needed essex friends!

hello there, Are there any essex people living on the northern beaches? Married to a west ham fan, with teenage daughter who is eighteen and son age twelve we arrived here august 2007, fortunatley were getting used to it here,because its been so hard and i really feel for those who have just arrived here it takes at least 2 yrs to settle...hope to hear from you thanks emma:unsure:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest leanne in queensland

hi emma, im from essex used to live in canvey island, im living in the gold coast wasnt sure were u r what state ? i have 5 kids 15,13,11,6 and 1yr old 4 boys 1 girl ,have lived in oz for nearly 4 years now u r right it does take about 2 years to settle, r u happy u left england ? we think me made the right decision only thing we miss is the family.well hope u speak again soon leanne x

hi leanne thanks for your reply, u say your from canvey island, we from southend lol!

We visited queensland last year nearly moved up there really liked it there had a lovely time,

we decided to live in sydney to be closer to my parents who migrated 3 yrs ago,things are much better now than they were last year, i hated it here i just wanted to go back home,we moaned about everything i packed my bags several times and kept crying all the time.All going back to uk in june for a month looking foward to a decent curry and fry up and seeing friends tho. Are u happy here do your children like it here? my daughter is very homesick misses her english friends so much... hope to hear back from u soon from emma x:

Guest leanne in queensland

hi emma, what a small world cant believe you were not far from me, i might be going back in july my sisters having a baby and my cousin is getting married only if we save enough money so expense to go back.A curry and a sausage in batter is what im craving my mouths watering as im typing lol.I havent been to sydney lived in south australia for the first 3 years only just moved to the gold coast only moved because of hubbys work but do really like it here feels like im starting again tho telling the same old story going to as many barbees as i can, my kids really like it here so not had any problem with that but they do miss there family as do we all.Do u think your daugther might go back and stay there then. ? its really expensive in sydney isnt it ? been told that its alot like living in england there ? well hope to speak again soon lea x

hi leanne, thanks for your reply,Hope u do go and visit your sister in uk, i know what u mean its the same with us saving hard.Thats so funny that your from canvey island small world innit Lol!! oh i forgot to mention the sausage in batter thats what i miss to yum!! Sydney is not like the uk, and isnt cheap the city is fantastic expecially at night with all the lights on.

property is expensive here, we rent, its about the same as the uk but the bills seem less expensive do u think ? You mentioned to me that will my daughter come back to oz when we come back from visit in june i hope she does because we get citizenship in august.Thats good that your children have settled in... write back soon from emmax:smile:

Hi Emma,

I am currently at the very beginning of the paperwork for migration to Oz and really concerned about my two girls who are 18 and 16, cause they are both not that bothered about going out to Oz and Im getting really anxious if we get accepted. We had a holiday at Christmas in Perth, which is where we want to go, and a lot of my family are there and it was wonderful. However, still, particularly the 16 year old is determined she is not going! If you dont mind me asking how were your children and did you have any problems. We are from Chelmsford in Essex and husband and me really want to come out there.

Guest Chrissy
Hi Emma,

I am currently at the very beginning of the paperwork for migration to Oz and really concerned about my two girls who are 18 and 16, cause they are both not that bothered about going out to Oz and Im getting really anxious if we get accepted. We had a holiday at Christmas in Perth, which is where we want to go, and a lot of my family are there and it was wonderful. However, still, particularly the 16 year old is determined she is not going! If you dont mind me asking how were your children and did you have any problems. We are from Chelmsford in Essex and husband and me really want to come out there.

Hi Gill. Read your post and can understand what your going through. Ive been in brissie for 8 weeks now, the only advise i can honestly give you is DO NOT SELL your uk house!!! be safe and rent it, we come from hornchurch so not far from you. One thing ive learned, visiting oz for a 2 week holiday is not the same as living here, believe me, good luck .

Hi Gill. Read your post and can understand what your going through. Ive been in brissie for 8 weeks now, the only advise i can honestly give you is DO NOT SELL your uk house!!! be safe and rent it, we come from hornchurch so not far from you. One thing ive learned, visiting oz for a 2 week holiday is not the same as living here, believe me, good luck .

Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the good advice. Yes I think your right I would hope to rent my house here and I think that will give the girls a sense of if it really does not work out in Perth we can come back! and I agree having a holiday is very different from actually living out there and that worries me too, but I know if I dont try it I'll never know. My sister has lived in Perth for 8 years now and she says that you can miss the close contact with people like you do back home. How are getting on in Brisbane ? Ill be interested to know.

Cheers Gill x

Guest Chrissy
Hi Chrissy,

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the good advice. Yes I think your right I would hope to rent my house here and I think that will give the girls a sense of if it really does not work out in Perth we can come back! and I agree having a holiday is very different from actually living out there and that worries me too, but I know if I dont try it I'll never know. My sister has lived in Perth for 8 years now and she says that you can miss the close contact with people like you do back home. How are getting on in Brisbane ? Ill be interested to know.

Cheers Gill x

Gill, ive too lived in perth and found it very isolated, quiet and not for me, ive even got family over in wa but still wouldnt live there, however each to there own. Brisbane is very nice. the city has nice cafes, great shops and very clean. we live in nth lakes which has a good shopping centre (like a mini lakeside) good schools, nice houses and a real nice community feel. I think teenagers from the uk would like it here, i have a 3 year old and she loves it here. We are also near all the nice beaches near the sunshine coast and many places to visit on this east coast. We are renting for 1 year and renting our house at home which i am soooo pleased about. I am struggling with the heat as I am constantly sweating which I hate ! but heh its better than being freezing cold in essex ! even though ive been here for 2 months, i do know that I wont live here forever, however will try for a few years. When you coming over to perth?

Hi Emma,

Hi Gill, Glad you had a lovely holiday in perth and thats where you want to live,yes it will be very hard, expecially for your daughters but just say to them we'll go for a couple of yrs and see how it, goes dont say your going forever that will really put them off! We have said to our kids we are living in oz for 5yrs and maybe go back then and they seemed to agree. my younger child has settled in well now and is very much into sports,my 18yr old found it very hard because of leaving her friends behind, but is more settled now as shes made a couple of friends, but still moans that her social life was better in the uk but making friends takes time and getting into sports is a good way to making friends. my advise to you is dont sell the house and rent it out , that way if it dosent work out you will always have a house to go back to.:spinny:

Thanks Emma for replying and your advice. I think to rent my house here will definately be something I would do. Most people have said that to me.

cheers Gill xx

Guest shell+4

Hi Girls

I am from Basildon and my husband is from Canvey just moved to the sunshine coast from living in Perth for the last 2 and half years just returned from a visit to the uk to show off our newish son to all the family and friends and am now starting to feel very homesick.

hi leanne thanks for your reply, u say your from canvey island, we from southend lol!

We visited queensland last year nearly moved up there really liked it there had a lovely time,

we decided to live in sydney to be closer to my parents who migrated 3 yrs ago,things are much better now than they were last year, i hated it here i just wanted to go back home,we moaned about everything i packed my bags several times and kept crying all the time.All going back to uk in june for a month looking foward to a decent curry and fry up and seeing friends tho. Are u happy here do your children like it here? my daughter is very homesick misses her english friends so much... hope to hear back from u soon from emma x:

Guest Dionne and Rickie

Well hello girls what a small world we also live in Canvey Island and have done for the last 5 years, we are originaly from Dagenham although i know Basildon, Romford, Barking, Chelmsford very well too. We are hoping to get to Sydney soon near Manly still looking at lots of areas eg, Stanhope Gardens, anyway just thought i would say hi to you all and would love to meet up once we arrive.x

Dionne

Guest Tazzypop
hello there, Are there any essex people living on the northern beaches? Married to a west ham fan, with teenage daughter who is eighteen and son age twelve we arrived here august 2007, fortunatley were getting used to it here,because its been so hard and i really feel for those who have just arrived here it takes at least 2 yrs to settle...hope to hear from you thanks emma:unsure:

Hi Emma

We're looking to move to the Northern Beaches from Maldon in Essex Jan 2010 depending on company sale.

I've got 12 and 2 year old girls so it'll be a massive change of life for us all. I've got really mixed feelings about it all at the moment and my biggest fear is being lonely when they're at school/nursery and husband is at work.

Regards

Tara

Guest HayleyW

Hi Emma,

We are not from Essex but my husband is a big West Ham fan, his back in the UK for 10 days at the moment and has got tickets for the weekend which he was very happy about! We are from Bracknell but now live in Castle Hill so would love to meet up. I'm not working at the moment so free most of the time.

No children out here so can't help with friends for your daughter.

Hayley

Guest emrich&max

Hi Guys,

Can't believe how many of you are from Essex, you've all been hiding well. We're from Thundersley Essex near Southend & are living in Merrimac on the gold coast. Hubby not into football at all though so can't really help on that front. Would love to meet other people though, we've been here 6 months & are finding it really difficult to settle, meet & make new friends. We have a 2 year old son & are always up for meeting new people.

Loving it here just feeling a little on the lonely side.

Guest Jennybear

hi, i'm from essex - brentwood! also arrived Aug 07 but we are in adelaide, have 2 kids 20 months and 3 weeks!! are you in sydney?

Hi girls

i lived in Epping for 2 years before buying my little 2 bed flat in Chigwell, got to work via Hainault every day...small world eh?

Guest Guest26110

Hi all, my husband and I are both from Maldon, Essex. In 1991, we lived in Australia for a year, just wanted to know if any of your guys thought Australia was a bit on the backward side, not that thats a bad thing. It all felt very strange to us when we lived there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi im from essex ,been over here since oct,finding it hard 2 make friends,rly miss my old pals & family.Im from upminster Bridge now in Narangba Brisbane North,not far from Northlakes,so if any other essex or brits fanct a coffee let me know.

Thanks lesley.:unsure:.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ClaireandMartin2097

Hi Emma,

Moved to Collaroy from Rochford last September with my Husband and 2 children aged 5 & 18 months. Finding it difficult to meet new people. Really missing family & friends back home.

Where abouts on the Northen Beaches are you?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Claire

Guest thecollinsgang

Hi all , we are from Bicknacre Essex(CHELMSFORD) really small world!! LOVE WEST HAM!!! we are hoping to move to Adelaide, but at the very beginning of the process.we have 3 children 12,11 and 8.They also need a lot of convincing.We now Chigwell and Hainault really well and of course Maldon.Essex people seen to all be moving down under we have all been watching to much wanted down under!!!! Julie x

Guest Chrissy
Hi im from essex ,been over here since oct,finding it hard 2 make friends,rly miss my old pals & family.Im from upminster Bridge now in Narangba Brisbane North,not far from Northlakes,so if any other essex or brits fanct a coffee let me know.

Thanks lesley.:unsure:.

Hi lesley...... im from hornchurch living in North lakes not far from you, I am going though the exact same feelings as you, if you wanna chat and meet up let me know. Chrissy

Guest Anna .s

hi chrissy,

and everyone else that has replied to this thread, what about a meet up. I have to say love it here got afew mates. but you just cant beat the essex,

Archived