Please help if time is running out

MJubby

I missed that your son will be 16 next July - don’t bugger about with his education! If he turns 16 in July 2025 he would need to be in Australia by Jan 2026 to start year 11 so he can complete years 11&12 which are the most important years. If he wants to go to Uni he will need them. Remember it’s a foreign system with different academic year times (GCSEs are essentially irrelevant and the school year starts in January).  If he chooses to leave school and start work then he would no longer be a dependent on your visa. If you do get a visa including him, you might do him more favours by getting him to validate his visa then stay in UK (board with someone) until he’s finished A levels if your time frame doesn’t quite work out for him to do yrs 11 & 12 from the beginning.  Remember, too, that if you decide to return and if he is inclined to do Uni he would be classed as an international student and pay eye watering fees for Uni even if he is a UK citizen because you have to be resident for 3 years immediately before starting Uni to get local fees. A levels do travel well to Aus and he would have 5 years from visa grant to make the move and could consider Aus Unis at that point. 

Some very good advice here, and I add to it by suggesting that you consult Paul Hand and discuss your options and what will be your best visa etc.   Paul is a very highly respected MARA registered Agent and he will be honest and up front with his advice.

As far as the English test is concerned, even though you are a native English speaker, never underestimate how hard that test is.  You will need to do a lot of homework before sitting it, and I suggest you look at online tutorials and test papers so you have prepared yourself the best you possibly can.  

As far as property and where you want to live is concerned, I would suggest that instead of wasting time talking to possible employers at this early stage, that you devote that time to driving around Perth and the surrounding suburbs, to familarise yourself with what is on offer and where you might want to live.  If you find an area that you like, park the car and have a walk around the streets, visit the local shopping centres, investigate the public transport in the area.  You can do a lot online, but really there is nothing like real live research in a car or on foot.  I have lived in Perth for 33 years after emigrating from Sussex, and it has certainly changed hugely in that time.   The suburbs around Perh have spread far and wide since we bought our home in 1991.   Recently property prices have gone through the roof and there are  not as many properties on the market as there used to be, so consequently properties are sold within days of coming on the market in popular areas, and anyone with cash or a pre-approved mortgage, is at the front of the queue.   Rentals are in short supply too at the moment too.   

I am not meaning to put a dampener on your hopes and dreams, but just trying to tell it as it is.   Being a migrant is never easy, but to be a successful migrant, you need to have as much informaton at your fingertips as possible.   This forum is full of wonderful people who will tell you how it truly is, and help you along your journey, so please fire away with questions, but equally take on board the advice you will receive.  Whether that advice suits your particular situation of course, is subective, but we aim to help as much as we can.   Wishing you and your family good luck whatever you decide to do moving forward.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Rossmoyne said:

Some very good advice here, and I add to it by suggesting that you consult Paul Hand and discuss your options and what will be your best visa etc.   Paul is a very highly respected MARA registered Agent and he will be honest and up front with his advice.

As far as the English test is concerned, even though you are a native English speaker, never underestimate how hard that test is.  You will need to do a lot of homework before sitting it, and I suggest you look at online tutorials and test papers so you have prepared yourself the best you possibly can.  

As far as property and where you want to live is concerned, I would suggest that instead of wasting time talking to possible employers at this early stage, that you devote that time to driving around Perth and the surrounding suburbs, to familarise yourself with what is on offer and where you might want to live.  If you find an area that you like, park the car and have a walk around the streets, visit the local shopping centres, investigate the public transport in the area.  You can do a lot online, but really there is nothing like real live research in a car or on foot.  I have lived in Perth for 33 years after emigrating from Sussex, and it has certainly changed hugely in that time.   The suburbs around Perh have spread far and wide since we bought our home in 1991.   Recently property prices have gone through the roof and there are  not as many properties on the market as there used to be, so consequently properties are sold within days of coming on the market in popular areas, and anyone with cash or a pre-approved mortgage, is at the front of the queue.   Rentals are in short supply too at the moment too.   

I am not meaning to put a dampener on your hopes and dreams, but just trying to tell it as it is.   Being a migrant is never easy, but to be a successful migrant, you need to have as much informaton at your fingertips as possible.   This forum is full of wonderful people who will tell you how it truly is, and help you along your journey, so please fire away with questions, but equally take on board the advice you will receive.  Whether that advice suits your particular situation of course, is subective, but we aim to help as much as we can.   Wishing you and your family good luck whatever you decide to do moving forward.

My favoured tactics when scouting out an area is to go and walk around the local supermarket and see who/what is in there and then I go to a local cafe and sit and people watch. Usually tells me what I need to know. That and the state of the front gardens! 🤣

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Amber Snowball said:

My favoured tactics when scouting out an area is to go and walk around the local supermarket and see who/what is in there and then I go to a local cafe and sit and people watch. Usually tells me what I need to know. That and the state of the front gardens! 🤣

Also once you find a place you like go walk round it at about 11pm and also 5am.

Dogs seem to start incessant barking at about 11pm but remain silent during the day and in many city locations the waste collection is about 5am which can wake you up (and it's often every day not once a fortnight)

• Like 1