What have people said to try and put you off?

Que Sera Sera

Sorry Aldo I think your wrong (nothing new there lol):biglaugh:

People need to make there own mistakes what works for one may not work for someone else.

I would hate to see you alianate yourself. Fair point to tell people the bad points of the place but I'm sure they won't listen.

Take care and look after yourself

Geoffrey

what part is wrong ?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Working to fish

I got told it gets cold

No way i said it always looks warm when you see oz on the TV.

eddie:goofy:

Yup had that one too. All Aussies are sexist and racist apparently!

My mates dad is a bit of a ping pong came out to see his mate for a hol last year and tour a bit. Him and OH went in a pub , she had to go in the other side with the women and the indigs. I said did you go in with her he says yes after about an hour :biglaugh:

Malx

aka Billy 6 M

Guest guest12791
A friend who knew i had a fear of crawlies said to us ,why the hell do you want to live somewere where you cant get to the bottom of the garden without avoiding deadly snakes or bitten by a deadly spider ?

Glad we didnt listen to him ,life is great ,spiders ,snakes or sharks ,bring em on !!( she says hiding behind the door with a large can of mortein!)

Cal x

Oh my god the memory of mortein just came fludding back! We were there four months and i used so much of the stuff until our gardener told me, hey didnt you know that spiders can hold their breath and the spray dosent kill em just stuns em! dont pick em up cos they have great lung capacity you know ! well talk about laugh! i cant wait to go back!

My mates think iam crazy cos i hate spiders, snakes and cockraches, also they tell me you cant get walkers crisps you know!

better for the diet then i reply!

annemarie

True friends will only want you to be happy. Both our closest friends don't want us to go but have done nothing but support us. They already live far away 4 and 8 hours so contact will still happen maybe not as much face to face.

Others have asked why - I only spend 12 hours a day away from my children to work through necessity and not through choice as there are no jobs locally even if I took a significant pay cut. Too experienced for the roles locally so won't touch you - surely that is my choice. A fresh start in a country that has a can do attitude and if we don't like it what is the problem - at least we can say we have tried - better than waking up in ten years regretting even trying.

Sometimes I think they are taking as an insult as we are saying their lives aren't good enough which is not the case - we just want to try something different.

We have left it to fate. We went to the country - staying in typical Aussie motels etc rather than tourist hotels and just felt a postiveness about the country.

We have had the spiders etc and will have no family support. Don't have any at the moment. OH has brought up all children and even family babysitting you could count on one hand over the last 6years.

MIL not happy but has been very quiet so far about it to us but will try through the children. Has already put doubts in one of their minds subtly.

FIL lives abroad anyway.

Not told whats left of my family as don't see them anyway and they pay no part in our lives therefore will tell them the day before we fly if I remember. They certainly would have an opinion on it as they had an opinion on where we decided to live in this country.

The funnies was that why are you taking those poor dogs Aussies don't like them. Why don't you rehome them. That to me is unthinkable as would they rehome their children.

I must be lucky because everyone's just been totally made up for me. We'll miss each other obviously but I think people ultimately want what's best for you. The only negativity I've come across is on here unfortunately, so I've had to ration myself on pomsinoz because it's been such a hard descision I need to at least try it out there with a positive attitude or it'll never work.

I still don't understand why this place seems to be half full of people claiming to be "stuck in Australia"... Surely you can just lump a copper, you'll soon find yourself on the next flight home.

Guest Jaynie

Igor it may seem like a lot of people don't like living over here, however there are only a handful, the majority of us like living over here, so don't let the negative posts put you off coming here, I am sure you will love it! I do.........:wubclub:

Guest ddwild

Well apart from the usual spiders, snakes, creppy crawlies, sharks and crocs I have been warned about the blue ringed octopus which kills you in minutes and also that it is sooooooooooooo far away we will never see you (hubby's family).

Still going though and really looking forward to it!

Well apart from the usual spiders, snakes, creppy crawlies, sharks and crocs I have been warned about the blue ringed octopus which kills you in minutes and also that it is sooooooooooooo far away we will never see you (hubby's family).

Still going though and really looking forward to it!

blueringed.jpg

The blue-ringed octopus is a tiny cephalopod that packs a lethal punch. It lives in the Pacific from Japan to Australia, usually between rocks in a tidepool, and can be as small as a quarter up to 6 inches in diameter. It only displays its rings when disturbed. That is also when it bites. The bites are generally painless, characterized by some paleness around the bite and possibly a blood blister. Once the neurotoxins set in, the victim experiences shortness of breath, muscle spasms, and occasionally vomiting. If treatment is not sought fast enough, the victim may eventually die of paralysis.

Guest ddwild
blueringed.jpg

The blue-ringed octopus is a tiny cephalopod that packs a lethal punch. It lives in the Pacific from Japan to Australia, usually between rocks in a tidepool, and can be as small as a quarter up to 6 inches in diameter. It only displays its rings when disturbed. That is also when it bites. The bites are generally painless, characterized by some paleness around the bite and possibly a blood blister. Once the neurotoxins set in, the victim experiences shortness of breath, muscle spasms, and occasionally vomiting. If treatment is not sought fast enough, the victim may eventually die of paralysis.

Thanks for that, I saw a programme about them not long after they mentioned it to me on Sky! Still not put off though!!!! :cute:

blueringed.jpg

Pretty though isnt it?:biglaugh:

Guest Torryquine

Our family was great, but one friend warned of "huge" air conditioning bills and missing the seasons. Scotland only has one season! Well, we moved with our 8 year old and we all love it over in Perth. Best thing we ever did. We are all more relaxed and have a better quality of life. Dont listen to anyone else, you have one life and you must do what you think is best for your family. Good luck!

We've had "It get's much too hot over there - it'll be awful to work in", "what about the spiders and snakes?" and (my favourite - from my mum) "It's not like it is on Neighbours you know"!:biglaugh:

My gran is funny too. She really wants us to go (in a nice way, not a can't wait to see the back of you way), but she keeps asking us whether there are hospitals, whether we need any injections to go there, can we drink the water etc. I think she thinks it is a third world country at the back of beyond. I keep telling her they have cars and electricity and running water and sewers and everything!:biglaugh:

Guest tomandmillie

The negative comments mainly were - it's so far away, we'll never see you again which we took as compliments as we'd be missed (these were from older family members). A lot of people said, you're very brave which we took to mean we were stupid or were actually being brave. Close family and friends were supportive as in, do what makes you happy.

We've had "It get's much too hot over there - it'll be awful to work in", "what about the spiders and snakes?" and (my favourite - from my mum) "It's not like it is on Neighbours you know"!:biglaugh:

My gran is funny too. She really wants us to go (in a nice way, not a can't wait to see the back of you way), but she keeps asking us whether there are hospitals, whether we need any injections to go there, can we drink the water etc. I think she thinks it is a third world country at the back of beyond. I keep telling her they have cars and electricity and running water and sewers and everything!:biglaugh:

I know your laughing right now,but there will come a day that you will cry missing the people you are laughing about right now,

Hope you can forget these people quickly when you get over here or you may be blighted with homesickness and believe me you don't want to end up back in the arms of these loved ones in the wrong circumstances !

Guest guest12791
I know your laughing right now,but there will come a day that you will cry missing the people you are laughing about right now,

Hope you can forget these people quickly when you get over here or you may be blighted with homesickness and believe me you don't want to end up back in the arms of these loved ones in the wrong circumstances !

Hi Barab,

your post was so true, i laughed at all the comments from everyone and then cried when i left because the emptiness wouldnt go away, after four months of the pretending that i was ok i returned to England and heard 'told you so from everyone' Sadly my father died and things were left unsaid between us, guess its the laughs that keep us close. Good luck Barab for the future

Annemarie

Guest turbopaul

Even tho me and my wife are only just planning the application, everyone has been very supportive which is all i can ask for.

however i get people saying what happens if you don't like it and come back you have nothing, as i rent and would give that up.

I say if i don't try now i will never know and would regret it, and that is something i don't want to do.

Guest gothicqueen

Nones really tried to put us off as such, Grahams Aunt who is our sponsor over there told us all the downsides, the heat, the lack of twighlight, crap Tv etc, but most people once they have got over the initial shock have been really supportive.

We have had the normal 'what if you dont like it' stuff, to which we answer 'we can always come back'

My parents were a bit against the idea to start with but none has been negative really!

Hi Barab,

your post was so true, i laughed at all the comments from everyone and then cried when i left because the emptiness wouldnt go away, after four months of the pretending that i was ok i returned to England and heard 'told you so from everyone' Sadly my father died and things were left unsaid between us, guess its the laughs that keep us close. Good luck Barab for the future

Annemarie

Thats a sad situation Annemarie,

Hope you feel better now. That is one of the realities you need to confront when you come over here,it is something that just might happen but no one wants it to be them obviously.

I think that those people who said that to you on your return are very harsh,at least you had the courage to try it,we have all taken a gamble coming over here for some it pays off for others not.

I see you may be coming back to Brissie? If you are then all the best and I hope you enjoy it better this time round,you could pick worse places in the world.

Cheers barab.

Hi Barab,

Annemarie

I honestly beleive it is jeolousy that you had the ba**s to try it and they haven't or do not have the ability to try it lets face it some people don't have the skills etc. As for the ones who say I told you so well are they really friends or aquantancies. So sorry that your father passed away but I am sure he was glad that you were doing what you wanted to do. Take care for the future which ever continent you decide on!:wubclub:

Guest guest12791
Thats a sad situation Annemarie,

Hope you feel better now. That is one of the realities you need to confront when you come over here,it is something that just might happen but no one wants it to be them obviously.

I think that those people who said that to you on your return are very harsh,at least you had the courage to try it,we have all taken a gamble coming over here for some it pays off for others not.

I see you may be coming back to Brissie? If you are then all the best and I hope you enjoy it better this time round,you could pick worse places in the world.

Cheers barab.

:wubclub: Thanks for your post Barab, we are going back to brisbane if we can find work for my other half. We had no luck last time. problem is both my daughters are heading back in a couple of years they loved brisbane, guess i have no one here in England now as both my parents are now dead. Hope to meet you if you are still there next year , Annemarie

Archived