We're new and looking for honest opinions!! ;-)

Guest wispa23

Dont know about Wolverhampton but Birmingham and London are buzzin t weekends,

As I say if you like horlicks and an early night Perth is the place fpr you...:jiggy:

How did you guess my new drink Jack Daniels and Horlicks up till 3 then out like a light, where exactly are you Earls, one post you were in Wolverhampton picture of a pint in the Lakes Birmingham ,London hoes the weather

Mally

Guest wispa23

Hahaha I have just checked this for today and I must say that the post is errrrr getting quite lively lolol!!

Thanks everyone for your replies so far - just having a quiet giggle to myself here ....

Bexta - Thank you for taking so much time to write your post - I really appreciate it especially from another female's Point of view .....

Quick question: Is the shopping ok in Perth (I knw you said its not as good as Melb but still good yeah?) and also are there many people in mid twenties there without children or do they tend to move away?

Thank you!!!!

Guest earlswood
Hahaha I have just checked this for today and I must say that the post is errrrr getting quite lively lolol!!

Thanks everyone for your replies so far - just having a quiet giggle to myself here ....

Bexta - Thank you for taking so much time to write your post - I really appreciate it especially from another female's Point of view .....

Quick question: Is the shopping ok in Perth (I knw you said its not as good as Melb but still good yeah?) and also are there many people in mid twenties there without children or do they tend to move away?

Thank you!!!!

Shooping is dire in Perth to be honest, shops close soo bloody early, mind you I suppose I was spoiled after living in London.

Thank you!!!!

There are quite a lot shoppin (typical woman ) malls some designer stuff but its just thongs (flipflops) . Have to ask yourself what you want out of life . Oz is not the UK

Mally

Guest wispa23
There are quite a lot shoppin (typical woman ) malls some designer stuff but its just thongs (flipflops) . Have to ask yourself what you want out of life . Oz is not the UK

Mally

Yeah I'm in Barcelona and the shopping experience here has been different to the UK so I'm sure I'l become accustomed to the different shops etc when I get there,

So far Perth sounds great.... Trying to convince my man to leave here earlier than June hehe :laughxmas:

Guest earlswood
Sorry but Earlswood I dont think he was ever in oz for more than a fleetin moment , think he was in cyber Perth . Llama Bar |Earls went in other nitefor drink Earl Earl who the f@@@ is earl

Mally

They now me in the Llama bar, you didnt even ask did you....

Good post bexta but Being brought up in a place is IMO slightly different, what is good clubs and nightlife to you might seem rubbish to someone from the UK, and I am giving my opinions to people from the UK moving to Perth...I know what young people have over here and I am just warning them that compared to the Cities in the UK that Perth is boring on the whole...have you ever been to the UK?

Yeah, I know my view of Perth is obviously somewhat sunnier than yours, having been brought up here... but yes, I have been to the UK, and am in fact someone you would call fairly well travelled. I've lived in both Edinburgh and spent this year in the Cheshire, so had the pleasure (ahem?) of experiencing the nightlife in Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham. I've also spent some time in LA. I'm not saying Perth can live up to these cities in terms of places to go, opening times or range of different venues, it can't (though it can certainly hold its own!). But I think that Sydney probably could (yep, been there too) and Wispa has been saying that is exactly what she DOESN'T want... so maybe Perth would be just the right place for her?

:cutexmas:

I think its a crying shame you never liked it here, but I guess if you were used to the nights out in Birmingham and London you probably wouldn't. Did you move to Perth by choice? I woulda thought Sydney or Melbs would haven been more your cup of tea based on your views of why Perth is "boring"?

Anyway, I hope you're much happier back in chilly-chilly land (as I like to call it!) and not trying to make you jealous or nothing but this weekend in Perth looks like this:

Sat Sunny 27°C | 17°C

Sun Sunny 27°C | 12°C

:jiggy:

Thank you!!!!

Hey Wispa,

No worries!

Don't stress the shopping here in Perth is pretty good too IMHO. We have all the major names/brands that Melbs and Sydney have, and quite a good range of independent stores too, you just need to know where to look. I still think Melbs is better for shopping, simply cos they have a HUGE range of independent stores and quite a few different shopping districts.

Perth has got several large shopping centres with good shops in (eg Karrinyup, Garden City etc) and then obviously Perth centre itself is good, as is Subiaco and some other areas. I think the UK has more to offer in terms of the range of shops they have and I find that there aren't as many 'cheap and cheerful' shops over here eg Top Shop etc. But there is still plenty to choose from don't worry!

:yesxmas:

Oh and yes, there are plenty of 20-something people here without kids (lol), I know the impression you must get from going on here sometimes, eg Perth is only for young families and retirees etc. But that is really not the case, a couple of my friends have moved away but the majority of us are still here and when we go out there is always plenty of other 20-somethings around. You'll make friends in no time I promise! (And my OH and I are more than happy to take you out when you get here and show you the sights!)

:winkxmas:

Guest earlswood
Yeah, I know my view of Perth is obviously somewhat sunnier than yours, having been brought up here... but yes, I have been to the UK, and am in fact someone you would call fairly well travelled. I've lived in both Edinburgh and spent this year in the Cheshire, so had the pleasure (ahem?) of experiencing the nightlife in Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham. I've also spent some time in LA. I'm not saying Perth can live up to these cities in terms of places to go, opening times or range of different venues, it can't (though it can certainly hold its own!). But I think that Sydney probably could (yep, been there too) and Wispa has been saying that is exactly what she DOESN'T want... so maybe Perth would be just the right place for her?

:cutexmas:

I think its a crying shame you never liked it here, but I guess if you were used to the nights out in Birmingham and London you probably wouldn't. Did you move to Perth by choice? I woulda thought Sydney or Melbs would haven been more your cup of tea based on your views of why Perth is "boring"?

Anyway, I hope you're much happier back in chilly-chilly land (as I like to call it!) and not trying to make you jealous or nothing but this weekend in Perth looks like this:

Sat Sunny 27°C | 17°C

Sun Sunny 27°C | 12°C

:jiggy:

Just my luck, 2 years in Perth and I miss a whole weekened of decent sunny weather......

Guest wispa23
Hey Wispa,

No worries!

Don't stress the shopping here in Perth is pretty good too IMHO. We have all the major names/brands that Melbs and Sydney have, and quite a good range of independent stores too, you just need to know where to look. I still think Melbs is better for shopping, simply cos they have a HUGE range of independent stores and quite a few different shopping districts.

Perth has got several large shopping centres with good shops in (eg Karrinyup, Garden City etc) and then obviously Perth centre itself is good, as is Subiaco and some other areas. I think the UK has more to offer in terms of the range of shops they have and I find that there aren't as many 'cheap and cheerful' shops over here eg Top Shop etc. But there is still plenty to choose from don't worry!

Oh and yes, there are plenty of 20-something people here without kids (lol), I know the impression you must get from going on here sometimes, eg Perth is only for young families and retirees etc. But that is really not the case, a couple of my friends have moved away but the majority of us are still here and when we go out there is always plenty of other 20-somethings around. You'll make friends in no time I promise! (And my OH and I are more than happy to take you out when you get here and show you the sights!)

:winkxmas:

I'm taking you up on that offer Bexta!!!!I'l be in touch nearer the time hehe!!!

Thanks all for your replies ...... Looks as if I'll be heading out on my own first for the first few months then Jamie will follow .... think another stop over in Thailand is in order hehe!!!

Thanks guys speak soon!!!! :yesxmas:

:) first off, ignore everything Earlswood says. His truths are mixed up in a lot of bias and blindness. Perth is a city, like any other, with good and less good points. I lived here as a boy and youth, and later as a much more mature man with family. I - we - love it. If your life revolves around the pseudo-culture of TV, beer and nightclubs to counterbalance a dull working life, then you will be bored here. If you are outgoing, adventurous, fun-loving, able to mix and meet with people and contribute to life - you will be right at home here. The weather is fantastic (even if the year has been cooler than usual this year) - but we are looking forward to 30 and 35C over this weekend. The water was lovely last weekend, even if the air temp was only 26 and the Freo doctor a bit lively. You will find flora and fauna fascinating and stunningly beautiful. WA is huge, wih very different areas to visit.

As a photographer, the opportunities are immense.

So what the bloody hell are you waiting for? Bars and restauants are expensive, but some great venues around.

You could pick a better time though - economy is not thriving, but we expect things to settle as everywhere else. The only thing you should not bring is the exectation that this is somehow a super version of the UK and so leave the comparisons behind.

Guest earlswood
:)first off, ignore everything Earlswood says. His truths are mixed up in a lot of bias and blindness. Perth is a city, like any other, with good and less good points. I lived here as a boy and youth, and later as a much more mature man with family. I - we - love it. If your life revolves around the pseudo-culture of TV, beer and nightclubs to counterbalance a dull working life, then you will be bored here. If you are outgoing, adventurous, fun-loving, able to mix and meet with people and contribute to life - you will be right at home here. The weather is fantastic (even if the year has been cooler than usual this year) - but we are looking forward to 30 and 35C over this weekend. The water was lovely last weekend, even if the air temp was only 26 and the Freo doctor a bit lively. You will find flora and fauna fascinating and stunningly beautiful. WA is huge, wih very different areas to visit.

As a photographer, the opportunities are immense.

So what the bloody hell are you waiting for? Bars and restauants are expensive, but some great venues around.

You could pick a better time though - economy is not thriving, but we expect things to settle as everywhere else. The only thing you should not bring is the exectation that this is somehow a super version of the UK and so leave the comparisons behind.

I have my opinion of boring Perth and graffeti and crime ridden Northbridge and if you do not like it.....tough....

You like it I did not....so whats your problem...

And the weather was not that good at all the 2 years I was there.

Earlswood, it is not so much that we are bored of your opinion, but rather that it is really unfair to expect of someone new to Australia in general or Perth in particular, to be able to pick out of the manifest dross of your opinionated comments those nuggets of truth and unbiased observation. Your thoughts have value, but only to those who already know the facts, and can see where you are way off target. So yes - the general advice to an enquirer must be to ignore everything you say - whether it is true or not, and seek out people whose opinions are based on less biased and untruthful stances. You are good for amusement, but useless for information.

Guest earlswood
Earlswood, it is not so much that we are bored of your opinion, but rather that it is really unfair to expect of someone new to Australia in general or Perth in particular, to be able to pick out of the manifest dross of your opinionated comments those nuggets of truth and unbiased observation. Your thoughts have value, but only to those who already know the facts, and can see where you are way off target. So yes - the general advice to an enquirer must be to ignore everything you say - whether it is true or not, and seek out people whose opinions are based on less biased and untruthful stances. You are good for amusement, but useless for information.

I do not give a flying dingbat what you think of me to be honest Docbore, Everything I write about Northbridge being the pits is true....if you don't like it.......tough.

Earlsod, it matters little what I think of you or your opinions. It is true I think very little of them, but that is still inconsequential. It does matter that people get a true view of Australia, and while you may - must - disagree, it should be made very clear that your views are definitely ..... well, idiosyncratic may be a more polite way of describing them.

Guest peel zoo

HI Guys ,

Perth is very friendly ,we are South of the river .We see many expats so you would be right at home .The houses here have been expensive but reality has set in so houses are coming down in value .Jobs for your selves are plenty to be had .Those with skills are snapped up very quickly .You will enjoy Perth .I have lived in Melb too .Its nice but its not what you know its who you know .Good luck .Drop by any time .

Tony Peel Zoo | Wildlife Park | Mandurah |Western Australia

Archived