Never thought I’d be posting here

Atlas

12 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Couldn’t agree more. We loved our life here 10 years ago and just feel it’s changed beyond all recognition. Loss after loss - facilities, wealth, EU rights, hope for the future. Puff of smoke. 
Lots of good - innovation, proximity to Europe, outward looking (or we used to be). But not enough to keep us here. 

It’s so bloody sad. And we did it to ourselves.  

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Whilst that is very politely put, you are still telling me to be quiet which, to be honest, since I’m not being offensive, I don’t appreciate. Whilst people come here looking for reassurance, I also think it’s important for them to know the potential downsides of a move back. Indeed, you do often get people who ping pong when they realise life in the UK isn’t for them after all! 
Everyone needs to have their own journey. 
Conversely, since I first appeared on the forum I was strongly discouraged and put off even applying for the visa, told I probably wouldn’t even get one at my age and then repeatedly told how life in Aus isn’t all roses etc etc like I am not a grown up, professional and reasonably well-informed adult who can make my own decisions. Not many people have ‘jumped in’ on my behalf to tell people to stop being so negative and back off, however when I tell my truth people don’t seem to like it and feel like they can try to shush me. 
I have started this journey the way I intend to finish it - by proving all the naysayers wrong! Getting my 189 in 6 months start to finish may have just been luck but I do think what’s for you won’t go by you. 
Anyway I’m off to watch the athletics and have a wee glass of wine. This isn’t getting anyone anywhere! 

You are mistaken, if my post was polite it is because I genuinely accept that you write as you see things however, I have a different view and experience and chose to share it. I've been a member of the forum for a long time and don't think I have ever tried to deny the issues the UK is dealing with, nor have I sought to belittle or silence anyone for expressing a view that differs from my own. It's a forum, a conversation with differing views expressed all the time, and  offering a different opinion does not have to be confrontational. Anyway I am conscious the OPs thread is in danger of  unravelling and as I don't think I can add much else I will leave it at that, and retire from the thread. T x

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

For all it's good points Australia has some major negatives that the UK does much better

Sport - Australia has foraged a US style path in sports where everything is about high scores, half time entertainment and level setting each year so everyone has a chance next year (and the concept of a grand final knockout to decide who wins after a 30 game season is just f'ing mental)

Beer - good god the stuff here is crap, it's only palettable because it's served so cold it freezes your taste buds so you don't have to taste it

Public transport - doesn't exist outside of the CBD of major cities and then it's still pretty poor

But happy here for now, but then we've lived all over the world and life is what you make it

Excellent beer available here.  Boutique breweries and brew places everywhere.  They even have godawful ale if you’re so inclined. 

3 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Well actually the English and Welsh did it to the Scots and Irish…..but that’s another story! 😉😂

I'm not sure you can say that nowadays, if you look at the electorate in Scotland for instance it is made up of more than 50% of people who were born elsewhere other than Scotland 

You can say more people in England by ratio for voted for Brexit than people living in Scotland did but it would be impossible (due to ballot secrecy laws) to render any statement about the Scottish nationality of the votes cast north of the border. 

It could be the majority of "Scots" voted for Brexit but the number of incomers north of the border voting to remain pushed the national tally to remain.

We'll never know but until Scotland stops being fixated on the let's become independent but still blame England for everything things won't get any better. (hint Scotland's problems are because the Scottish electorate voted in a cabal that has turned out to be even more criminal than Boris and his mates)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

It could be the majority of "Scots" voted for Brexit but the number of incomers north of the border voting to remain pushed the national tally to remain.

I'm doubtful about that.  I'm Scottish by birth.  I know my siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews and their friends in Scotland are only a small sample of the population, but they are all 100% Scottish and they all voted to remain. 

2 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I'm doubtful about that.  I'm Scottish by birth.  I know my siblings/cousins/nieces/nephews and their friends in Scotland are only a small sample of the population, but they are all 100% Scottish and they all voted to remain. 

I'm doubtful too, but I was highlighting that sweeping statements about the superiority of a nation are generally a good thing and often the reality is not as polarised as the statement made

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I have taken on board what the sensible people here have said and I have been to see for myself. I know where my life will be better. I don’t need to move to prove myself or to get a job - I’ve done well where I am. 

Good luck with your move, you seem to be coming with a realistic positive attitude.  
We came in different circumstances 21 years ago, we came for a couple of years, to enjoy Australia, before returning to England when we retired as expats living in Brunei.
We never left!!!  and have no regrets staying, there have of course been ups and downs, but that happens anywhere you live.

As a long time member I do think there is a more negative attitude over the last few years  on PIO to new posters who are looking to emigrate, it’s  fine to point out things that might not have been thought it through, and sadly it doesn’t look very possible, but the inference often comes across instantly slightly harshly negative , as you don’t have a chance, but unless the member replying is a MA, everyone else’s replies are from amateurs, who might not be aware of different possibilities. 
I realise poster’s genuinely try to help, and it’s fine to try to be realistic, but many new posters have commented over the years, that because of the way they have been replied to,  they won’t ever be back.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tea4too said:

I understand where you are coming from, and from your posts elsewhere on the forum appreciate your determination to embrace a new start and a new life. However in this area of the forum in particular it is maybe helpful to those thinking of making a return to the UK to know that it is still possible to live here happily. Where people return to, what they value and what grinds their gears are all relevant, but then I guess similar criteria could be applied to moves the other way, so sharing personal experience is not a bad thing, and hopefully it is helpful to know that one person's view may not be shared by another. T x

I read this UK area of the forum but from now on I won't participate in it.  From personal experience with one or two posters in the past, things can get quite nasty.  I can't be bothered with all that now.  It was once suggested by one of those posters that because I am one of the happy people living in Australia that I shouldn't even be looking at the UK area of the forum.  😅 😁  Hadn't realised there was a forum law against reading it. 😵‍💫

• Sad 3

6 hours ago, Ausvisitor said:

I'm doubtful too, but I was highlighting that sweeping statements about the superiority of a nation are generally a good thing and often the reality is not as polarised as the statement made

Who made a sweeping statement about ‘superiority’? Think you might have a wee exposed nerve there.

1 hour ago, Toots said:

I read this UK area of the forum but from now on I won't participate in it.  From personal experience with one or two posters in the past, things can get quite nasty.  I can't be bothered with all that now.  It was once suggested by one of those posters that because I am one of the happy people living in Australia that I shouldn't even be looking at the UK area of the forum.  😅 😁  Hadn't realised there was a forum law against reading it. 😵‍💫

Yes it seems if you don’t want to say that everything in the UK is all rainbows and unicorns then you’re not particularly welcome in here. I think that’s my point, it’s perfectly acceptable for established members to ‘Aus bash’ to hopeful migrants, but doesn’t seem to be acceptable for anyone to raise caveats about the UK. 
For my part, I’m a similar age and stage in life to a lot of the people who are thinking of returning to the UK and if it was me, I would value hearing from someone who was about to move in the opposite direction.
Bottom line is most who post have already made up their minds anyway so what difference does it make??! 

5 hours ago, ramot said:

Good luck with your move, you seem to be coming with a realistic positive attitude.  
We came in different circumstances 21 years ago, we came for a couple of years, to enjoy Australia, before returning to England when we retired as expats living in Brunei.
We never left!!!  and have no regrets staying, there have of course been ups and downs, but that happens anywhere you live.

As a long time member I do think there is a more negative attitude over the last few years  on PIO to new posters who are looking to emigrate, it’s  fine to point out things that might not have been thought it through, and sadly it doesn’t look very possible, but the inference often comes across instantly slightly harshly negative , as you don’t have a chance, but unless the member replying is a MA, everyone else’s replies are from amateurs, who might not be aware of different possibilities. 
I realise poster’s genuinely try to help, and it’s fine to try to be realistic, but many new posters have commented over the years, that because of the way they have been replied to,  they won’t ever be back.

Exactly this Ramot. And then people post wondering where contributors have disappeared to! 🤔

I'm not sure you can say that nowadays, if you look at the electorate in Scotland for instance it is made up of more than 50% of people who were born elsewhere other than Scotland 

You can say more people in England by ratio for voted for Brexit than people living in Scotland did but it would be impossible (due to ballot secrecy laws) to render any statement about the Scottish nationality of the votes cast north of the border. 

We'll never know but until Scotland stops being fixated on the let's become independent but still blame England for everything things won't get any better. (hint Scotland's problems are because the Scottish electorate voted in a cabal that has turned out to be even more criminal than Boris and his mates)

Where are you getting the stat that more than 50% of Scottish electorate is born outside of Scotland?

@Blue Manna just nonsense as frequently seems to be the case on the forum! The 2022 census has 77% saying they are (white) Scottish and a further 10% or so (white) British. 
I think @Ausvisitor may have just made this one up as I can’t find a thing to back it up. 
https://www.scotlandscensus.gov.uk/2022-results/scotland-s-census-2022-ethnic-group-national-identity-language-and-religion/#:~:text=Scotland's Census asked people to,up 87.1% of the population.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/08/2024 at 17:46, Cheery Thistle said:

Yes it seems if you don’t want to say that everything in the UK is all rainbows and unicorns then you’re not particularly welcome in here. I think that’s my point, it’s perfectly acceptable for established members to ‘Aus bash’ to hopeful migrants, but doesn’t seem to be acceptable for anyone to raise caveats about the UK. 
For my part, I’m a similar age and stage in life to a lot of the people who are thinking of returning to the UK and if it was me, I would value hearing from someone who was about to move in the opposite direction.
Bottom line is most who post have already made up their minds anyway so what difference does it make??! 

Hi Cheery Thistle 

100% with you . We moved from England to Australia nearly 8 years ago now 

Best decision we ever made for our family especially my daughter 

We’d never go back 

I live in Darwin which isn’t perfect has some social issues but overall it’s been a fantastic experience and place for us to live 

It won’t happen overnight but if you work at it you can go far in Australia in a short time 

Myself and wife both have good paying jobs. My wife a Deputy CEO & I work for the Northern Territory Government 

My wife is earning quadruple what she earned in England and I’m double 

it’s enabled us to build a house, send our daughter to private school to a school that is one of the best in Australia it’s a campus of a Melbourne school 

Made good friends and actually living in Darwin has helped as it’s a smaller environment, people need to help each other and many don’t have family up here 

In nearly 8 years I’ve been back twice and my wife is due back for her 6th time in October and we’ve had numerous trips to places in Australia 

We’ve been able to live a lifestyle that we would never have in the UK 

It’s not all been a bed of roses we’ve worked hard , we both took jobs that were mistakes and left , had terrible landlords before building , , crap first school, shit cars and costly operations and got frustrated with Australia . If people think Melbourne is 10 years behind the Uk then Darwin is about 20 lol 

Darwin can be frustrating as generally some customer service is poor 

You have to remember the first house, job, car, school or even friends won’t be the ones you’re stuck with forever 

I’m a proud Englishman and we all have Australian citizenship now but I’ll never be Australian. I embrace the culture but can’t switch off 41 years of living in England before emigrating 

I love returning to England but as you’ve mentioned and from speaking to family and friends the cost of living and all the other issues like NHS waiting lists, Doctors appointments and many more aren’t opinion it’s facts 

I get a Doctors appointment the day I want it or a dentist etc 

When I went back in January I actually went to Scotland, I’m embarrassed to say it was my first time 

I was time limited only having 6 days but stayed in Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it and can’t wait to go back and see more of Scotland . I visited the cities my Scottish ancestors came from 

Good Luck with the move 

Paul 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PFC1975 said:

Hi Cheery Thistle 

We’d never go back 

I live in Darwin which isn’t perfect has some social issues but overall it’s been a fantastic experience and place for us to live 

It won’t happen overnight but if you work at it you can go far in Australia in a short time 

Myself and wife both have good paying jobs. My wife a Deputy CEO & I work for the Northern Territory Government 

it’s enabled us to build a house, send our daughter to private school to a school that is one of the best in Australia it’s a campus of a Melbourne school 

Made good friends and actually living in Darwin has helped as it’s a smaller environment, people need to help each other and many don’t have family up here 

In nearly 8 years I’ve been back twice and my wife is due back for her 6th time in October and we’ve had numerous trips to places in Australia 

It’s not all been a bed of roses we’ve worked hard , we both took jobs that were mistakes and left , had terrible landlords before building , , crap first school, shit cars and costly operations and got frustrated with Australia . If people think Melbourne is 10 years behind the Uk then Darwin is about 20 lol 

You have to remember the first house, job, car, school or even friends won’t be the ones you’re stuck with forever 

I’m a proud Englishman and we all have Australian citizenship now but I’ll never be Australian. I embrace the culture but can’t switch off 41 years of living in England before emigrating 

I love returning to England but as you’ve mentioned and from speaking to family and friends the cost of living and all the other issues like NHS waiting lists, Doctors appointments and many more aren’t opinion it’s facts 

When I went back in January I actually went to Scotland, I’m embarrassed to say it was my first time 

I was time limited only having 6 days but stayed in Aberdeen, Dundee and Edinburgh. Absolutely loved it and can’t wait to go back and see more of Scotland . I visited the cities my Scottish ancestors came from 

Good Luck with the move 

Paul 

Great honest post.  

7 hours ago, PFC1975 said:

Hi Cheery Thistle 

We’d never go back 

Good Luck with the move 

Paul 

Thanks Paul, we are enterprising individuals and I would say pretty resilient. 

I don’t really ‘get’ the backlash that I get on this forum. 

Water off a ducks back anyway. 

Appreciate your post and wish you continued success. 

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Great honest post.  

Would be interested to know why you picked Darwin? Only because I've not seen a whole lot of expats move there. Glad all has worked out for you!

7 hours ago, PFC1975 said:

Hi Cheery Thistle 

We’d never go back 

Good Luck with the move 

Paul 

Sorry, my q about Darwin was in response to this, not @Tulip1!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Thanks Paul, we are enterprising individuals and I would say pretty resilient. 

I don’t really ‘get’ the backlash that I get on this forum. 

Water off a ducks back anyway. 

Appreciate your post and wish you continued success. 

I can see why you get a backlash. You are blunt, straightforward and get to the point. Sometimes quick to see offence where it wasn't meant (it was just crap phrasing in the fast written post).

That said I have huge respect for people who have your attitude and "call a spade a spade" so much better than the usual lurkers of most forums who are either just total trolls out for a reaction, or pacifiers always looking to engender agreement even when disagreement is healthy and human nature.

Don't change (I doubt you would anyway 😏) your approach is refreshing (if at times challenging and frustrating - but that's my problem not yours!)

• Like 4

On 10/07/2024 at 15:46, Atlas said:

Hi all, 

Husband and I are seriously considering moving back to the UK, and whilst I’ve always known it could be a possibility, I’m surprised that we still feel a pull after being quite settled in Melbourne for the past 7 years. 

We have good, secure jobs over here, bought a property 3 years ago, have 3 children aged 5 and under and have 2 cats and a dog. We have made some fantastic friends along the way and our kids are happy, as are we for the most part!

The tricky part has always been distance from family. Our immediate family all live in England or Scotland and as the kids get older, and parents get older, it feels harder and harder to justify being so far away. It’s not so much that we are looking for support or help with the kids, but more that we are a close family and just miss seeing them. 

Whilst the lifestyle in Australia is great, I guess we don’t feel like we will be able to replace that family connection? We try to see family every 12 months now that we have kids, but this is of course expensive and leaves little leftover in terms of holiday funds and annual leave. We feel that our kids are young enough that they’d really benefit from a closer relationship with grandparents and cousins etc. though, so we make it work financially for now.

Curious to hear from others who felt the same, in particular those with young kids.

Thank you for reading!

Money, houses, jobs and weather are nice but you can't replace family. Once they're gone they're gone and you may regret your kids not having had that connection and memories as well as for yourself. You're very lucky you go back once a year, that's more than many. I've just moved to Aus but if my dad starts getting sicker (already has heart problems) and needs my help I'll be going back. I'm hoping it won't be for another 2 or even 4 years so I can get citzenship first to make it easier moving back again if I want to. I talk to family regulaly on whatsapp but it doesn't replace being there in person. It's always a hard decision either way though when you have life, opportunity and feelings in both places. 

@Cheery Thistle

I've been here around 4 weeks now in northern Queensland. It's 30oC, dry, bright and sunny every day but I was bitten by something that itched like crazy for around 3 days but I'm not dying. I saw on the news that there's been violent riots and fire setting in my UK city and not even 5 minutes drive up the road from my house in the last week or so. Similaly foreign nurses getting physically attacked on their way to work and it not being safe for women on public transport in the evenings now. The atmosphere in the UK right now is scary, way more than it ever has been in my 30+ lifetime. It's hard to fully appreciate unless you're there living amongst it. Cost of living and mortgages going up doesn't bother me as much as this. It has been on the news here as well about some violent attacks but pretty sparse and not in my area. I know where I'd rather be right now but time will tell. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, RubyMonday said:

Money, houses, jobs and weather are nice but you can't replace family. Once they're gone they're gone and you may regret your kids not having had that connection and memories as well as for yourself. You're very lucky you go back once a year, that's more than many. I've just moved to Aus but if my dad starts getting sicker (already has heart problems) and needs my help I'll be going back. I'm hoping it won't be for another 2 or even 4 years so I can get citzenship first to make it easier moving back again if I want to. I talk to family regulaly on whatsapp but it doesn't replace being there in person. It's always a hard decision either way though when you have life, opportunity and feelings in both places. 

@Cheery Thistle

I've been here around 4 weeks now in northern Queensland. It's 30oC, dry, bright and sunny every day but I was bitten by something that itched like crazy for around 3 days but I'm not dying. I saw on the news that there's been violent riots and fire setting in my UK city and not even 5 minutes drive up the road from my house in the last week or so. Similaly foreign nurses getting physically attacked on their way to work and it not being safe for women on public transport in the evenings now. The atmosphere in the UK right now is scary, way more than it ever has been in my 30+ lifetime. It's hard to fully appreciate unless you're there living amongst it. Cost of living and mortgages going up doesn't bother me as much as this. It has been on the news here as well about some violent attacks but pretty sparse and not in my area. I know where I'd rather be right now but time will tell. 

‘Something bit me’ lol. That will be me, I get eaten alive. Worst I’ve had was horse fly bites when working in ‘the camp’ in Italy (don’t ask). I also seem to ‘react’ to things biting me so something that should be minor can turn in to a medical event 😆
Sounds like you’re settling in well and no regrets so far. I’m the same with my Dad, if he gets unwell I may have to come back, we have discussed it and I may come back on my own (it’s tricky because we have a daughter who will be at high school so have to wait and see). Like you, hoping he lasts ok at least until we’re settled. He is getting old. 
The dry bright and sunny sounds like a dream it’s just been so soggy and grey here, I said to a friend the thing I am most looking forward to is the light! 
Yes the rioting and underlying tensions have been fun, along with the literally daily stabbings that seem to be happening. We go to London for the weekend in a couple of weeks and must admit the Leicester Square one and Southport attack did give me the fear (DD is same age). I know rationally it’s unlikely but hubby and I will just be on ‘high alert’ the whole time which, let’s face it, isn’t a great way to live your life! From that aspect I am glad to be in Scotland where there is definitely less tension and random stabbings do occur but seem to be less frequent. 
I never used to bother about walking home at night etc but I won’t do it now as there have been several attacks near our train station. 
About to find out if it’s really ‘better’ on the other side, for our part we have a nice house, good jobs and (some) money here (not as much as we used to lol) so we’ll see how it goes. 
I hope you continue to settle in well. 

I can see why you get a backlash. You are blunt, straightforward and get to the point. Sometimes quick to see offence where it wasn't meant (it was just crap phrasing in the fast written post).

That said I have huge respect for people who have your attitude and "call a spade a spade" so much better than the usual lurkers of most forums who are either just total trolls out for a reaction, or pacifiers always looking to engender agreement even when disagreement is healthy and human nature.

Don't change (I doubt you would anyway 😏) your approach is refreshing (if at times challenging and frustrating - but that's my problem not yours!)

I think I am more or less full formed at 44 and unlikely to change much. That said, sometimes people say they value honesty and then, when you’re honest they really don’t like it. I’m probably the same as everyone else there - I am human after all! 

I have never had a problem making and keeping friends. As ever, the right people accept you for what you are, good bits and bad bits. I am equally tolerant of others’ faults and have many friendships of 10 years plus and some of 20 years plus. So I can’t be that bad! Didn’t have any issues with Aussies and sense of humour when we were over either - they ‘got’ me perfectly! I am happy to not agree with folk and not fall out with them - lots of people struggle with that. 

I think I trigger some people because I have strong opinions, I’m capable and confident and I don’t put up with nonsense. This is the same in real life, but I’m probably warmer and funnier than I come across on a forum. I must be, or I’d have zero pals 🤣

I’m busy just now with moving but I’ll be sure to let you know how we get on. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I think I am more or less full formed at 44 and unlikely to change much. That said, sometimes people say they value honesty and then, when you’re honest they really don’t like it. I’m probably the same as everyone else there - I am human after all! 

I have never had a problem making and keeping friends. As ever, the right people accept you for what you are, good bits and bad bits. I am equally tolerant of others’ faults and have many friendships of 10 years plus and some of 20 years plus. So I can’t be that bad! Didn’t have any issues with Aussies and sense of humour when we were over either - they ‘got’ me perfectly! I am happy to not agree with folk and not fall out with them - lots of people struggle with that. 

I think I trigger some people because I have strong opinions, I’m capable and confident and I don’t put up with nonsense. This is the same in real life, but I’m probably warmer and funnier than I come across on a forum. I must be, or I’d have zero pals 🤣

I’m busy just now with moving but I’ll be sure to let you know how we get on. 

Good luck with the move, what city did you settle on in the end - I'm sure I've read it but can't remember