Does the website load slowly?

Guest Tim

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi Tim! Unfortunately, like many others, I get this problem a lot... I haven't noticed any particular times just occasionally when I try to load a page it won't load and then I try to get back into PiO and it won't load either so I have to restart the computer in order to get it working again... it's a bit of a pain...!

Hope that helps...!

Regards,

Dan

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi again Tim... funnily enough it just happened as I was trying to load my post above ^^^

So there's a time for you lol

The internet crashed and wouldn't load PiO so I restarted it and then it worked fine...!

Regards,

Dan

Guest stockies

Hi Tim.....never noticed times but always takes a while changing between threads, and when in chat it freezes and then ya get kicked out then have to start all over again and log in from the start.

Claire. XX

Thanks all - I am looking at upgrading to a dedicated server which "should" be alot faster.

Tim

Good one tim, we will be able to post faster too (woo hoo) anychance in our profile page on signature we can upload pickies instead or as well as writing PLEASE X

Guest stockies
Thanks all - I am looking at upgrading to a dedicated server which "should" be alot faster.

Tim

That sounds highly testicle to me Tim...........:biglaugh:

Guest Guest9973

Just as an aside,,,,,,,,,,

I have had a few warning messages from both here and PIA - relating to Adobe Flashplayer 9. The ads use it.

I've just upgraded to Flasplayer 10 and the prob has gone:biggrin:

Good one tim, we will be able to post faster too (woo hoo) anychance in our profile page on signature we can upload pickies instead or as well as writing PLEASE X

Maybe - It was slowing the server down ealier, hence removing the option, you should still be able to upload a profile picture tho.

That sounds highly testicle to me Tim...........:biglaugh:

What you saying there young lady :biggrin:

Guest stockies

Oooops , slip of the tongue !!!!!!!!! OMG that sounds even worse....:biglaugh:

Tim I havnt been called a young lady in ages...........come to think of it I dont think I've ever been called a lady.....:biglaugh:

Claire. XX

Oooops , slip of the tongue !!!!!!!!! OMG that sounds even worse....

Tim I havnt been called a young lady in ages...........come to think of it I dont think I've ever been called a lady.....

Claire. XX

Ooooh Errr Missus, first it was testicles and then tongues.. I'd be thinking you having "thoughts" :tongue:

hi Tim

can you sort out the chat problem as well ??????????

if ya can't don't worry we'll forgive ya

It will speed it up Daz

Guest stockies
Ooooh Errr Missus, first it was testicles and then tongues.. I'd be thinking you having "thoughts" :tongue:

Lol......Its always in my thoughts..........:Randy-git:

thanks for that then Tim !!!

i'll put you on me xmas card list :hug:

Blimey - Should I feel honoured?.. Just buy be a beer when you get to Secret Harbour.

Tim

Guest UGandSMUG

Just thought I'd add my 2 penneth from a 'Network Techie' perspective.

Whilst a dedicated server will help off-load any CPU related performance issues, the main reason that the site is a bit sluggish for people in the UK is no doubt due to network latency. At the end of the day each packet must travel around the world (from Brisbane I'm guessing?) to reach your browser. Even in this day and age we are still limited by the good old speed of light. Combine this with the way that HTML 'builds' the page bit by bit (no pun intended) then there is a lot of mileage being covered.

Large companies help offset/cheat this by having caching agreements with various countries or even dedicated 'local' servers that detect your location and feed you quicker content. Naturally though this comes at a cost.

The actual variance in speed of your home broadband connection is small potatoes compared to the above.

In conclusion, hopefully the ded server will help 'load' related probs, but I very much doubt that it will get significantly better for those of us in the UK.

Of course I could be well wide of the mark and PIO may be based in Bognor Regis and just has an OZ front end! In which case, ignore..... :wacko:

Doug

Just thought I'd add my 2 penneth from a 'Network Techie' perspective.

Whilst a dedicated server will help off-load any CPU related performance issues, the main reason that the site is a bit sluggish for people in the UK is no doubt due to network latency. At the end of the day each packet must travel around the world (from Brisbane I'm guessing?) to reach your browser. Even in this day and age we are still limited by the good old speed of light. Combine this with the way that HTML 'builds' the page bit by bit (no pun intended) then there is a lot of mileage being covered.

Large companies help offset/cheat this by having caching agreements with various countries or even dedicated 'local' servers that detect your location and feed you quicker content. Naturally though this comes at a cost.

The actual variance in speed of your home broadband connection is small potatoes compared to the above.

In conclusion, hopefully the ded server will help 'load' related probs, but I very much doubt that it will get significantly better for those of us in the UK.

Of course I could be well wide of the mark and PIO may be based in Bognor Regis and just has an OZ front end! In which case, ignore..... :wacko:

Doug

Thanks Doug!

Did you see that? It was your comments going waay over my head! It is based in Oz - Sydney. For servers and the likes I haven't got a blinking clue! I know that PiO can be very server intensive during peak times, therefore my conclusion was it was this that was slowing it down, anyway I think you could be right as it may well be other issues. The pages them selves are not overly big, but as you say transmitting data over the water could be the issue.

If you have any ideas that aint to expensive I'm all ears to speed thing up!

TIm

Guest UGandSMUG
Thanks Doug!

Did you see that? It was your comments going waay over my head! It is based in Oz - Sydney. For servers and the likes I haven't got a blinking clue! I know that PiO can be very server intensive during peak times, therefore my conclusion was it was this that was slowing it down, anyway I think you could be right as it may well be other issues. The pages them selves are not overly big, but as you say transmitting data over the water could be the issue.

If you have any ideas that aint to expensive I'm all ears to speed thing up!

TIm

lol, unfortunately there's no silver bullet for the latency beast other than expensive caching engines or hosting the site in the US (half way between both as a compromise). If OZ visitors (specifically Sydney/Melb based ones) are having similar issues then no doubt a dedicated server will probably help things out and of course it will in-turn help some of the UK issues.

Pages load in a 'top down' fashion and won't complete/display until every single element has been downloaded locally. Essentially the whole page is as fast as it's slowest part! So every advertisment, smilie, avatar, mood button, chicken clickin thing (lol) etc etc add's to the overall page complexity which then potentially introduces additional latency even though the items aren't 'big' in terms of filesize. (Latency is very different from bandwidth)

Not wishing to get too complex, a dedicated server capable of handling many more connections 'comfortably' will allow (here the bandwidth comes into play) users to download these elements more con-currently rather than sequentially, which then will negate some of the effect of the 'complex' pages.

You could even split the download between multiple servers if one is struggling, maybe farm out the smilies or avatars to a different server/IP so cope with the strain.

In short, go for the dedicated server first if it isn't going to break the bank. It can't hurt!

Guest TheArmChairDetective
Just as an aside,,,,,,,,,,

I have had a few warning messages from both here and PIA - relating to Adobe Flashplayer 9. The ads use it.

I've just upgraded to Flasplayer 10 and the prob has gone:biggrin:

That's an interesting point tyke.

Archived