Where to live

Guest lolajays

Guest lolajays

Has anyone any thoughts on Bunbury or Albany???? We keep on changing cities everyone seems to have good and bad points. What do you think?

must have heard my name being spoken, we live in Bunbury and its a very laid back way of life and only 2 hours to Perth rather than about 6 to 7 from Albany, we still haven't got there yet ourselves but hear its beautiful. Just need to think of the logistics of visitors and if you need to get to the city often, we rarely go up there to be honest we just don't need to. Check out mysouthwest.com.au you might find out more useful info on the two different cities/towns.

Sarah

feel free to pm with further questions, don't get on here as much as before but I'll keep an eye out. Everyone will have different opions its nothing like the UK our lifestyle is totally different I'll compare it to living in the country as to living in say living in a large city....quiet, not alot of traffic, pubs/bars but pubs here are nothing like the UK but think that's aussie wide as aussies don't do pubs like back at home, beaches beaches beaches, wildlife and lots of countryside. Its very beautiful here and we still have tons of places to explore the country is massive.

Guest lolajays

I think I have found my heaven! Adey thanks for your post Bunbury sounds like a place I could be happy in. Now to arrange a hoiday there to check out the area!

Thanks again Adey

Tracey and co!

Geraldine Wilson

Project Officer - Skilled Migration

South West Development Commission

PO Box 2000

BUNBURY WA 6231

Tele: +61 8 9792 2000 - Direct: +61 8 9792 2008

Mobile: 04199 13758

www.swdc.wa.gov.au

Take a look at this website they can help you obtain regional sponsorship and temporary visa's.

Another good website is www.mysouthwest.com.au which lists all the local amenities, blah blah blah. You'll get a good idea what its like down in the South West.

We used Overhill Kennels in Bristol they were fantastic with the dog and sorted everything out for her to come over as we'd already been here six months by the time we brought her over.

Use google maps (use the australian version) as you can see photo's of the streets here and get a good idea of the area and houses and see how close things are to parks, beaches etc.

www.realestate.com.au will give you an idea whats on the market at the moment, plenty of bargains around at the moment due to the economic situation.

hope it all goes well and you manage to get here on a rekkie. We are just over 2 hours from Perth and the airport, one long road straight down through bush (countryside) and small towns.

its our heaven too, just takes a while to 'get it' as nothing like you've seen before I can tell you....reminds me of the old wild west with the tin roofs and shop fronts lol.

Sarah

hi ali, I don't come on here as much as I used to but try to help out as often as I can. Hope all is well with you. We are applying for a permanent visa now so fingers crossed that we get it quickly. Just moved into our own home and its fantastic totally settles you and we so enjoy living here and the first year has just flown by.

Guest tracynben

i dont think theres that much going on in albany, and there wont be as many jobs there. I have never been but ive been to bunbury and its lovely there, nice shops and stuff and much closer to perth.

My auntie lives 30 mins from bunbury and loves it down there.

tracy xxxxxx

Hi Lolajays

We visited Bunbury on our rekkie to Perth in June. I thought the town centre was nice, shops seemed good with vintage clothing and music shops. Stopped at some beach near the town and a local told us that there will be alot of development over the next 25 years. Mandurah stlye with houses on the waterfront and canals. Could be good if you want a small town feel.

Best regards.

Guest lolajays

Thanks for all of the replies! We have had a total change of heart, it looks like we are going to Melbourne!

So now the hunt begins!

Good luck with your move to Melbourne, haven't been there yet but everyone says the shopping/restaurants are great over there and houses are cheaper in VIC than in WA so that could be a good move at the moment looking at the UK economy at least your money will go further. At least you'll be able to come to WA for a holiday as we have great beaches/landscape and our climate is totally different to the East.

Good luck with your move to Melbourne, haven't been there yet but everyone says the shopping/restaurants are great over there and houses are cheaper in VIC than in WA so that could be a good move at the moment looking at the UK economy at least your money will go further. At least you'll be able to come to WA for a holiday as we have great beaches/landscape and our climate is totally different to the East.

Youre rite there its more colder brrrrr

mally

Guest lolajays

Well now Im in a dilema! We went to a seminar type thing at the weekend and now im more confused than ever! We are going to check out both Melbourne and Perth in May but now I want to see Brisbane too oh pants! I cant do all 3 so will have to give Brisbane a miss I guess! Plus I dont think Brickies are on the skills list for there either!

Archived