Chances of a sponsorship for qualified electrician with 18 years experience

What are the chances of getting a company to sponsor my husband who has 20 years worth of experience as an Electrician? 10 of those years running his own company. Would anybody know of any companies willing to?

4 hours ago, DDB06 said:

What are the chances of getting a company to sponsor my husband who has 20 years worth of experience as an Electrician? 10 of those years running his own company. 

It's not easy to find companies willing to sponsor from overseas. All I can suggest is to look on Seek.com.au and apply for suitable jobs that come up.  

The bigger question is whether it's wise to come to Australia on a sponsorship, rather than on a skilled visa in your own right. 

The idea of getting a company to sponsor, so your husband will have a job from day 1, and you'll get some help with relocation costs -- but there are big snags. For one thing, most companies will want to sponsor for a 482 (temporary) visa, not a permanent one, because they're usually in a hurry.   That means all you get is a 2 to 4 year stay in Australia, and your husband will be stuck with that employer even if he's got the boss from hell.  Worse, if the company goes bust, so does your visa. Several times, we've seen situations where a family has come to Australia on a 482, then a few months later the company had difficulties and had to make workers redundant -- and you guessed it, the husband was one of them. There was a grace period for him to try to find another sponsor, but it's short and the family had to go home. 

Don't get me wrong -- for a single guy or a couple without kids, I think it's a risk that's absolutelyy worth taking.  If nothing else, you get an adventure.  But if you're going to uproot a family of 4, the move is far more expensive, you're disrupting your kids' education, and the employer is not going to cover your relocation costs 100% both ways. So you're risking a lot of stress, and you could end up back in the UK, having spent thirty grand with nothing to show for it. 

7 hours ago, Rallyman said:

You would also need to get qualifications recognised , there are a few threads on this 

Australia likes its red tape 

There are a lot of regulations, agreed.  Some see red tape, others see standards to protect workers and consumers.  Truth is probably somewhere in the middle 🙂

This is a good point though - as both you and Marissa say migrating is about more than "find an employer and move".  Satisfying the work requirements over here and meeting the various visa eligibility requirements are not at all simple.  The other factor is time - 20 years experience implies a primary applicant at or close to his 40s which might limit future options.  Finding a job is an early step but not the first.

I would recommend looking into the trades registration and qualification requirements, make sure your husband meets or exceeds them.  Then verify the probable visa requirements (age, skills, health, etc) to make sure there aren't any blocks.  If you're good with those then a job hunt can start.  Good news is that trades are in demand but it can be a long road.  The usual advice of a chat with a Registered Migration Agent (there are several who post here) to verify eligibility is a wise investment applies.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...