What have people said to try and put you off?

Que Sera Sera

On another thread it appears that there is a lot of jeolousy out there, so what is the funniest or most annoying thing that someone has said to you when you have told them of your plans for OZ?

My son: Oh but there are spiders, snakes and sharks!

My friend: But have you checked the crime rate, unemployment?Australia is nearly a third world country and you will be the immigrants that everyone will hate for stealing their jobs!

My sister in law: But it will cost a lot of money and what if you don't like it? Your stuck!

Lets have the good and the bad, the funnier the better!:yes:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Angie*mark

My neice who's 17 is just refusing to talk to me until i forget the idea of moving to OZ.

My mum said i better not go as it's a long way to come back for one of her roast dinners.

My brother in law will not stop going on and on and on about the spiders there (i hate spiders)

My sister says we will never see each other, we wont be able to keep in touch as when I would be awake she'll be in bed so all contact will be lost and we'll soon forget them.

My list could go on and on, unfortunatly no funny ones just annoying.

FRIEND: HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A BETTER LIFE YOUVE NEVER BEEN.

FRIEND: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT IF YOU THINK ITS S**T HERE HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WILL BE THE SAME OVER THERE.

THE GREEN EYED MONSTER APPEARS IN EVERYONE THAT WOULD LOVE TO COME BUT CANT.

:biglaugh:

A friend who knew i had a fear of crawlies said to us ,why the hell do you want to live somewere where you cant get to the bottom of the garden without avoiding deadly snakes or bitten by a deadly spider ?

Glad we didnt listen to him ,life is great ,spiders ,snakes or sharks ,bring em on !!( she says hiding behind the door with a large can of mortein!)

Cal x

Guest Angie*mark
FRIEND: HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WILL BE A BETTER LIFE YOUVE NEVER BEEN.

FRIEND: LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT IF YOU THINK ITS S**T HERE HOW DO YOU KNOW IT WILL BE THE SAME OVER THERE.

THE GREEN EYED MONSTER APPEARS IN EVERYONE THAT WOULD LOVE TO COME BUT CANT.

:biglaugh:

I've been told that one plenty too, does it annoy you as much as it does me????????

I was told that i mustn't think of Oz to be a soloution to my problems, life is **** and going to Oz doesnt make all the crap dissapear as soon as you sit on the plane.

How annoying is that.

Guest Karen K

No one wants us to leave.............ahh bless. Friends have told the inland rev that we do not intend to pay our tax bill so we should be put into prison straight away !!

PrisonTowers.jpgXX

Friend: When we told her we hoping to get to Perth she said - "But you do realise that it gets really cold over there in the winter and dark really early"

errr... hello, but we're hardly having a heatwave over here and this is supposed to be our summer....... and I never said we were only going because of the weather :nah:.

Denise x

Guest sean,marie & gang

When we got married 2 yrs ago so that we could put our visa in together as a family, my family ( mum dad brother and sisters ) have stopped talking to me.At first I fount it hard but now I feel like Im in a better position because I have no one to feel gulity about! Did try and speak to my mum about 2 months ago when we put the house up for sale. Just to tell her it was going up, so she didnt see or hear it from any one else. She told me I was being very selfish and jealous of my siblings life style!!! Family who needs them. My father in law told my husband that he wont be visiting! Who said he was invited!!!

Guest Jaynie

I've forgotten most of what was said to me being over here that long, so just come on over and enjoy your life and forget what anyone else says to you, some comments are very hurtful, but if you know in your heart you are doing the right thing just let their comments wash right over your head...don't even give them a comeback, just say "Whatever":wubclub:

My mum doesnt say much just every so often bursts into tears about how she will miss the kids not me the kids......

Am hoping the fact we have just got her a pc so she will be able to "see" us will help! find out when we go see her on tuesday.

Guest roma 1

hi,

nobody has tried to put us off going and have been really supportive so perhaps will be glad to see the back of us LOL,

gail

ps either that or they all want a free holiday in oz!!!!:v_SPIN:

Guest Col-and-Sara

I've been fortunate that my family have been really supportive of our move.

Our funniest moment happened about a week ago. My 9 year old cousin has a big crush on my OH. He asked me when we're going to Australia. He then said that we shouldn't go because he saw this programme on TV about Australia were the family came home and found a crocodile in the back garden.

:cute:

Colin

Guest JoanneHattersley
Would a TRUE friend not support you????

Geoffrey

Well said Geoff! Never a truer word mate! I always said that emigrating lets you see your "true" friends! My Nanna was great when we left. She stood in her lounge trying so hard not to cry and said..........

"write properly to me, none of those shortened email text thingys! Good Luck and enjoy it"

Best advice ever!

As for things that annoy, my favourite has to be...........

"You`ll never go you know!"

Guest Pinhead

'But Australia has no culture or history', from someone who never goes to anything cultural or historical in the UK!

My step-mother (who has convinced my dad that it's too dangerous over here what with the wildlife etc), when I spoke to her on the phone the other day :-

Me - 'I never wear anything on my feet now except thongs - (flip flops to her) anything else now hurts my feet'.

Step-mother - 'But,what about the snakes?':huh:

Me - 'They don't wear them' :swoon: Also pointed out that loads of people go barefoot - that really did throw her LOL

Lyn x

Guest emma cant wait to go!

My little boyLogan who is 5 had an objection initially to us emigrating that he was very worried about father christmas making it on time for xmas morning because its such a long way!!

My 9 year old daughter Chloe is not impressed as it means her birthday in May will be in the Autumn in oz, not that its great weather here usually in May! And it means that Logans birthday (3rd Jan) will be scorching and not raining or snowing!!!:spinny:

Guest Clarinsred
'But Australia has no culture or history', from someone who never goes to anything cultural or historical in the UK!

I've had that so many times off in-laws.

Mother-in-law: Why don't you visit Bristol???????? (How random?)

M-I-L: All the houses have tin roofs and are made of breeze-block.

M-I-L: Bugs, snakes, bugs, snakes.....

M-I-L: You won't be able to drive a nice car there, on their dirt track roads.

(Ignorance must be bliss...They've seen Wolf Creek, and all of Australia must be like that!):arghh:

Sister-in-law: Your making Dad ill!! :no:

Brother-in-law: Will you be able to sponsor me to get out there?

Brother: How many bedrooms will you be having...so you'll have a spare then?

Guest Louisa

I have a... no thought i had a really good friend who i've known for the past 10 years, apart from our 'families', our friend is also completely against our move, since we told her about us emmigrating she has argued with me, shouting down the telephone, has been crying and says her reaction is only bcos she cares :biglaugh:sure thx for that but no thx, and she says, how can she support us when she doesn't want us to go, we fell out about this a few days ago and although she has called and argued with my hubby then made up with him, i cannot bring myself to speak to her, i've got other priorities, my children, yes i've had it all, from everyone!!!

Louisa x

My little boyLogan who is 5 had an objection initially to us emigrating that he was very worried about father christmas making it on time for xmas morning because its such a long way!!

All you need to tell Logan is that Australia is 11 hours in front of England so he gets his gifts half a day earlier!!!!!

Guest earlswood

Perth.. I was told this before I went by an aussie barman working in London.:biglaugh:

1) It’s Boring!!

2) It’s got no character!!!

3) The airport is hopeless!!!

4) Shops close too early!!!

5) Public transport is non-existent.

6) Shopping centres are dull and lifeless.

The list could go on and on and on…….

Basically it’s a cemetery with streetlights

Wht didnt I listen to the guy.:huh:

Friend: When we told her we hoping to get to Perth she said - "But you do realise that it gets really cold over there in the winter and dark really early"

errr... hello, but we're hardly having a heatwave over here and this is supposed to be our summer....... and I never said we were only going because of the weather :nah:.

Denise x

not puttin a neggy downer on it but the big light does go out about 5 in winter and 8.30 in summer ( daylight savin scrapped in WA) still nice tho

Malx

aka Billy 6m

Archived