TAX There I said that horrible word but.....

Que Sera Sera

Would anyone be able to give me a rough idea how much tax someone would have to pay if for instance they were earning $60,000 are year? Is it like the British system in that you pay more the more you earn or is there a fixed rate also if you were to earn vastly less is there a tax free amount like here?:huh:

Guest Pinhead

Assuming you're a permanent resident in the tax year 08/09 you would pay $12,000 of tax on $60,000 plus medicare levy of $900. So your effective tax rate would be 21.5%.

Tax in oz is the same as the uk system where by you get a $6K tax free amount and the tax rate gets higher the more you earn.

This site gives you the rate for the next few years

Tax Rates

Medicare levy is 1.5% on everything at the $60,000 level.

One fairly material difference in a tax context between the UK and Australia is the relative ease with which in Australia you can claim expenses incurred in deriving assessable income as a tax deduction, reducing your tax bill as a result.

The law allowing tax relief on such expenses in the UK is much more restrictive.

A good tax accountant should be able to guide you on this subject - it may well be worthwhile seeing one soon after you arrive in Australia to get a better understanding of the receipts and other details you should retain for future need.

Best regards.

Guest Badger Brock

This is an interesting thread, and the replies very useful, but could someone please tell me if the UK State Pension is included in the calculation of $6,000 or only work pensions? I am moving over to Oz on the Parent visa and will only have my pensions to live on and am hoping I wont be worse off.

Cheers, V

It depends on your visa subclass, V.

If you are granted a subclass 143 visa - yes the UK State Pension is assessable income in Australia, but with a 8% deduction available for what is called the Undeducted Purchase Price.

If you are granted a temporary - ie a subclass 173 - visa - probably not assessable.

See also UK Revenue form FD2:

HM Revenue & Customs: UK/Australia Double Taxation Convention (2003)- Forms Available To Claim Relief

Best regards.

Guest Badger Brock

Hi Alan, sorry to hijack the thread. My subclass is 103, so Im guessing my pension will be assessable. Thanks for the info. V

Archived