is the building trade still going strong??

Guest Rik

hi,i am planning 2 move 2 Perth in July with my girlfriend,she is a nurse and i am a builder. The building trade is on it's knee's over here,wot is the situation in Perth?? any information anyone could give me would be a big help! Thanx

There was a story in the West Australian yesterday suggesting that for the first time for a while that tradespeople are having to approach the companies for work because things have slowed down a little. It had a picture of an English Migrant Brickie who has resorted to writing his phone number on a board somewhere to try to get work - on reading the article he had only been here a few weeks though. People seem confident that things will pick up

Ali

Guest tony&dee

Hi, we have just come back from a reccie in Perth and my o/h is a joiner, we spoke to quite a few people in the building trade and there seems to be plenty of work for good tradies. In one of the local wa papers under building and construction they were crying out for brickies. Hope this helps.

Hi, we have just come back from a reccie in Perth and my o/h is a joiner, we spoke to quite a few people in the building trade and there seems to be plenty of work for good tradies. In one of the local wa papers under building and construction they were crying out for brickies. Hope this helps.

That makes us feel so much better, hubby is a bricklayer and going to validate in February to Perth and will also look at the job situation there. Steve is fortunate to have work at the moment here in Yorkshire but the building trade is really bad, tradesmen out of work for the first time ever. Just hope that there is plenty of work when we do make the final move, that is my worst fear, that we get there and Steve wont get work, we will run out of money, and end up coming back to the UK. Where did you stay in Perth?

Guest tony&dee
That makes us feel so much better, hubby is a bricklayer and going to validate in February to Perth and will also look at the job situation there. Steve is fortunate to have work at the moment here in Yorkshire but the building trade is really bad, tradesmen out of work for the first time ever. Just hope that there is plenty of work when we do make the final move, that is my worst fear, that we get there and Steve wont get work, we will run out of money, and end up coming back to the UK. Where did you stay in Perth?

Hi, we stayed at an apartment in Ocean Reef we found it on the stayz website under calypso retreat, the couple who owned it were great and it was central to most things if you have a car. My hubby is a carpenter and it is a bit of a nightmare here at the moment, he has always had plenty of work and just recently it is hard going.

suppose will av to keep fingers crossed and hope for the best,i got layed off this week so it cant get any worse, maybe a change of career is on thecards!!are all british qualifacations valid in oz?i heard it can cost a few quid 2 swap over??

Guest tim_the_taf

Sorry to hear that Rik. People are being laid off here as well, so its not always greener... However, they were so short of people to start with, I reckon there will still be jobs.

I know that trade qualifications are state specific, I know a painter who had moved from Sydney to Perth, and he had to re-register. They limit how much you can charge if you're not registered. Given that many thousands have come over here and found work it must be relatively straightforward though. I've found that if you use google.com.au to search for info, I get better results than using google.com or google.co.uk. Good luck with it. Keep using the forums as well, there are people out there who already have all the answers you're looking for.

suppose will av to keep fingers crossed and hope for the best,i got layed off this week so it cant get any worse, maybe a change of career is on thecards!!are all british qualifacations valid in oz?i heard it can cost a few quid 2 swap over??

Archived