New Skills in Demand Visa

Hi Everyone,

I am currently on a 482 Visa on the short term stream so my visa is currently 2 years long. The current stipulations mean that I must work for the same employer for a minimum of 2 years before I am eligible to apply for PR via the employer sponsored 186 TRT stream. Having read the new benefits of the Skills in Demand visa that is coming in at the end of this year, does anyone know if the current people on 482 visas will have the opportunity to transfer over to this visa as of course one of the main benefits is that we don't have to rely on employer sponsorship to get a 186 PR visa amongst many other benefits this vias has over my current one.

or perhaps would the current 482 visa holders automatically get to benefit from the new skills in demand visa changes when it is introduced later this year?

Edited by birdy990

"With its streamlined application process and diverse eligibility criteria, (the visa) offers opportunities for both employers seeking to fill skill shortages and individuals eager to pursue work opportunities Down Under" link

Sounds great! 

Except that's talking about the (then brand new) 482 TSS visa...  As usual when there are changes being suggested there is a bit of noise and conversation about what it will do, how it will work and what are the pros and cons.  Sticking to official info there is the Draft CSOL which has the occupations proposed for inclusion.  And of course the Migration Strategy itself (P46 onwards for the Skills in Demand visa.  Anything not from one of those documents (or another Government source) is probably a bit speculative and maybe not to be relied on.

Being cynical the strategy is long on glossy promises that will be really impactful if they are realised.  We have heard about "streamlined application processes" before but allowing greater job mobility and for employers to spread the cost of employer fees will be good initiatives.

Typically I wouldn't expect current 482 visa holders conditions to change to the new standards.  I'd expect you to on the visa you are on and need to apply for the new visa to access it's benefits.  Overall I'd say wait and see what the actual details are when it gets released. 

• Like 1