Double tax agreement

talktosi

Australian resident who receives UK income on rental property. I have done UK tax return and about to submit Australian tax return - but it seems that I will be liable for a big chunk of extra tax due to uk foreign income - despite paying Uk tax. It seems that I can only claim a foreign income tax offset for a maximum of the UK tax I have paid - which is far less than the extra tax the Australian tax office will ask me to pay. The “ not being taxed in 2 countries “ thing is far from the truth. Any advice very welcome

42 minutes ago, talktosi said:

Australian resident who receives UK income on rental property. I have done UK tax return and about to submit Australian tax return - but it seems that I will be liable for a big chunk of extra tax due to uk foreign income - despite paying Uk tax. It seems that I can only claim a foreign income tax offset for a maximum of the UK tax I have paid - which is far less than the extra tax the Australian tax office will ask me to pay. The “ not being taxed in 2 countries “ thing is far from the truth. Any advice very welcome

It's never been true that you won't be "taxed in two countries".    You're liable to pay tax in the country where you are resident, at whatever rate that is.   If the rate is higher in your country of residence (Australia) than it is in the foreign country (UK), then of course you have to pay the difference.

Having said that, are you sure you're claiming everything you're entitled to claim?  

10 hours ago, Marisawright said:

It's never been true that you won't be "taxed in two countries".    You're liable to pay tax in the country where you are resident, at whatever rate that is.   If the rate is higher in your country of residence (Australia) than it is in the foreign country (UK), then of course you have to pay the difference.

Having said that, are you sure you're claiming everything you're entitled to claim?  

It’s makes a mockery of the so called Double Tax Agreement between Australia ( and many other countries) It seems I can only offset the amount of UK tax I paid against total income ( which is much less significant than subtracting it from my Australian tax liability. I am effectively paying tax twice.

You should be taxed in Australia for the overseas rentals. There is a form to complete for this. You should seek advice from an accountant who understands this. A basic tax agent may not. They can also ensure you are claiming everything back. Likely they will pay for themselves going forward…….

23 hours ago, talktosi said:

It seems I can only offset the amount of UK tax I paid against total income ( which is much less significant than subtracting it from my Australian tax liability.

That sounds odd.  Is this where you're putting it in the tax return?

https://www.ato.gov.au/individuals-and-families/your-tax-return/instructions-to-complete-your-tax-return/mytax-instructions/2024/tax-offsets/foreign-income-tax-offset