Back in the UK

Jacqui_b

My daughter and i recently returned to the UK after many decades over there, after my husband passed we wanted to live closer to family; whilst now settling back in i am having trouble getting my full pension paid and would appreciate any assistance pointing me who i need to speak to?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer me. 

1 hour ago, Jacqui_b said:

My daughter and i recently returned to the UK after many decades over there, after my husband passed we wanted to live closer to family; whilst now settling back in i am having trouble getting my full pension paid and would appreciate any assistance pointing me who i need to speak to?

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer me. 

If you’re talking about the UK state pension contact DWP (department of work and pensions) if you lived in Australia for decades it’s likely you’re not entitled to the full pension.  DWP helpline will help you sort it out.  

5 hours ago, Jacqui_b said:

Which pension are you referring to?  

Australian pension

While you were living in Australia, you needed only 10 years' residency to get the full pension.   If you move overseas, then you need 35 years' residency. So your pension gets recalculated and if you haven't got the full 35 years residency, it will be reduced.  For instance, if you lived in Australia for 30 years, you'll get 30/35ths of the full amount.  That's just the way it works, you can't do anything to change it. 

British pension

Your British pension is based on how many years of NI contributions you made.  If you lived in the UK and worked or were a stay-at-home mum, you have made contributinos and may be entitled to claim it.  You can also make extra contributions to 'top up' missing years, which will increase the pension (and is usually worth doing).  As Tulip1 says, contact the Pension Centre and they will help you sort it out. 

14 hours ago, Jacqui_b said:

Referring to my Australian one, i lived out there for almost 50 years i would not get a UK one because i was not living in the UK

Were you receiving the Age Pension when you left Australia and did you advise Centrelink you would be moving overseas to live?