309/100 partner visa

SteveT

Hi everyone.

I have had a request to get an Australian Federal Police National Police Certificate. I have only visited Australia for a few weeks this year and supplied my British equivalent Police Report in my application has anyone any advice or experience with this please.

It’s a very easy process. You complete the forms online, make your payment online and then you receive a PDF of your report and you upload it to your immi portal. 

Will take you less than one hour to submit. When I did mine last year it cost circa £24 U.K. equivalent. 

I don’t recall how long the wait was from application to response- but if memory serves it was days, not months.  

4 hours ago, SteveT said:

Hi everyone.

I have had a request to get an Australian Federal Police National Police Certificate. I have only visited Australia for a few weeks this year and supplied my British equivalent Police Report in my application has anyone any advice or experience with this please.

Just get one, as suggested above. It’s easy, quick and cheap. They seem to be asking for this whenever they are considering the grant of a permanent visa, whatever the amount of time spent in Australia. 

14 hours ago, wrussell said:

Make sure you apply via the AFP website, not some intermediary, and cite reason 33.

Remember to select reason 33 from drop the down option. Usually police clearance comes back within 48-72 hours from experience. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I have completed my medical exam which was ok and submitted my AFP about four weeks ago. Does anyone know how long it's taking to grant visa's at the moment?

• 3 weeks later...
On 24/07/2024 at 18:36, FirstWorldProblems said:

It’s a very easy process. You complete the forms online, make your payment online and then you receive a PDF of your report and you upload it to your immi portal. 

Will take you less than one hour to submit. When I did mine last year it cost circa £24 U.K. equivalent. 

I don’t recall how long the wait was from application to response- but if memory serves it was days, not months.  

Hi

I read above that you got your AFP last year… may I ask if you’ve heard anything yet about your visa status since?

My husband has recently done his, and we wondered how long the whole process usually takes.

We have read up to

2 years, however we wonder if anyone has had theirs sooner!?

so difficult to make plans if one has no idea of the length of time the whole process takes!

15 minutes ago, Mav said:

Hi

I read above that you got your AFP last year… may I ask if you’ve heard anything yet about your visa status since?

My husband has recently done his, and we wondered how long the whole process usually takes.

We have read up to

so difficult to make plans if one has no idea of the length of time the whole process takes!

Mine took about 3 weeks to get approved. 

Thank you for your reply.

How long did it take from application to being granted the 309 visa?

we are trying to get an idea of how long the process generally takes.

15 minutes ago, Mav said:

Thank you for your reply.

How long did it take from application to being granted the 309 visa?

we are trying to get an idea of how long the process generally takes.

From submitting the application to receiving the 309 and 100 grant took about five weeks, but could have been a few weeks quicker had I acted quicker booking the medical.

4 Feb - submitted application

18 Feb - sponsor submitted application

24 Feb - upload sponsor police checks

8 mar - health appointment 

14 March both visas granted 

• Congratulations 1

Hi there!

If you've been asked for an Australian Federal Police (AFP) National Police Certificate, it's typically required for certain visa applications, even if you've only visited Australia briefly. While your British police report is useful, the AFP certificate is specific to any time spent in Australia. You can apply for it online through the AFP website. It’s a straightforward process, but ensure you select the correct purpose for your request, often related to immigration. Processing times can vary, so applying sooner is better.

On 29/08/2024 at 08:30, FirstWorldProblems said:

From submitting the application to receiving the 309 and 100 grant took about five weeks, but could have been a few weeks quicker had I acted quicker booking the medical.

4 Feb - submitted application

18 Feb - sponsor submitted application

24 Feb - upload sponsor police checks

8 mar - health appointment 

14 March both visas granted 

Wow that is fast! Did you apply from outside Australia? 

On 27/08/2024 at 19:58, Mav said:

Hi

We have read up to

My husband applied 28 Feb from outside Australia, and we’re still waiting. It’s only on initial processing, so they’ve looked at it and asked for AFP check and one more piece of evidence, which we’ve now submitted. We’ve been married 10 years and have 3 Aussie children so I wouldn’t think it’s a particularly difficult decision…

48 minutes ago, MsMorts said:

It may have changed, but for many years, visas applied for from outside Australia were faster than visas applied for inside Australia.   I think the idea is that when you're applying from inside Australia, you get a bridging visa that allows you to stay in the country, so their case is less urgent. 

The snag for all applications is that if you have even one little unanswered question, they'll put your application aside and get on with other applications while they're waiting for you to reply -- and they're not going to drop everything and pick up your application again when you provide the info they're waiting for.  So your one missing piece of evidence has probably set you back a few months.

7 hours ago, MsMorts said:

Yes. 309/100 so outside Australia. It was a fully loaded application, 20 years married, kids, shared finances etc so an easy case.  I didn’t get asked for anything other than the automated notification to do the medical.  

Edited by FirstWorldProblems