Living long term on holiday visa

tawhilltiger

40 minutes ago, tawhilltiger said:

Hello I’m thinking of relocating to Australia for a couple of years for an extended period of a couple of years to write a book, what is the best visa for this? A twelve month holiday visa that renews or?

A holiday visa is your only choice as far as I know, but whether you'd be able to renew it is another question.

On 02/09/2024 at 12:04, tawhilltiger said:

Hello I’m thinking of relocating to Australia for a couple of years for an extended period of a couple of years to write a book, what is the best visa for this? A twelve month holiday visa that renews or?

thanks

I think a 3 month tourist visa is the only one. 

On 02/09/2024 at 21:04, tawhilltiger said:

thanks

Hi,

As a general rule the authorities want you to use the visas for the designed and intended purpose.  So living in Australia for a year on a Tourist visa is theoretically possible, using a SC601.  Going for multiple years will need minimum times out of the country (typical 6 months in every 18) and you would probably face a bit of scrutiny since one of the criteria is to be a "Genuine Temporary Entrant", which they may argue you aren't.  That said many things are possible so that's probably the path I would explore.  Good luck! 

• Like 1

The bigger issue will be were you live. Formal rental (estate agent etc) will want to check residency status so you will be limited to Airbnb, hotels, room shares and private ad rentals from landlords who don't mind taking a risk on someone on a tourist visa (and at the moment given the dearth of rental properties why would they bother when they can get astronomical rents from residents that are less of risky proposition).

• Like 1