EOI Time Frames At The Moment

Lloyd&Jennie

Hi All,

I know before you all say it... its too long to say hahaha but.... on average, currently, how long are peoples EOI's taking to come back? I understand my points only just scraped through so that can big a big factor in the time taken but I just need something for my own sanity..!!

Best regards all..!!

There is no definitive answer as it depends on many factors. Occupation, points, subclass, etc. 

If you are looking at 190/491, some State programs are not even open. 

If your points are low, the chances decrease, unless in a high demand occupation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

There is no definitive answer as it depends on many factors. Occupation, points, subclass, etc. 

If you are looking at 190/491, some State programs are not even open. 

If your points are low, the chances decrease, unless in a high demand occupation. 

The OP is asking when they're likely to "hear back", which raises the question:   if your EOI is not successful, do they let you know?

Edited by Marisawright

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

The OP is asking when they're likely to "hear back", which raises the question:   if your EOI is not successful, do they let you know?

I thought they just timed out after 12 months or whatever it is. I haven’t heard of anyone being told the eoi is unsuccessful. Interesting question and it would be nice for people to know but I would have thought it would be too much hassle telling everyone who is unsuccessful unless there is an automated notification once the eoi expires. 🤷🏻‍♀️

The eoi lasts for 2 years, I think you get an email from your immiaccount once it expires.

There is an unofficial site called immitracker where people upload their eois and what date they submitted it and with points etc and then what date they were invited.

Between that and keeping track of the invitation rounds and quotas per proffession I was able to pinpoint my invite to the day.

This was for a 189, obviously as mentioned above ones which rely on state sponsorship are different.

• Like 1

Thank you all. A lot of food for thought here.

I should have clarified the visa I'm going for is 190.

We (family in toe) have submitted my EOI to NSW and Victoria through our Visa agent located in Perth as they were the opening the "window" sooner rather then later (NSW this month). I have an Australian Diploma in Project management and was advised to submit through "Program or Project Administrator - ANZSCO Code: 511112" so hopefully this has some sort of influence... I don't know, probably clutching at straws haha 

2 YEARS...!!! wow We are a year into the process already. I was always knew it would take patience and dedication to "prove" you really want it but wow

again, thank you all. Always been a massive help on here.

11 minutes ago, Lloyd&Jennie said:

We (family in toe) have submitted my EOI to NSW and Victoria through our Visa agent located in Perth

When we applied I was unsure whether I wanted NSW or VIC, I was going to apply to both for a 190 (submit EOI).

My agent was pretty steadfast in telling me that was a really bad idea. His reasoning was that the states are lookign to sponsor people who want to live in their location, the application to more than one state immediately tells them that you aren't totally committed to staying once you get sponsored, so they pass over you (unless your career is really in demand).

Maybe a resident migration agent will pop along and comment if this is still the case.

In terms of timing, we submitted EOI for a 190 to NSW on one day and had an invite to apply for sponsorship the next day. So I guess his advice was at least not incorrect 🙂

Should also point out that project management is one of the careers that experiences a really high application rate so the odds are not on your side if you have low points. That said though good luck and hope you get the outcome you want.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Lloyd&Jennie said:

Thank you all. A lot of food for thought here.

We (family in toe) have submitted my EOI to NSW and Victoria through our Visa agent located in Perth as they were the opening the "window" sooner rather then later (NSW this month). I have an Australian Diploma in Project management and was advised to submit through "Program or Project Administrator - ANZSCO Code: 511112" so hopefully this has some sort of influence... I don't know, probably clutching at straws haha 

2 YEARS...!!! wow We are a year into the process already. I was always knew it would take patience and dedication to "prove" you really want it but wow

again, thank you all. Always been a massive help on here.

Have you lodged the ROI for Victoria? 

8 minutes ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I know of several people recently who have submitted EOI for multiple states and been invited so I’d be wary of the ‘only submit to one state’ advice. I myself submitted to SA and NSW for the 190 and also submitted for the 189. 189 invite came first (and quickly). 

So did those other people get invited for the 190 or the 189?   I ask because the 189 is a national visa not a state one, so it's completely unaffected by how many EOI's you submit to the states.

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

I know of several people recently who have submitted EOI for multiple states and been invited so I’d be wary of the ‘only submit to one state’ advice. I myself submitted to SA and NSW for the 190 and also submitted for the 189. 189 invite came first (and quickly). 

Some States will not invite you if you chose multiple States or multiple visa subclasses on the same EOI.

The 189 does not involve the States. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

So did those other people get invited for the 190 or the 189?   I ask because the 189 is a national visa not a state one, so it's completely unaffected by how many EOI's you submit to the states.

Why do people on here assume that I don’t know that a 189 is not state dependent? I just got this visa, I think I know that!! 
The 2 people that I personally know both applied for 190 for multiple states and coincidentally were both invited by SA. My main point is that received wisdom on this forum seems to be to only apply to one state as somehow multiple EOI to more than one state ‘puts off’ states. I’m not convinced that’s true and haven’t seen any concrete evidence to that effect. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raul Senise said:

Some States will not invite you if you chose multiple States or multiple visa subclasses on the same EOI.

The 189 does not involve the States. 

Which states? Can you provide evidence of this assertion? 

Yes, thank you, I know the 189 does not involve the states. Having just gone through the rigorous process to get this visa, I’m aware of what kind of visa I have.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Why do people on here assume that I don’t know that a 189 is not state dependent? 

If you knew your experience was completely irrelevant to the OP, why did you mention it then?  

Both Raul and I replied for the sake of other people reading this, because your post could be read as saying, "I applied for multiple states but I still got a visa".   And that would be misleading because the two things are not linked.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Cheery Thistle said:

Why do people on here assume that I don’t know that a 189 is not state dependent? I just got this visa, I think I know that!! 
The 2 people that I personally know both applied for 190 for multiple states and coincidentally were both invited by SA. My main point is that received wisdom on this forum seems to be to only apply to one state as somehow multiple EOI to more than one state ‘puts off’ states. I’m not convinced that’s true and haven’t seen any concrete evidence to that effect. 

Hope you are well, and the plan for the move is going swimmingly - it can't be long now...

I share some of your "perceived wisdom" concerns, often there is a bit of a "pile on" sentiment on this forum - but it's only done from a position of trying to help.

In my case the "don't submit a 190 for more than one state" advice didn't come from here, I got that direct from my migration agent long before I found this forum, given I paid him the best part of £2,500 for help and advice (which in my mind was cash well spent - but I'm a consultant and so am naturally predisposed to paying people for expert help - otherwise I'd starve 🙂 ) I felt that it was probably true - or at least was true at the point it was relevant for my application.

You are correct I've no cast iron evidence that applying to more than one state results in non-selection, but I do have evidence that applying to just one can result in an invitation (as that is what I did); but that is just my experience.

The thing about this forum is that it's a bit of a have and have-not set of communities - a large number have already got their visa (and maybe even citizenship) and whilst they are keen to help the emotion of being in that "queue" is no longer current (or maybe even rememorable) and then we have the other community the have-not got a visa yet people - these are looking for advice, reassurance and generally just a warm fuzzy that hopefully the dream will come true for them too. I am guilty often of not thinking how a quickly sent reply (however well intentioned) may affect someone to whom that answer has a pretty significant on their mood - given that moving to AUS is a pretty big life decision.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Marisawright said:

If you knew your experience was completely irrelevant to the OP, why did you mention it then?  

Both Raul and I replied for the sake of other people reading this, because your post could be read as saying, "I applied for multiple states but I still got a visa".   And that would be misleading because the two things are not linked.

I’ve just re-read my post and unless you’re illiterate I’m not sure how you can read it as you are describing. I suspect there may be some selective reading and filtering going on. 
Since I’ve recently gone through the process and I’m in regular contact with a wide network of people currently going through it, I thought sharing that experience might be helpful. Pardon me once again. I’m sure people who got partner visas decades ago are far more clued up. 
@Ausvisitor yes I also paid an agent and their advice to me was 189 (no state affiliation, for avoidance of doubt!!!) and 190 for SA and NSW, which is how we proceeded, just the 189 invite came first within a few days. 

Edited by Cheery Thistle
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, paulhand said:

Raul has been doing this professionally for the best part of 20 years, so I would go with his very broad experience of how the process works. 

That’s all well and good but I’m dubious of this advice since I know people who have done the opposite (recently) and been successful. Had they only applied to one state these people may well be sitting with no visa right now so to me that’s quite a big deal? 
Yes, I trust experts and professionals, but only when they can actually back up their assertions with credible evidence. 
Clearly, different agents are advising different things, since I was advised to apply to multiple states for the 190 many others have been advised the same. Whereas yourself and Raul advise against this. Is there any actual evidence to support not submitting to multiple states? Could you say, for example, X amount applied to multiple states and had Y success rate, whereas A applied to only one state and had B success rate? 
This would add credibility (and shut me up), whereas just repeating the same thing likely won’t (sorry!). 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Ausvisitor said:

I think it might be time you changed your name, Cheery you ain't

Could be that packing up and selling my life in the past 6 weeks combined with seeing everyone I’ve ever met (lols) to say cheerio in addition to a rather poorly timed foot injury (do not ask) is making me a tad grumpier than usual. 
Still, nobody has actually been able to provide any evidence (yet) or to say which states will penalise for multiple 190 EOIs. I just find it strange that different agents have complete polar opposite views on this. 
Crabbit thistle doesn’t have quite the same ring to it??! 

• Haha 3

A quick AI cut-and-paste job coming up...

Based on the search results, nominating multiple states on a 190 visa application can potentially disadvantage an application in some ways:

1. Some migration agents advise against submitting multiple EOIs (Expressions of Interest) for different states because they believe it will hurt an applicant's chances.
  2. Each state has its own nomination criteria and requirements. By applying to multiple states, you may appear less committed to a particular state, which could reduce your chances of being nominated.
  3. Some states may require you to only nominate them exclusively. Applying to multiple states could violate this requirement for certain states.
  4. The 190 visa involves a moral obligation and commitment to live in the nominated state for 2 years after the visa grant. Applying to multiple states may make you seem less genuine about this commitment.
  5. States assess applications individually based on their own criteria, not just points. Showing strong ties and a commitment to one particular state can improve nomination chances.

However, the results also show some conflicting opinions:

• Some applicants reported success with applying to multiple states.
  • It isn't illegal to make multiple EOIs for different states.
  • Some migration agents recommend applying to at least NSW and Victoria to maximize chances.

The consensus of opinion seems to be that whilst it's possible to apply to multiple states, it may reduce your chances compared with an individual state nomination. Focusing on one state where you have the strongest case and commitment is generally recommended for best results. However, in the case of @Cheery Thistle and a couple of other high school teachers I know who have recently gone through the process, they were invited to apply for a 189 almost straight away. We are like gold dust at the moment because nearly every state is desperate for teachers, so it's a fair assumption that submitting multiple EOIs wouldn't hurt in this case. I'm currently working in Mackay for the Teacher Rapid Response Team and getting some great benefits on top of my salary I couldn't have envisaged a few years ago. Mind you, they need to be given the working conditions!

I don't think you'll find any hard evidence proving that a state would reject a candidate because they submitted multiple EOIs, as that would be tantamount to discrimination. That said, RMAs are dealing with dozens of applications and not just the experience of a few friends, so surely they are better placed to know what makes a successful application and will approach each case on the merits of the applicant.

• Like 2