Any mums on the Sunshine Coast?

Guest welshmum

Guest nahenel101
Thanks for that Les.

We've been to Coolum a couple of times and are trying to decide between there and Maroochydore-completely different I know.

My boys are sports mad. Skating, BMXing, dirt biking, swimming and rugby- we are always busy!

They had surf lessons at Coolum Surf Club and cant wait to go back.

We are a little concerned that it may be too quiet but are keeping our options open and have decided that, if we are making this huge move, we have to go for our dream-there are worse places for the boys to live.

We have a friend living in Maroochydore who is picking us up and has found us a place to stay until we find a rental-A/C is a must I know (helps being married to A/C Engineer as Im sure Kim will agree!) for the first 6 months .

We wont buy until the rate improves, luckily we changed some money last year when the rate was high so that will keep us going for a while and by then we should have the boys settled in schools and that may help us to decide on an area.

So many things to think about :wacko:.

Please keep your advice coming everyone - xx

If your boys are sportsminded then Coolum probably is a good bet. House prices have come down quite a bit in the last 6 months-my husband is an agent at Ray White Coolum. The esplanade is boarded up for a total refurbishment until around christmas time. He predicts that when the new look is unveilled that there will be big interest from buyers and prices may once again rise, so bare that in mind. Ive been here 3 years and with the redevelopment plus lower house prices this feels like it could be a great little place to cash in.

Ive made lots of friends here and we usually have a girls night out about once a month, just going down the surf club and bowles club to watch the bands. It does have a real community feel here, something I dont think you would have in Maroochydore. Good luck with whatever you decide x

Les

Guest emma270

Hi Emma, It is so hard to advise people on where is best as there are so many lovely areas to choose from on the Sunshine Coast. You may be best of to take a holiday here then look around and base your move on favourite school or where the work is.

Caloundra is very nice, but as I say there are lots of other nice areas too.

Have you been to these parts before?

We havent been yet, we are looking at visiting in the next year. My partner works overseas so i will be on my own with 4 children most of the time.

Guest MOLLOYS5

Hi Emma,

It depends on work too but here's my 2 bobs worth. We have been up to visit the area 3 times now!! I have a friend in Caloundra who loves it nice community but too busy for meand a lot of Brit only estates!! I know I am an expat(hate the word pom) but having lived overseas for 13 years don't really feel like one anymore, it is nice to get a authentic Aussie experience i don't see the point in people moving to Oz and then hanging out with just Brits, a lot of people do thoug,hope noone takes offense to that comment i'm sure you all know what I mean!, it is nice to make some freinds from the Uk but I have always found the aussies great and some of my best friends are aussies so I am biased! Anyway we have heard from a friend of a friend who had lived in Coolum for 14 yrs good things it is a lot quieter there but has a nice community feel to it and close to Noosa, we looked at Stella Maris a lovely Catholic school and were very impressed, just looking into work now before we move from Sydney. Good luck, by the way how is Perth??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest AnnabelCandy

My kids aged 11, 8 and 4 are at the Sunshine Beach State School and loving it. Maybe we could get together over the school holidays? I'm writing a blog about our new life in Australia. I definitely think there's a hump from 4 or 6 months to a year or so, when it's not new and more but you still don't have good friends. We'll get there though! These things take time.

I've written some stories about my efforts to settle in and make friends in Noosa on my blog. There are posts on topics like meeting people, families with kids and living overseas that may interest you. I'd love it if you could check out my blog and leave a comment and hope we can even get together some time.

Archived