is having the time and money to visit UK regularly, cost of flights has risen and as you only get 20 days annual leave here it can be difficult to make the time, especially once our son is in school next year. We only have 1 child so not sure how you manage with the costs of visiting @Atlas

We are now looking for a job for my husband in UK, hoping he might be able to transfer back with his current employer as it is an international company. Bit up in the air at the moment something could come up next week, or we might be still planning in a years' time. Both in agreement on where we will and won't consider living so that's the main thing.

We know there will be compromises (probably with location as my husband's work in food science /production means there are only a few options) but overall will be best decision in long term for our family. 

Just a last note on the weather, if people are moving to Melbourne be prepared, even though the winters are milder the houses are colder due to poor insulation and single pane windows. I had my first ever experience of getting chill blains whilst living here!

I do notice the impact in terms of the cost of heating the house here in Melbourne (we are in a rental), my bills have risen significantly in the last couple of years. As I said I think cost of living is rising everywhere so not really a major consideration when deciding whether to move back to England for us. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kmrg said:
We have only just come to agreement on moving, it has been on my mind for a couple of years, but my husband is now in agreement after our last visit back to UK in May. He met up with work colleagues there whilst we were over to get an idea of his options. 
One other concern for us is having the time and money to visit UK regularly, cost of flights has risen and as you only get 20 days annual leave here it can be difficult to make the time, especially once our son is in school next year. We only have 1 child so not sure how you manage with the costs of visiting @Atlas

We are now looking for a job for my husband in UK, hoping he might be able to transfer back with his current employer as it is an international company. Bit up in the air at the moment something could come up next week, or we might be still planning in a years' time. Both in agreement on where we will and won't consider living so that's the main thing.

We know there will be compromises (probably with location as my husband's work in food science /production means there are only a few options) but overall will be best decision in long term for our family. 

Just a last note on the weather, if people are moving to Melbourne be prepared, even though the winters are milder the houses are colder due to poor insulation and single pane windows. I had my first ever experience of getting chill blains whilst living here!

I do notice the impact in terms of the cost of heating the house here in Melbourne (we are in a rental), my bills have risen significantly in the last couple of years. As I said I think cost of living is rising everywhere so not really a major consideration when deciding whether to move back to England for us. 

We are headed to Brisbane. Wanted to escape winters. I’m fairly sure that winters are milder in QLD than in Scotland. Though I’m sure someone on PiO will tell me I’m talking rubbish and QLD is freezing. Chilblains are not on my list of concerns - spiders and cockroaches are though! 😁 

We are not moving for the weather, but climate is a factor in our move - if it wasn’t Aus we’d be going somewhere else warmer. 
It’s not just the cost of living crisis exactly here, it’s the combination of that with low wages and the lack of investment and the lack of public money, the closure of services. You’ll (maybe) see what I mean once you’ve been back a while. For example, a local school parent who is in the parent council told me the school has £8 per pupil per year for resources. My daughter’s swim club has a constant battle to find suitable venues for swimming lessons because so many pools have closed. In Brisbane we were literally tripping over pools and free lagoons/splash pools.

We were also pleasantly surprised by the price of things when we were over - found many things to be very similar in price and going out was definitely quite a lot cheaper. 

My advice to anyone moving back is to try and move to one of the more affluent pockets if you can afford it and jobs allow - that way you’ll be cushioned somewhat. 

This article gives a wee insight into my ‘whingeing’ https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-66954929.amp North Lanarkshire to close 39 pools, leisure centres and libraries. 

Also attaching some pics of the bare shelves in supermarkets (taken in the middle of the day, not last thing at night) and a video of our summer so far (watch with volume up)!  😆

IMG_7646.thumb.jpeg.8239898f657efb45d62681c40ccfac07.jpegIMG_7645.thumb.jpeg.897eb69784681e96aa6de8838458e9b0.jpeg

I genuinely wish you all the best for the move back and if you strongly feel that’s where you should be then it’s likely you’re right and all the other stuff is completely irrelevant/insignificant. 

We have reached the point of no return with our move and we’re going to find out for ourselves the challenges of living in Aus. It’s true that life is a challenge no matter where you are. Good luck with it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

We are headed to Brisbane. Wanted to escape winters. I’m fairly sure that winters are milder in QLD than in Scotland. Though I’m sure someone on PiO will tell me I’m talking rubbish and QLD is freezing. Chilblains are not on my list of concerns - spiders and cockroaches are though! 😁 

Of course the QLD winters are undoubtedly milder than Scottish winters.  😄  I know a few people here in Tasmania who spend the winters in QLD.  I don't mind the cold weather.  The weather that I don't like is dreich, wet, cloudy days that go on for days and days or even weeks.  I've not had chilblains since I was a wee lassie -  not even here in the cold Tassie winter we are having.

Not long until your big move!

• Like 2