Stephen clayton

Find a MARA registered agent and get advice from them. There are several on here who are very helpful agents and say so in their signature block, Paul Hand and Alan Collet both have offices in U.K. iirc for example. Or there is a list of agents here https://www.mara.gov.au/get-help-visa-subsite/FIles/find-registered-migration-agent.pdf (put United Kingdom in the location search field)

Dont leave it too long, the cut off for age is currently 45.

Edited by Quoll

23 hours ago, Shaggy19821 said:

I am 42 years old and a qualified joiner and am very interested in moving to Australia with my family but don’t know who to trus or where to start

As Quoll says, start by booking a consultation with a good agent.   It will cost money, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of actually making the move, and you can't afford to waste time, because once you reach 45, you won't be able to get a visa.

On 27/07/2024 at 08:41, Shaggy19821 said:

I am 42 years old and a qualified joiner and am very interested in moving to Australia with my family but don’t know who to trus or where to start

Congrats on taking the first step!  Australia is a great place to live.  Unfortunately that does make it a hard place to get into.

The good news is that Joiner is an Occupation that is eligible for a lot of Visas, subject to skills assessment / verification.  The posters above are correct that at 42 you have left it quite late, this has two impacts.  Firstly you do have an reduction in points as you age, if you are going for a points tested visa.  Second is that there are age limits for most Perm visas.  It is quite common for people to come over on a Temp visa and then transition to Perm.  In your case by the time you secure a first visa and do that qualifying time you may be cutting it fine, age wise.  That said there are DAMA options, if you are willing to consider regional Australia, and that lifts the age bar quite a bit.

So lots to think about and I agree that a consult with a Registered Migration Agent is a good first step.  Paul is indeed UK based and has an excellent reputation.  A couple of us on here are Australian based and I personally wouldn't rule an agent based on location.  Consults and meetings are virtual and most things happen slowly in Migration so the locations are not really an issue, typically. 

Good luck with it all!

• Like 3