Moving back to uk

Tiffany141

On 11/10/2024 at 21:24, Tiffany141 said:

Moving back to uk after 20 years in Brisbane. What do I need to do to move back? Any lose ends I need to tie up? Am I legally obliged to tell anyone or do anything t? Thanks 

Notify the Electoral Commission to get your name off the electoral roll, if you're on there.  

Keep your bank account open, because it will take a few weeks to get a British bank account fully functioning (you can open a bank account the day you arrive, but you won't be able to withdraw money until you have proof of a permanent address). 

Remember to notify your superannuation fund once you've got a permanent address in the UK, so they can contact you when you reach retirement age.  Also tell them to cancel all the insurances, as that will save you money and they're probably not valid in the UK anyway.    

Have you arranged your Transfer of Residence (TOR) for possessions being shipped into the UK, so they don’t charge you VAT in the UK? 
Otherwise as others have said, advise the electoral roll, government benefits and banks. 
Only other thing is superannuation, cancel any insurances attached as they aren’t usually valid overseas. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Edit; oops just seen that marisa mentioned super!

Edited by Amber Snowball