RRV - about to lapse - anyone have any thoughts on our situation?

hawkmoon1704

Our RRV will run out in October but returning by then is proving difficult. We have been offshore more than 5 years. I have a job offer that I've accepted and paper work is going through.

Boss will hold job for 6 months if I need.

If I apply for a new RRV now, will that application cancel my current RRV? If I apply for new RRV and it is unsuccessful will I be able to still travel on current RRV before expiry?

I don't think they'd extend an RRV, so I'm really just wondering the likelihood of getting a new one or should I pull out all stops to try travel before October.

Would I be better to get to Aus then apply for a new RRV once there?

44 minutes ago, hawkmoon1704 said:

Our RRV will run out in October but returning by then is proving difficult. We have been offshore more than 5 years. I have a job offer that I've accepted and paper work is going through.

Boss will hold job for 6 months if I need.

If I apply for a new RRV now, will that application cancel my current RRV? If I apply for new RRV and it is unsuccessful will I be able to still travel on current RRV before expiry?

I don't think they'd extend an RRV, so I'm really just wondering the likelihood of getting a new one or should I pull out all stops to try travel before October.

If refused then the old one isn't cancelled, its still valid till it expires.

Having a job offer is a strong point in favour of getting a new one granted

2 hours ago, hawkmoon1704 said:

If I apply for a new RRV now, will that application cancel my current RRV?

It will replace it rather than ’cancel’ it. 

If I apply for new RRV and it is unsuccessful will I be able to still travel on current RRV before expiry?

Yes 

It would be a safer strategy. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, hawkmoon1704 said:

Our RRV will run out in October but returning by then is proving difficult. We have been offshore more than 5 years.

If you don't meet the residential requirements for a RRV then you're not entitled to one. You are allowed to apply for a new one, making a case for why you deserve one, but it's entirely at the discretion of the Immigration department whether they'll be generous.  They will look first at how strong your ties are to Australia.  If you can't prove strong ties, it won't matter how compelling your reasons for absence are, you're likely to be refused.  

So yes, it would be much safer to pull out the stops and get here before it expires.

Edited by Marisawright

Based on the risk reward trade-off, you would be well advised to engage an RMA to obtain a professional opinion, then you will have some certainty and peace of mind moving forward! I agree with Paul, best option would be to get your skates on and come over by October! - After all, its warming up by then and getting into beach weather 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be getting your skates on and getting to Australia before your current one expires.  It doesn't look good that you have had no ties to Australia for more than 5 years.  When I applied for mine recently, I know there was a question about residency requirements in the last so many years.

• Like 1