Visa/job in Australia

LukeGw8921

Hey all,

my question if anybody can help is how can I work in Aus on what would be a tourist visa whilst il apply for a partnership visa? As I understand it I would go on a tourist visa and then apply for the visa. my partner (Aussie) myself British are moving to Aus in Dec/Jan and will be getting married in October so planning to obtain a partner visa. But Ofc you cannot work on a tourist visa. And I may have a potential job lined up for Dec/Jan when we arrive. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.  Thnx

5 minutes ago, LukeGw8921 said:

how can I work in Aus on what would be a tourist visa whilst il apply for a partnership visa?

You can't. 

Depending on your age, circumstances and other factors you might qualify for a visa with work rights but you cannot work on a Tourist visa.  Have a chat with one of teh Registered Migration Agents who post on here to see what your (lawful) options might be, is my advice

8 hours ago, LukeGw8921 said:

Because we are going in a few months, and the process could potentially take much longer but then again it take a couple of months. Just don’t want to take the risk 

Pity you didn't apply back in February.  There may be a way around it, I suggest booking a consult with Andrew (above) as it's not the kind of thing agents will discuss for free.

10 hours ago, LukeGw8921 said:

Because we are going in a few months, and the process could potentially take much longer but then again it take a couple of months. Just don’t want to take the risk 

How old are you - would you be able to travel on a WHV as then you could work?

23 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Is there a reason why you can't apply for a partner visa now, and get it before you travel, so you won't have to worry about it?

I believe the visa you can apply for is either on shore or off shore. If I apply offshore I wouldn’t be able to work until I get the temporary subclass 309 visa. Also the process takes longer than applying onshore.

1 hour ago, LukeGw8921 said:

Also the process takes longer than applying onshore.

Actually, unless things have changed a lot, it used to be much faster applying from London than applying onshore.  Last year, London applications were only taking 3 months. 

During Covid, they processed the onshore applicants faster because people were stranded.  That's all over now.

I’ve seen a lot of 309/100 visas granted recently which were lodged beginning of 2024, we lodged on the 10th of May and received our RFI last week so just waiting on medical. I would say if you’ve a straight forward case lodge 309/100 offshore and go from there. 

• Like 1