Prices shown vs reality of buying and renting in sydney

I am looking at prices of 2 bed flats to rent or buy in sydney, Mosman, Manly or Freshwater and I wondered if the advertised price(when there is one) is accurate? So if a house is for sale for say 1.5 million aus dollars but going to Auction, will it likely go for much more or around that? 

Similarly for renting, do they tend to go for advertised price or above? Thinking about moving over from London but hard to tell if we will be better off or not! 

38 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

The last Sydney auction I went to was a 2 bed apartment in marrickville.

Guide price 850k, it sold for 1.45m

That wasn't an anomaly, Sydney guide prices are about 500k out from reality 

Yes and going by your experience in Marrickville I dare say Manly and Mosman would be even more expensive.  Freshwater possibly too. 

14 hours ago, Milosyd said:

I am looking at prices of 2 bed flats to rent or buy in sydney, Mosman, Manly or Freshwater and I wondered if the advertised price(when there is one) is accurate?

There are a couple of websites which show the actual sold price - if the real estate agent publishes it.  One of these is 

Onthehouse.com.au: Your Home for Property Research

You can search for "Sold" in the suburbs in which you are interested and hope there are enough disclosed sale prices to be informative.

I'm not sure what the legal situation is re rentals in NSW.  In some states I believe it is illegal to offer or accept rent above the advertised price but I don't know whether this applies - or is observed - in New South Wales.

Auction guide prices are usually way below the seller's reserve. Agents do this to get as many prospective buyers to attend.

Private treaty sales sometimes have an advertised price, or you can contact the agent to as them.

Rentals go for the advertised price - there is no bidding. However, there is a shortage of good rental properties, so expect to be competing with several other appicants.

20 hours ago, Milosyd said:

Similarly for renting, do they tend to go for advertised price or above? Thinking about moving over from London but hard to tell if we will be better off or not! 

Others have answered the buying question.   

As for renting -- it's illegal for real estate agents in NSW to "solicit a higher price from potential tenants".  However, it's not illegal for you voluntarily offer a higher price, and that does happen.  

The most important thing to be aware of, is that the property may look nothing like the photos.  Agents shamelessly photoshop the images they put on the real estate sites. They use fisheye lenses so the rooms look bigger, they change the lighting, they paint out flaws.  Never ever offer to rent a place sight unseen.  Always check the floorplan rather than judge the size of the flat by the photos. Check that all the rooms have windows (they're not above calling a cupboard a bedroom).  

Researching sold prices of identical properties within the past 3 months should give you a rough idea of where the sale price will end up.

However, a property is only worth how much one is willing to pay for it.

A good property will almost always attract a higher price, especially if it's a multi-offer situation. 

I would not consider the guide price as anything but opium to attract more interest.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 29/07/2024 at 11:03, DukeNinja said:

Researching sold prices of identical properties within the past 3 months should give you a rough idea of where the sale price will end up.

However, a property is only worth how much one is willing to pay for it.

A good property will almost always attract a higher price, especially if it's a multi-offer situation. 

I would not consider the guide price as anything but opium to attract more interest.

Hi mate
can you make me a favor on how to write my CPD for ASMIRT assessment?
where can i find a template?
many thanks in advance?

7 hours ago, DukeNinja said:

appreciate your attention
the page shows me an error that the file is not found any more, here is the message content:

Server error 404: Content not found

Unfortunately the web page or document that you were trying to access could not be found.

The item may have been moved, renamed or unpublished.

Use your browser back arrow to return to the previous page.