SCHOOL FEES 491 VISA HELP PLEASE

Hi all

I'm looking to move over on a 491 visa but have 2 school age children.... information appears to be unclear if 491 visa holders need to pay school fees and if so for what states.

Can anyone on this visa or anyone who is sure provide guidance particularly for Queensland?

Thank you all in advance 🙂 

It’s a temporary but provisional visa so doesn’t attract tuition fees - NSW which is one of the most draconian states says that there are restrictions on 491 holders such as needing to apply for enrolment and pay a fee to enrol but no tuition fees, but kids are not eligible for selective high schools https://www.deinternational.nsw.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/16410/Visa-Subclasses-and-Enrolment-Conditions.pdf .  Other states will be similar. You will have to provide evidence to the school of your visa, employment, etc  Queensland don’t charge temporary residents at all - not at the moment anyway. https://ppr.qed.qld.gov.au/attachment/de-international-schedule-of-visa-subclasses-and-enrolment-conditions.pdf

However, all kids are expected to pay something towards their education via “voluntary contributions “ which aren’t quite as voluntary as they’d like you to believe. Rates vary depending on school/state.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Quoll said:

It’s a temporary but provisional visa so doesn’t attract tuition fees - NSW which is one of the most draconian states says that there are restrictions on 491 holders such as needing to apply for enrolment and pay a fee to enrol but no tuition fees, but kids are not eligible for selective high schools https://www.deinternational.nsw.edu.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/16410/Visa-Subclasses-and-Enrolment-Conditions.pdf .  Other states will be similar. You will have to provide evidence to the school of your visa, employment, etc  Queensland don’t charge temporary residents at all - not at the moment anyway. https://ppr.qed.qld.gov.au/attachment/de-international-schedule-of-visa-subclasses-and-enrolment-conditions.pdf

However, all kids are expected to pay something towards their education via “voluntary contributions “ which aren’t quite as voluntary as they’d like you to believe. Rates vary depending on school/state.

Thank you very much for this help! This has made a great difference to my decision. I just need to look into healthcare now and what the deal is there with the 491 in Queensland 

9 hours ago, Aimee A said:

Thank you very much for this help! This has made a great difference to my decision. I just need to look into healthcare now and what the deal is there with the 491 in Queensland 

Healthcare is a national thing so it's the same all over the country.   Assuming you are currently resident in the UK, you will be covered by the reciprocal agreement between the UK and Australia, regardless of what the conditions of the visa say.     Strictly speaking, the reciprocal agreement covers only essential care, but in practice you'll have the same cover as any permanent visa holder or citizen.  

Be aware, though, that Medicare isn't like the NHS.  Visits to your GP are only subsidised, not free.  Unfortunately, private health insurance covers medical treatment in a hospital setting, and nothing else -- so it won't help with things like GP visits.  Whether health insurance ('hospital cover') is worth paying for is a matter of debate, and increasingly Australians are feeling that it's not worth it -- but it's a complex issue, so unless the visa requires it, I'd recommend you delay taking out hospital cover health insurance until you're here and have a chance to talk it over with colleagues and friends, so you get a wider picture. 

Private health insurers also offer a thing called "Extras" cover, and you can take Extras cover without the main policy.  I'd recommend it, because dental treatment and spectacles are not covered by Medicare at all.   You have to go private and they are expensive.   Some Extras cover will also cover you for therapies not covered by Medicare, like physiotherapy, speech therapy, occupational therapy.