The truth about living in oz

Guest Macca Roo

Hi Ive been here nearly 2 weeks now (Brisbane) and completely agree with you.

From posts Id read on here I imagined the shops to be bordering on eastern european, and that Id be stepping back in time to the 1970's.

Ive found it the complete opposite!! The shops are Chermside are open for 48hrs non-stop in the run up to Xmas, most areas have a thurs night late night shopping. I love that they pack your bags for you, the variety is absolutely fine as far as Im concerned. The staff Ive found friendly and helpful too.

I've always got a free parking space, even 3 weeks before Xmas!! Last Sunday we went to the beach, parked for free right by the beach, got a covered picnic area and free BBQ and shared the whole beach with a handful of families!!! The sun shone, the sea was warm and we were in heaven!!

I'm absolutely loving Australia and all its differences!!

Angelcake

Its apain parkin at our local mall Westfield whitfords in wa esp on late nite thursday, the staff have to park on the grass leadin up to xmas to get more punters parked . I still cant get the hang of shorts , sunnies and xmas decorations and bloomin carols playin

Mally

PIO tURNIP

Guest aussie roy

:smilexmas: When I came to Oz in '66 it was as a fitter/turner but by 1970 I tried my hand at selling and started making a success of it by 1972 in credit sales,the equivalent of the tally man in England. In 1974 I moved into retail sales and in those days major stores and centres had late night shopping on Friday night and opened 'til 11.30am or 12noon on Saturday,and that was it 'til Monday.Over the next twenty years things began to change,first it all day Saturday,then,even though it was considered illegal,the occasional Sunday,up to the present day when even public holidays are no longer taboo,except for Christmas Day and Good Friday,even on those days if you know where to look somebody will be open. Yes we were discouraged from taking holidays leading up to Christmas and perhaps that is what dampened my enthusiasm for the festive season,but not the love of my new country.

I have met a number of malcontents over the years,some may have had a genuine grievance but most were those who expected to find England in the sun. My advice to those who intend to make Australia home is to accept the similarities and the differences in the right spirit and most of all,give it a fair go,mate!!! :biggrinxmas:

Guest brooksey

Shops and parking are much better in Oz. Free bbqs are great. we've just bought a piece of land with small parks to the side and accross the road which both have bbqs 50 foot from our door. Saves our gas lol

Guest treesea
It does make you wonder??!!!.....if you hated a counrty soooooooooo much and moved back to the UK where you tell everyone its sooooooooooo great, why would you keep posting on a site to do with Oz...the place you want to forget???...ummmmmmm!!:no:

But there's more to this site than just being for those who have made the leap and are enjoying it. I read a fair few posts from people who would like to come back to the UK but are in two minds as to what they will find when they get here.

Australia, imho, is a great place to live when you are in work, earning a fair bit and able to afford the lifestyle. But it's pretty tough if you can't find a job. You're a long time living there before you qualify for help from the government on that score. My advice would be to take enough to live on for a couple of years, - "just in case" money. Oz isn't in recession yet, but once it is it will become much harder for new immigrants who go without employer sponsorship to find work on the ground. We arrived in Melbourne in the midst of the 1990-1992 recession and it took us both months to find even temporary work (systems analyst and chef). This is going back a bit, but my uncle arrived in the 1970-1971 recession on an employer sponsored visa, and was laid off within weeks of arriving (boilermaker).

Shops and parking are much better in Oz. Free bbqs are great. we've just bought a piece of land with small parks to the side and accross the road which both have bbqs 50 foot from our door. Saves our gas lol

Typical tight tyke nip to beach for a shower as well :tonguexmas:

Mally

PIO Turnip

Guest earlswood
We leave 26th Jan Earl. Still doesn't feel real. Are you still enjoying the UK?

Yeh, its good...you can have a good time in either Country to be honest and as I say for a family Perth is better than Stoke by a Coiuntry mile.:emoticon-signxmas:

But there's more to this site than just being for those who have made the leap and are enjoying it. I read a fair few posts from people who would like to come back to the UK but are in two minds as to what they will find when they get here.

Australia, imho, is a great place to live when you are in work, earning a fair bit and able to afford the lifestyle. But it's pretty tough if you can't find a job. You're a long time living there before you qualify for help from the government on that score. My advice would be to take enough to live on for a couple of years, - "just in case" money. Oz isn't in recession yet, but once it is it will become much harder for new immigrants who go without employer sponsorship to find work on the ground. We arrived in Melbourne in the midst of the 1990-1992 recession and it took us both months to find even temporary work (systems analyst and chef). This is going back a bit, but my uncle arrived in the 1970-1971 recession on an employer sponsored visa, and was laid off within weeks of arriving (boilermaker).

I know what you mean but the crux of it is whether Earls was here in the first place

Mally

PIO Turnip

Guest dallowsinoz

Having read the excellent post by "Macca Roo" I have to say that I agree in principal with what they're saying however Tesco's is still sadly missed if only for the variety of stock that they sold.

We have been living in Sydney since March this year and i have to say that we absolutely, bloody love it here and just wish that we had made this move years ago (43 now and just scraped in).

We were becoming increasingly concerned about the levels of violence in the U.K and were generally looking for a more outdoor, relaxed, friendly, safe, fresher way of life. I am under no illusion about the fact that there is violence in this country but nowhere near to the extent of the U.K.

One of the best threads that I read before moving here mentioned that "do not think you are moving in to a country that is free from the problems of the U.K, only believe that it is different and you have to be willing to embrace its diversity".

We have made more new friends in the last 9 months than we had in the last 9 years, its just a shame that Manly is such a transient place that you don't hold on to them for long. We are moving up to the Central coast to be able to plant some roots and looking forward to making more friends in Terrigal.

Good luck to all of the people who are moving to Oz soon, expect it to be different above all else!

Tim

Having read the excellent post by "Macca Roo" I have to say that I agree in principal with what they're saying however Tesco's is still sadly missed if only for the variety of stock that they sold.

We have been living in Sydney since March this year and i have to say that we absolutely, bloody love it here and just wish that we had made this move years ago (43 now and just scraped in).

We were becoming increasingly concerned about the levels of violence in the U.K and were generally looking for a more outdoor, relaxed, friendly, safe, fresher way of life. I am under no illusion about the fact that there is violence in this country but nowhere near to the extent of the U.K.

One of the best threads that I read before moving here mentioned that "do not think you are moving in to a country that is free from the problems of the U.K, only believe that it is different and you have to be willing to embrace its diversity".

We have made more new friends in the last 9 months than we had in the last 9 years, its just a shame that Manly is such a transient place that you don't hold on to them for long. We are moving up to the Central coast to be able to plant some roots and looking forward to making more friends in Terrigal.

Good luck to all of the people who are moving to Oz soon, expect it to be different above all else!

Tim

They`ll have to call you Terrigall Tim then mate:twitcy:

Mally

Guest Guest9973
Typical tight tyke nip to beach for a shower as well :tonguexmas:

Mally

PIO Turnip

Oi! - who you calling tight???

:laughxmas:

Guest brooksey
Typical tight tyke nip to beach for a shower as well

Mally

PIO Turnip

The hot waters free at the beach showers, so if you've been in the sea you may as well take soap and shampoo with you:yes::biglaugh:

Archived