Northern Irish ?

Guest ALVA

Hi There we are immigrating from N.Ireland and would love to hear from anybody else out there who has done it already and could give us advice from a Irish point of view !

Guest heather&mick

Hi Alva

We (couple with two young boys) have recently moved here to Brisbane from Kinawley, Fermanagh. Where are you? Life is good here but we are still in the early stages of settling in - trying to secure jobs, house, schools etc and so sometimes it feels a bit daunting and we can question whether we did the right thing - life in Northern Ireland was good but we always said we would come back to Oz having met here bacpacking years ago. Being near a city we do miss having the space - house and garden wise -that we had back in Fermanagh but I suppose that is to be expected near any city.

Ireland and Australia - both great countries - anything specific you want to know about Oz? It is fantastic to get away from the rain of Fermanagh! Also great boys having opportunity to learn to swim at an early stage.

Good Luck

Heather & Mick

Hi Heather and Mick, We live in Maguiresbridge ! Not far at all from your home place. Its great to hear of someone else that knows where we are coming from exactly. We are hoping to find work for my husband who is a joiner/carpenter by trade and I intend to stay at home with the kids, our youngest is 2. We are in a dilema as to where to locate to still have a country lifestyle for the kids. We heard that Brisbane areas are all good for the trades to find work in but would like to hear what it is like for work in smaller areas of Queensland.

Guest heather&mick

Hi Alva

Maguiresbridge! You may know a woman I used to work with in Enniskillen from Maguiresbridge. Mick's parents live in Lisnaskea. Your dilemma sounds very similar to ours. I am driving my husband demented suggesting Perth one day and then Tasmania the next! - Our eldest son had just started a lovely little school in Kinawley and we are currently looking at primary schools for him in area north of Brisbane - Sandgate or Brighton - nice surburbs. I am a social worker (looking for part time work) and my husband used to have a scuba dive business back in Enniskillen. I suppose the city offered us the best chance of work with decent wages but I'm sure your husband will have no problem finding work anywhere - he has got a great trade. You may not find the ideal place straight away but Australia is beautiful and our kids love it so far (although I would love to settle away from the city eventually) There are lots of fantastic things for kids - great playparks and the theme parks here are good - though our two are a bit young, good cycle tracks and nice beaches on the sunshine coast. You can get lovely big houses with good area for kids and pool at a decent price but these are not going to be near a city or beach - I suppose same as most cities.

Courier mail is local paper for queensland jobs although we found back home that the internet was fantastic for sourcing loads of info - I suppose the hardest part is choosing where to go in Oz.

Good luck

Heather&Mick

• 2 years later...

Hi,

We're from Tyrone, just between Stewartstown & Coagh. We are trying to get hubby's skill assessed at the minute and hopeing to go to Queensland this year. We started all this in July 08 and thought we would have been there by now. We had a company sponsorship at xmas then it fell through so we are trying for PR, hubby is a spray painter. We have friends in Perth, but Queensland just seems beautiful and hot, which is great when you are sick of looking at grey skys all the time. We have never been to Australia before. Good luck to everyone, hope you get to live your dream soon.

Karen xx.

Guest o2coffix001@optusnet.com.

Hi I am from Lisburn and oh from Banbridge we live on the sunshine coast just relocated from Melbourne. Which state are you moving to?

Hi, we are moving to Queensland but not sure where abouts just now, it depends where the best job is for oh. we love the look of the coast, we were looking at bundaberg or redcliffe. the sunshine coast looks great too. How long have you been there ? is it everything you expected ? do you have any kids ?

Karen xx

Guest tony and sheena

Hi all, we made the move four weeks ago from Cookstown to the Gold Coast.

It's early days for us, but we love it and I certainly can't foresee any problems for us in the long term, we've all settled well, no homesickness and the kids are happy at school, so far.

Good to see so many from home on the forum, I didn't realise there were so many.

All the best

Sheena

Guest o2coffix001@optusnet.com.

Hi Kareng We have a 14 year old son we live in Mountain Creek beside Mooloolaba.It is a lovely area we moved up 6 weeks ago from Melb and I have sat up my own domestic cleaning business. My son has settled into school and made friends there is quite a few Irish up here was at a bbq last weekend and met another 2 Irish couples came out in Sept one from belfast and another from newtownards.

Sorry to jump in here guys. Hi Karen, Its jimroo2 here, just read your reply to me on another thread then lost it!! IT not my strong point. I have family in Melbourne and so that is where we are hoping to go.We are just waiting on a date for workplace assessment. Had to cancel my assessment booked for 4th March. We where waiting for a letter from a client then all our paperwork (nearly 300 pages) had to be certified by a solicitor. He was tearing his hair out having to do each page! But unfortunately this delay cost me my assessment because it would not be with the agent in time. aaarrrrghhh!!! So please be advised that you should get all your paperwork organised in good time. Third parties let us down because they dont really understand how quickly things get done by agents and training assessors. Good luck anyway, keep in touch . Jim

Guest jella

hi heather

my name is majella, we have just moved to brisbane myself husband steve and 2 year old katelin. we have moved to mount ommaney which is 14 km from the city. i have met a few others through this web site and another and they are lovely. we are all in the one boat, and it lovely to meet others here living, if feel like a coffee or meeting up, give me a call, email is majellamcgee82@hotmail.com or phone is 0466 483966

Archived