Wanting to head home...

Guest kieran.!

Guest pontings gone!
I moved over to gold coast about 8 weeks ago, and to be honest, am very homesick and looking to head home. Im 19 years of age and realise what an oppertunity this could be, and im set to start uni in february here in Oz. Being here has made me realise how much you miss little things in your everyday life and take it for granted. How much i miss a pint and a proper night out is unbelievable(dont i sound classy!) I appreciate some people may have completely different opinions and slate me for thinking going bacmk to "crappy england" is the right move, but at the end of the day its home.

People will argue i havent given it a chance etc..fair point, but when your unhappy you have to do something about it, and moving home seems the right thing to do, just to get back on my feet again and away from feeling so crappy and homesick all the time.

Friends have said stick it out, if its still bad just do what makes you happiest, which seems the realistic thing to do i guess?

If i go back also i will be leaving my family here in OZ, as we all moved together, and then id have the emotions of leaving them and going at it on my own with what family and friends i have in england.

Anyone in the same situation?

Advice needed!!

I know like a lot of people out here, how you feel.

You have an advantage being so young. More likely to find friends at your age then people in 30's and 40's. So in theory you should have a good social life. Going out is better in UK but you should have a good time I would of thought.

Also being 19 if you waste a couple of years on a fruitless ventrure then so what you are still early 20's. No big deal. Again it's different for old people who emmigrate who sell up their houses and end up wasting 2/3 years trying to adapt when really they are best suited back in UK.

I believe UK has more to offer than Australia in all sorts of ways long term. But if I was you I would stay , you have virtually nothing to lose.

Guest treesea
Errr excuse me but,

If i say that we cannot afford to go home at the mo then thats what i mean, have you seen the work issues in the uk peeps getting laid off left right & center, the credit crunch etc it really isnt a good time, you mention if no work then sign on, have you ever thought that some peeps may not want to do this as i for one have never ever been on the dole & woudnt want to either, i have more pride than that for myself, no wonder the uk is in such a mess if people like yourself just think sign on & get ya rental paid for !!!!:madxmas:

I get your point about most people not wanting to be on the dole, but I don't see the point of staying somewhere if your heart isn't in it and if the only thing standing between you and where you want to live is money.

I wouldn't say the dole is for those who "want" it - no such thing over here as choosing not to work and signing on. Not nowadays. They've taken a leaf from Australia's cap and are really tough on that sort of thing. But it is there as a last resort.

And yes, I see the media reports about job losses in the UK everyday - the media really like to hype it up. But even if the numbers unemployed go up as high as 8 percent - currently nowhere near that - , that still means that 92% of those that want to work are working. Given from what you say that you have never been out of work, your chance of being part of the 8% rather than the 92% is fairly slim, wouldn't you say?

As to the credit crunch, imho it is a lot of media hype. Sure, 100% mortgages seem to be a thing of the past. And people who owned RBS or HBoS shares have taken a hammering. But if you want to a buy a house, for instance, and have a decent deposit, it's no problem getting a loan.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keiran, You're young, English, you come across as quite bright so why not stay for the aussie summer, sew the wild oats and high tail out of the place. I was just a year older than you when i was there and i was getting "it" nearly every night. All the backpacker girls miles away from home all gagging for it!! and as for the local aussie girls?? just take a look at the competition! Bogan%20200%20x%20200.gif

Archived