Coming back- why so many??

emmaroo

Hi All

Thanks for your replies. It has certainly shown me that although the numbers returning are high it is no comparison to the numbers that leave the UK every day!

I will have to " suck it & see" for myself, and if I find life in Australia is not for me well at least i can say i tried!

Emma

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hi All

Thanks for your replies. It has certainly shown me that although the numbers returning are high it is no comparison to the numbers that leave the UK every day!

I will have to " suck it & see" for myself, and if I find life in Australia is not for me well at least i can say i tried!

Emma

That's all you can do Emma, give it a go ... Good luck

Hi All

Emma

How many people have you spoken to and have said I wished I had done it all them years ago.

Just try to pick the right moment Emma. X

How many people have you spoken to and have said I wished I had done it all them years ago.

Just try to pick the right moment Emma. X

You are so right...I think the not knowing would get me.

And as far as people saying I wish I had done it years ago......if I had a £ for every time I heard it I could pay for my flight!

Emma

xx

Hi all

There was an article in the Melbourne Age yesterday outlining the recession in the UK. Can't disagree with the reporting. There is a danger that we poms are looking for the grass is greener but alternatively we are also looking at our broadest options. This effects of this downturn are predicted to last for many years after Uk gets through the worst of the recession. I wonder how many would be emigrants like us are looking much further ahead? If so then surely we have to do our research and weather the short term problems when we arrive down under. That is going to require money, faith and optimism and that is what is so hard for us to fathom here currently! I think it is brave for anyone to uproot immediate family and stretch extended family ties to go to Oz currently, I hope it will be the right thing for my family but would you want the regrets if you never tried?

Guest treesea
If these figures are to be believed that means about 25% of British migrants leave Aus eventually.

But there is a bit of a problem with those figures.

1) Approx 190,000 migrant visa's are currently issued annually. It's surprising only about 23,000 are UK passport holders.

2) You can count the permanent arrivals but how do you count how many permanent leavers there are. If I were to leave I'd just leave and wouldn't necessarily tell any authorities what my permanent plans were?

Departing Brits figures need to be viewed as a percentage of British born people already in Australia, estimated by the Beeb to be 1.3 million. While the figure of around 5,000-6,000 a year does work out at 25% of the current arrivals, it doesn't then make sense to extrapolate that to say a quarter of all Brits eventually come home. 6,000 as a percentage of 1.3 mill works out to less than 0.5% per annum.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest earlswood
Departing Brits figures need to be viewed as a percentage of British born people already in Australia, estimated by the Beeb to be 1.3 million. While the figure of around 5,000-6,000 a year does work out at 25% of the current arrivals, it doesn't then make sense to extrapolate that to say a quarter of all Brits eventually come home. 6,000 as a percentage of 1.3 mill works out to less than 0.5% per annum.

Yeh but the BBC said 68% returned before 5 years, so what does that do to the statistics?

Guest fatpom

:biglaugh:

You should be a pollie! Its all how you say it I suppose?

If for every 100 arriving 25 will leave then net gain is 75% of arrivals (or net loss 25%). And yes the percentage loss to the 1.3M figure is very small and will continually decrease as the 1.3M number slowly increases over time. This percentage may be relevent to goverment economists?

But what matters to the individual is their percentage chance of success. :smile:

Guest gonnagoforit
Does anyone know how many brits that return to the uk then regret it and go back to oz?

I would say there may have been someone who did that once, but I doubt if it would be a viable statistic.:daydreaming:

In truth, I'd not pay too much attention to the statistics. Just do your analysis with your pros and cons list when deciding whether to move to Oz or not. Go with expectations that it is not going to be easy. Go with determination to succeed. If you doubt your ability to do that, put it on the cons side of your list with a heavy weighting, and, unless you have a few hundred thousand pounds to support yourelf in the short to medium term, stay put in the UK!

Guest TheStyrings

not actually paying any attention to statistics was just wondering. I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that we are doing the right thing in moving to oz. We know what we want in life and am not going to be persuaded otherwise by what other people do or dont do.

Its a personal thing and what is good for one is not always good for another. Its a bit like if you go and see a film or read a book - you will always get a difference of opinion - some people will say best film ive ever seen then you watch it and think " that was rubbish".

I certainly wouldnt let someone elses opinion influence what we do with our life.

Dawn x x x

Guest treesea
Yeh but the BBC said 68% returned before 5 years, so what does that do to the statistics?

Maybe that's just a reflection of how much harder it is to survive in Australia and have a good quality of life than it was 30 or 40 years ago. When my uncle emigrated to Brisbane in the 1950s there were people waiting on the dock offering work, such was the shortage of workers in Australia. Even as recently as the late 70s, early 80s, there seemed to be penty of work. The first time I noticed work getting tight in Australia was in the 1990-92 recession. But even then, by mid 1993, all of that pressure was over. Nowadays, Australia is a place where there isn't enough work to go around. I would think that almost all of the people emigrating to Australia from the UK these days actually had jobs in the UK, so are probably not used to being out of work, or the sheer amount of effort it takes to get a job, especially in a new, unfamiliar, country.

not actually paying any attention to statistics was just wondering. I have no doubt whatsoever in my mind that we are doing the right thing in moving to oz. We know what we want in life and am not going to be persuaded otherwise by what other people do or dont do.

Its a personal thing and what is good for one is not always good for another. Its a bit like if you go and see a film or read a book - you will always get a difference of opinion - some people will say best film ive ever seen then you watch it and think " that was rubbish".

I certainly wouldnt let someone elses opinion influence what we do with our life.

Dawn x x x

I defintely agree with you that the only way to find out if moving to Australia would be a good move is to actually try it for yourselves and see. I don't think Australia will be in a recession as long as Britain, but even so, it probably would be a good idea to get a job there first to go to. It does sound like those arriving without jobs are taking quite a while to find something when they get there.

Guest guest22466

Everyone is different and you have to come to see for yourslef. *****However make sure you come with a strong happy marriage and knowing all about the Hague Convention Laws which can prevent your children returning back home to the UK with you if ONE of you wishes to do so***** Seek legal advise on returning with your children back HOME to the UK BEFORE you decide to come to OZ . Just the best bit of advise I can give you in my experience. Australia is a beautiful country but it is not for everyone due to each others situations.

Dawn x x x

Good for you !

Frankly, I very much doubt that anyone would attempt to influence anyone else's decision re: moving to Oz. As you say, one man's meat is another man's poison.

As well, most people are flat out coping with their own lives and decisions. What happens to others is not their concern. Some try to offer a caution and they offer advice when it's sought. They might detail their own experiences of Oz in order to alert others.

But then .... all those 'Life's Great in Oz' advertisements and 'documentaries' etc. shown in the UK ... are people 'influenced' by those ?

So, basically, it's a case of people choosing what they want to be influenced by, isn't it ?

Hi Emma

High numbers?

Compared to the numbers that move over to Oz, the amount of families who return to their homeland are a miniscule minority, litterally a drop in the ocean!

Chris

Last year, 207,000 British citizens - one every three minutes - left the country while 510,000 foreigners arrived to stay for a year or more.

The British made up more than half of the 400,000 moving abroad - yet only 14 per cent of immigrants were UK nationals coming home.

The figures do not include hundreds of thousands of east Europeans who have come to work in Britain in the past two years.

This is because most are coming for less than 12 months and do not show up on the statistics.

Guest ABCDiamond

2) You can count the permanent arrivals but how do you count how many permanent leavers there are. If I were to leave I'd just leave and wouldn't necessarily tell any authorities what my permanent plans were?

But you should do, as they do ask that question on the form as you leave.

Some actual recorded stats, based on what people put on the forms:

2007/2008 Latest figures show:

• 23,236 Total settler Arrivals

6,047 Total Permanent Departures

Total 26% returned at some point in their lives.

Of that 26% (6,047) that left in 2007/2008

1,099 left within the first two years. (or 4.73% of arrivals)

1,012 stayed for between 3 and 5 years (or 4.36% of arrivals)

3,877 had stayed for 5 or more years (or 16.69% of arrivals)

That leaves 74.23% who don't leave or never declare that they are leaving permanently.....

Figures for 2002/2003 and 2006/2007 that I have also done show very similar %'s.

Obviously these figures are not exact, after all I am still included in the number that left permanently ! Yet I am back in Australia, after changing my mind :)

I think that life is life at the end of the day.

What I mean is that is that most of us get us, have breakfast, go to work, come home, have tea.

You can do that anywhere in the world.

I am thinking of going back after 8 years. I have tried 2 different locations in NSW and am now in Melbourne and it's not the places I dislike.

I struggle missing out on my families lives and watching my brothers children grow up, you can't replace those things.

You are isolated, it takes a while to make friends, but you still have no extended family here.

On Birthdays, at Christmas, on Mothers and fathers day and when people get sick, you can't just get together.

I also miss the amazing choices we have in the Uk for everything, as there are less people living here, there is less choice in supermarket companies, clothes (which aren't great quality unless you spend a lot) and so on.

This is entirley because oz does not have the population that the Uk has and so far less competition for companies.

This also generally means that oz gets things after over countries, i.e. set top boxes, Apple I phone. Foxtel is really the only cable company and so charge a fortune - again, this is because there is no competition.

You also have to live near a city because of this. The reason being is that there aren't the jobs in the suburbs, so you are forced to live near a city. Again, this is because of lack of population and infastructure, plus the fact oz is a young country.

The other thing is that oz is miles from any where, in the UK you can visit so many other countries easily and quickly and cheaply.

I think parts of oz are amazingly beautiful but the hole in the o-zone layer and risk of skin cancer is also a negative factor, it's not like living in Spain or some where is europe, the sun there won't kill you (well not straight away anyway) lol

Just a few thoughts.........please don't shoot me down for being honest, I get sick of people just coming on here to bitch at each other and not help each other.

That's what Australia has in it's favour, nice, friendly, laid back people :idea:

Guest ABCDiamond

I think parts of oz are amazingly beautiful but the hole in the o-zone layer and risk of skin cancer is also a negative factor, it's not like living in Spain or some where is europe, the sun there won't kill you (well not straight away anyway) lol

I would suggest checking out Skin Cancer at: Cancer Research UK : Skin cancer overview

A quote from that site is:

Over 2,300 people die from skin cancer each year in the UK

In fact, there are more skin cancer deaths in the UK than in Australia, even though Australia has more cases of the disease.

The European sun does kill, and it actually kills more in Britain than many people realise.

One good thing about Australia is the insistance on getting skin checks, which allows time to get treated, and therefore not die from it.

I also think that when people feel that Australia is miles from anywhere, they should consider what they are really wanting.

They actually mean that it is miles from Europe, and consciously or unconsciously, they forget that it is actually closer to many countries in Oceania and Asia.

Guest proud2beaussie

Actually the prices charged by Foxtel are very competitive,for example the basic subscripton plus sport and all three packages costs $81.00 ($40.00 + $25.00 for 3 packages + $16.00 sport)

$81.00 is roughly £37.00,in the UK £37.00 gets you 3 entertainment packs plus sky sports,so pretty competitive I would say,of course there are cheaper options in the UK like Virgin Media but then you have to have Virgin line and that's £11.00 to start,so I don't think there is that much difference really in pay tv prices.

As for set top boxes and I phones well I had an I phone before they were available in the UK and set top boxes have been available for years in Australia.

The quality of clothes in Australia is heaps better than the Uk if the suit I bought at Debenhams in the Uk last year is any indication,it is falling apart after being worn at three weddings this year.

Again,it's generalisations which bring down what was a reasonably balanced post,shame really.

Guest Furball

Although I agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that the number quoted from the Cancer Research site is the total number of deaths.

Australia has a population of 21 million (UN, 2008), the UK a population of apprx 61 million (NSO, figs for mid 2007), therefore for Australia to have fewer deaths than the UK is not unexpected as there is only a third as many potential victims no matter what the sun issues. In fact ACT (The Cancer Council ACT - Skin Cancer in Australia) says over 1600 Aussies die of skin cancer per year so a little (seriously basic) analysis shows that your probability of death by skin cancer in Aus actually higher than in the UK (Aus 7.62 deaths /100,000 pop'n, UK 3.77 deaths /100,000 pop'n)- and thats even given that their medical staff take "funny moles" seriously - here you're lucky if you don't get laughed at (my personal experience).

Anyway... boring stats over (I work with stats, numbers, databases and spreadsheets day in day out - I'm afraid I have an intense dislike of statements like that from Cancer Research which, while well meaning, without context are actually very misleading... )

BTW - the ACT link gives pics of what to look for too - it's useful.

Actually the prices charged by Foxtel are very competitive,for example the basic subscripton plus sport and all three packages costs $81.00 ($40.00 + $25.00 for 3 packages + $16.00 sport)

$81.00 is roughly £37.00,in the UK £37.00 gets you 3 entertainment packs plus sky sports,so pretty competitive I would say,of course there are cheaper options in the UK like Virgin Media but then you have to have Virgin line and that's £11.00 to start,so I don't think there is that much difference really in pay tv prices.

As for set top boxes and I phones well I had an I phone before they were available in the UK and set top boxes have been available for years in Australia.

The quality of clothes in Australia is heaps better than the Uk if the suit I bought at Debenhams in the Uk last year is any indication,it is falling apart after being worn at three weddings this year.

Again,it's generalisations which bring down what was a reasonably balanced post,shame really.

agree with most except australian clothes been better made,for one the majority is made in indonesia,and kmart is nowhere as good as next for example.

Guest ABCDiamond
Although I agree with the sentiment, it should be noted that the number quoted from the Cancer Research site is the total number of deaths.

Australia has a population of 21 million (UN, 2008), the UK a population of apprx 61 million (NSO, figs for mid 2007), therefore for Australia to have fewer deaths than the UK is not unexpected as there is only a third as many potential victims no matter what the sun issues. In fact ACT (The Cancer Council ACT - Skin Cancer in Australia) says over 1600 Aussies die of skin cancer per year so a little (seriously basic) analysis shows that your probability of death by skin cancer in Aus actually higher than in the UK (Aus 7.62 deaths /100,000 pop'n, UK 3.77 deaths /100,000 pop'n)- and thats even given that their medical staff take "funny moles" seriously - here you're lucky if you don't get laughed at (my personal experience).

Anyway... boring stats over (I work with stats, numbers, databases and spreadsheets day in day out - I'm afraid I have an intense dislike of statements like that from Cancer Research which, while well meaning, without context are actually very misleading... )

BTW - the ACT link gives pics of what to look for too - it's useful.

I agree with you on those figures, but I was trying to highlight that the comment "that the European Sun won't kill" is not quite accurate ;)

Given that we are only twice as likely to get Skin Cancer and die, isn't as bad as some may have thought.

The doctors here do take "funny moles" VERY seriously, which is a very good thing, as the incidence of Skin Cancer is so much higher in Australia than it is in the UK.

The figures quoted from the Cancer council talk about:

Australia = 380,000 reported cases

UK = 72,000 reported cases

With numbers like that, and with the population difference, the likelyhood of getting a cancerous spot is about 15 times as much as it would be in the UK, which is quite high compared to the death rate only being twice as much.

But as the Australians tend to do a cancer check every year, they are able to keep those deaths down, by preventative treatment.

If the UK doctors did the same checks, the UK deaths could be trimmed from 2,300 down to just a few hundred.

Guest Furball

Mm. It's kind of scary - I'm olive skinned (well, sallow, but olive sounds nicer :) ) - have lots of moles and have always been happy in the sun. I was worried about one a few years ago and went to the doctor and literally got laughed at for being a hypochondriac!! Some of them just don't seem to get it :(

The OH says in Q'land I should go and be inspected by someone with a UV light every year? Apparently you strip to your underwear and they inspect you all over? As a somewhat shy brit I find this a terribly unappealing prospect but not nearly as bad as the alternative... is that a fairly accurate description of the process though?

Guest ABCDiamond
is that a fairly accurate description of the process though?

It is all very techical these days, this is a picture of a typical unit used:

DG_combi.gif

Your pictures are scanned to computer and compared on your next visit. That way they can easily see any changes to your moles.

Most people have these checks done by bulk billing doctors = no payment needed :)

Archived