Car hire Perth

StevenP

Hi All, we are coming over in November for 3 weeks to prepare for the big move. I have been looking at care hire was looking for some advice on who is the best to use? I have found some around $1300 all in with full insurance for SUV which seems ok for the period required. This was with No Birds only issue with them is we fly in on Saturday at 18:00 and they appear to close at 10am on Saturday which is strange for a hire car but maybe an Australia thing. 

Any tips would be amazing TIA

I always use Rentalcars.com. They give you a 3rd party insurance option which is much cheaper but slightly more awkward if you have to make a claim.

I don't know about Perth but in a lot of places the cheaper options are a shuttle bus ride away rather than in the airport. Simple and quick becomes more important than saving a few quid after 20 hours flying.

Edited by Dimmo

1 hour ago, StevenP said:

Hi All, we are coming over in November for 3 weeks to prepare for the big move. I have been looking at care hire was looking for some advice on who is the best to use? I have found some around $1300 all in with full insurance for SUV which seems ok for the period required. This was with No Birds only issue with them is we fly in on Saturday at 18:00 and they appear to close at 10am on Saturday which is strange for a hire car but maybe an Australia thing. 

Any tips would be amazing TIA

I've used No Birds in Perth on several occasions when I live there. Where are you looking at collecting the car from? It might be worth taking a taxi to your accomodation and collecting the car on Sunday morning from their Perth city office.

https://www.nobirds.com.au/perth/car-hire

Edited by Drumbeat

2 hours ago, StevenP said:

we fly in on Saturday at 18:00 and they appear to close at 10am on Saturday which is strange for a hire car but maybe an Australia thing. 

It's unlikely you'll need the car on Saturday night, so why would you pay for the car to sit there unused till Sunday some time?   Get a taxi from the airport to your accommodation, then book the car hire starting on Sunday morning from the Perth city office.  

12 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's unlikely you'll need the car on Saturday night, so why would you pay for the car to sit there unused till Sunday some time?   Get a taxi from the airport to your accommodation, then book the car hire starting on Sunday morning from the Perth city office.  

Is the train station at Perth airport built yet? It looked close last time I was there.

I would caution driving after flying in. Perth has booze stops everywhere, so they need to be careful drinking on the plane. Also, driving out of Perth airport is quite complicated now. I wouldn't want to do it after a flight if I wasn't familiar. 

Taxi is a good suggestion, or an Uber would be cheaper. Train if possible.

They also need to make sure their hotel has parking.

• Like 1

I come over to Perth at least once a year for a few weeks at a time. The last three times I've used Bayswater (aka No Birds) and they are great. Much cheaper than the big brands and good, new vehicles. The only downside is they are off-airport but after a long flight from LHR we wouldn't want to drive anyway so pick up the next day from their office just off Adelaide Terrace  in the CBD where their staff are super-efficient.

Edited by bonanza
Clarified office location
  • Like 2

They also have an office in Fremantle which could be easier to collect from , the train station at the airport is fully open now The international terminal is linked directly ,the domestic station there is a shuttle to terminal

Edited by shaunfreo
Addition

21 hours ago, StevenP said:

we fly in on Saturday at 18:00 and they appear to close at 10am on Saturday which is strange for a hire car but maybe an Australia thing. 

Recently the CBD and Freo offices have extended their hours to 7 day working so double check the hours. FWIW this is our method, it might work for you: land at PER approx 18.30, head to CBD hotel (taxi or train) for 1 night to get acclimatised and because you'll want a big all you can eat breakfast at 06.30 the following morning!  Pick up hire car from no birds afterwards and head to longer term accomm. Last day drop car at No Birds and get taxi to PER either from outside their office or Pan Pacific hotel. 

With No Birds there is a local car rate and a rate for extended mileage ranges eg including Margaret River. I've tried taking their own CDW waiver insurance and on another trip  I've bought an annual car hire insurance separately. The latter is cheaper but No Birds will take a 2000 dollar security deposit on your credit card for the duration of the rental. They give it, back but if you might need access to that credit during your trip watch out for this.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bonanza said:

Recently the CBD and Freo offices have extended their hours to 7 day working so double check the hours. FWIW this is our method, it might work for you: land at PER approx 18.30, head to CBD hotel (taxi or train) for 1 night to get acclimatised and because you'll want a big all you can eat breakfast at 06.30 the following morning!  Pick up hire car from no birds afterwards and head to longer term accomm. Last day drop car at No Birds and get taxi to PER either from outside their office or Pan Pacific hotel. 

With No Birds there is a local car rate and a rate for extended mileage ranges eg including Margaret River. I've tried taking their own CDW waiver insurance and on another trip  I've bought an annual car hire insurance separately. The latter is cheaper but No Birds will take a 2000 dollar security deposit on your credit card for the duration of the rental. They give it, back but if you might need access to that credit during your trip watch out for this.

Their standard hire includes Margeret River, it covers from Albany to Geraldton.

Edited to say I never used them for a while as you need a credit card and I lasted 8 years without eventually getting it for reasons such as this

Edited by welljock