Coming back- why so many??

emmaroo

Houseprices , for one.

It's twice as cheap to live in UK as it is in Australia.

sorry but rubbish, i have been here over a month bought a 1000 dollar bike, saved over a 1000, gone out every weekend, eating well renting a property, paying bills, on 65k in manly!!! yes its expensive but not twice, i struggled to live in the uk,

i landed with 480 dollars in my pocket thats all!!!

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sorry but rubbish, i have been here over a month bought a 1000 dollar bike, saved over a 1000, gone out every weekend, eating well renting a property, paying bills, on 65k in manly!!! yes its expensive but not twice, i struggled to live in the uk,

i landed with 480 dollars in my pocket thats all!!!

so you failed to make the grade in uk then and had to come to australia to make it work?

of course not, aus suited you better, why cant people accept the uk makes some people very happy regardless of money and material things than aus, and vice versa.

this thread becoming the norm uk / oz bash again. get over it, suck it up and enjoy where you are :arghh:

Guest usernamecharlotte
That makes two of us!!!

But apparantly the research in the Telegraph article was based on what was said on this forum, nothing to do with the immigration dept data.

so you failed to make the grade in uk then and had to come to australia to make it work?

of course not, aus suited you better, why cant people accept the uk makes some people very happy regardless of money and material things than aus, and vice versa.

this thread becoming the norm uk / oz bash again. get over it, suck it up and enjoy where you are :arghh:

I love the uk, I don't diss it at all but I struggled, I was earning 25k my wife 26k our mortgage sucked up over half our monthly income , yes the australian life does suit me, my wife and kids so we're very lucky in that respect, the uk is a fantastically cultured place full of history and most important of all my roots and family why would I disrespect the place I'm from,

Its just not as expensive as all the sacre mongers say

Thanks and the two most important 'facts' are:

New South Wales is still the most popular state to come to - yah boo, eat **** Sandgropers and Banana Benders - quality always comes out first in the end.

One third of people who came from the UK went back (and probably half of those will change their minds and come to OZ again!)

I do SO like it when the official stats can be used to confirm my prejudices!

Thanks and the two most important 'facts' are:

New South Wales is still the most popular state to come to - yah boo, eat **** Sandgropers and Banana Benders - quality always comes out first in the end.

One third of people who came from the UK went back (and probably half of those will change their minds and come to OZ again!)

I do SO like it when the official stats can be used to confirm my prejudices!

stats can be seen in any perspective the person wants to see em in this thread is an unwinnable debate, who are banana benders tho?? :err:

OH! it is expensive in aus or perth where i am :tongue:

petrol cheaper here at 1,50 per litre but my pals live in bertram i am in kingsley, same as driving portsmouth -bournemouth for a chat and bbq, lots more fuel used than popping round corner for chat with pals in uk. my aussie pals back from uk cannot believe how cheap stuff is there and the much larger choice of foodstuffs in supermarkets, check the cost of cars too. rmember here in wa the economy boosted by the mines, what about retail, textiles etc,

the debate can go on and on and on and on, dont take anyting i say personally either, i here in perth because i can be, my money in uk, with my 2 diverse skills honed and earned in the uk, i could be mortgage free with extra house and cars that i love in uk, would i be better off there? dunno, wealthier yes, but material things and endless blue skies and summers does not equate to happiness and success, i like and dislike parts of both countries, . at the moment with the humidity i could just do with running out of the door and plunginging into 3ft of good english snow

i having a lie down now, with a cuppa, english breakfast, not australian breakfast, any debates on that!! :laugh:

But apparantly the research in the Telegraph article was based on what was said on this forum, nothing to do with the immigration dept data.

Yup the research was based on one thread on this forum (wide sampling huh) but someone else posted immigration figures which are fluid at best - people dont always know what they are going to end up doing, especially those on gap years I suggest (DS never indicated his intention to leave permanently I am sure and now when he visits Aus he visits as a tourist on a holiday so technically has never figured in the 'leaving forever' stats)

I guess the best thing to come out of this is that it is becoming recognized that migration, even between first world countries, has its complications and that one place is no utopia ahead of all the others. For me, too, the knowledge that I am not alone in not liking the place that others tout as paradise, has been enlightening and has enabled me to stay far more sane than if I thought I was the odd man out. If people realize that there may be some feelings which overwhelm them in paradise and make their lives misery then they may be forearmed with either escape plans or strategies for coping.

Yup the research was based on one thread on this forum (wide sampling huh) but someone else posted immigration figures which are fluid at best - people dont always know what they are going to end up doing, especially those on gap years I suggest (DS never indicated his intention to leave permanently I am sure and now when he visits Aus he visits as a tourist on a holiday so technically has never figured in the 'leaving forever' stats)

I guess the best thing to come out of this is that it is becoming recognized that migration, even between first world countries, has its complications and that one place is no utopia ahed of all the others. For me, too, the knowledge that I am not alone in not liking the place that others tout as paradise, has been enlightening and has enabled me to stay far more sane than if I thought I was the odd man out. If people realize that there may be some feelings which overwhelm them in paradise and make their lives misery then they may be forearmed with either escape plans or strategies for coping.

Hi Quoll,

Glad to see you have finally made it back home, and hope you settle well after many years away.

I agree about what you said and feeling like the odd one out, but after reading folks experiences it is also good to know I am not alone, also if it gets too much the help is there to talk to someone arranged through a doctor.

Are you looking forward to Winter and wrapping up?

Best of luck.

Liz:wub:

Hi Quoll,

Glad to see you have finally made it back home, and hope you settle well after many years away.

I agree about what you said and feeling like the odd one out, but after reading folks experiences it is also good to know I am not alone, also if it gets too much the help is there to talk to someone arranged through a doctor.

Are you looking forward to Winter and wrapping up?

Best of luck.

Liz:wub:

Sure am. This past couple of months has been absolutely fabulous where I have been. We do have rain this morning but it looks to be clearing up. I cant believe the number of glorious blue sky days we have had. 10 days ago my daughter in law and the girls and I went for lunch - outside in the sunshine, in our t shirts and it was amazing (end Sept) - no flies either which was a real bonus!

My DH has packed some of my winter stuff in the cartons but they probably wont arrive until Feb/March so I might have to do some shopping!!! The DH arrives tomorrow so things will get better from there!!!!

Guest painter
I think the figures have always hovered around the 25 - 30% mark. It may be increasing now as people are making decisions earlier about whether they stay or go. In the olden days, so many stayed because they didnt have the chance to return and got beyond that financial point of no return quite quickly. I think folk are being more assertive in their decision making these days and recognizing that if it aint working then you can change it and they get on with it pretty quickly. The recession certainly isnt helping and people are realising that if things are going to be stressful it is far more comfortable to be stressed when you know you have a decent support network around you. Being isolated and impoverished sux!

I know of many older Australians who emigrated as L10 poms who would go back if they could but now most have the odd child or grandchildren here and so dont feel that they can go home. I have met a number of older people, especially women, who feel like they live in limbo but have stuck it out for their kids - they have not been "happy" here but have survived. For many, their kids have headed off elsewhere anyway and when you get older it just isnt practical to be following your kids all over the world.

I dont think there is essentially anything brave about living in another country - it's just taking life's opportunities as they crop up really. However I suspect that most folk could be equally happy in their home countries if they put as much time and energy into the process as they do about the quest to follow some "dream" to the other side of the world.

Have to agree.I've just finished painting a house for a retired englishwoman whose husband passed away earlier this year.While she obviously doesn't represent ALL older migrants to Oz she actually told me she was indeed in 'limbo' regarding staying or going back. She has a son here in Melbourne and the other in England so the pull seemed to be friends rather than rellies.I offrered what advice I could but as it's a major decsion,well,at the end of the day it's up to her. I did however suggest that a short holiday back there would give a better indication of whether a permanent move was a good idea,compared to trying to decide from the other side of the world.So interesting and pleasing with so much emphasis these days on careers,economics and standards of living that so many people still obviously rate happiness so highly.:jiggy:

my o/h aunt has been perth near 40yrs and is returning to the uk in jan, she went back for a few weeks beginning of year and though her area demolished she happy to return now, she likes to moan about everthing aussie lol, but it cant have been that bad if she stay near 40yrs. but she happy to go back now. me i am happy in perth at the moment ut know i can go back anytime, uk not locked me out and i can be back there this time tomorrow should i need to be,

stats can be seen in any perspective the person wants to see em in this thread is an unwinnable debate, who are banana benders tho?? :err:

Queenslanders!

As far as statistics go, you can only work with what is supplied, and if you cannot trust the Government stats, who can you trust?

Before reading those Immigration Dept stats, I honestly thought that most British migrants DID go to WA and QLD, rather than NSW & VIC.

I see on today's posts, they are up to over 11,000 replies on just three topics, all concerned with the migration process to Australia.

Guest Guest16631

.........at the end of the day............facts are stubborn things..........but statistics are more pliable............

how many people stay here or go home who have nothing to do with pio, and those that return mostly would not bother with this site once back so the true reality is we dont have any idea and can onlytry and guess, i still dont understand why people are so concerned with the numbers if they are happy in uk, or oz, live your life why be troubled by others opinions if you are happy. i just dont get why if some one does not enjoy being somewhere you do there is a problem far too late on a sat eve to have these brain numbing thoughts

Think everyone has to just do plenty of research and do what feels right for them, none of us have a crystal ball no matter how much we would like one?

You must have felt the same at one point or you would not have gone out there, why discourage others from having the adventure you had even if your dreams didn't come true?

I don't think that people are actively discouraging others. It would be different if people posted negative things on the Welcome forum, but this is the MBTTUK. It always seems that those making the move to Oz look on this MBTTUK to see why people move back and then get annoyed if Australia is portrayed in any sort of negative light.

Yes Oz has lovely beaches and sunshine but I firmly believe that the trade off is huge and until you've ived it you cannot even begin to comprehend it.

People have to make up their own minds of course but people who have been through it should be allowed to air their views in this part of the forum.

It always seems that those making the move to Oz look on this MBTTUK to see why people move back and then get annoyed if Australia is portrayed in any sort of negative light.

Personally, I only get annoyed by some of the sweeping genelisations that seem to be made.

Guest guest57588

It always seems that those making the move to Oz look on this MBTTUK to see why people move back and then get annoyed if Australia is portrayed in any sort of negative light.

That's very true I think. MBTTUK completes the picture so to speak. It's presence on the site acknowledges that Australia doesn't work out for everyone and enables returnees to compare notes. If you're embarking upon the big move from the UK then it's certainly a very useful read but it's important to remember that other peoples' experiences won't necessarily be your own. There's really no need to be affronted just because it didn't work out for others and they chose to share their experiences.

I sometimes think that there is less tolerance for people posting on MBTTUK than on any of the other forums. The genuine desire to help and support people working through the minefield of emigration is evident elsewhere on PIO, and people are rarely challenged about their reasons for making the initial move to Australia. But it seems (to me anyway) that posters returning to the UK have to justify themselves constantly, and that is a shame as there is no right or wrong when it comes to how people feel.

I think most of the members sympathise with those who find living and emigrating difficult however I guess they do not give support as much as the people are returning to their home country and its perceived they know everything anyway. Whereas when people are migrating they are coming to the unknown.

As its a forum for migration obviously most are going to be on those forums.

I sometimes think that there is less tolerance for people posting on MBTTUK than on any of the other forums. The genuine desire to help and support people working through the minefield of emigration is evident elsewhere on PIO, and people are rarely challenged about their reasons for making the initial move to Australia. But it seems (to me anyway) that posters returning to the UK have to justify themselves constantly, and that is a shame as there is no right or wrong when it comes to how people feel.

Maybe because there is so much more emotion in MBTTUK, than fact. The other forums people are asking for factual advice. Whereas MBTTUK seems to focus more on "I hate Australia because"...

Guest treesea
I think most of the members sympathise with those who find living and emigrating difficult however I guess they do not give support as much as the people are returning to their home country and its perceived they know everything anyway. Whereas when people are migrating they are coming to the unknown.

As its a forum for migration obviously most are going to be on those forums.

Sometimes coming back can be stepping into the unknown as well. When I came back I hadn't lived in the UK for nearly 20 years (and even then that was only a temporary tryout) and before that since the 60s/70s (ping ponging with the parents!) I can tell you now (I'm from West London) if London had been the only viable place to live work wise, despite having my land beneath my feet and all that this means to me, despite being so glad to be home, I'm not sure if we would still be living here. I don't think my OH (and I certainly wasn't) were ready for the drop in our living standards that living in London would have meant.

Guest guest57588

[QUOTE=Peach;1236020]Maybe because there is so much more emotion in MBTTUK, than fact. The other forums people are asking for factual advice. Whereas MBTTUK seems to focus more on "I hate Australia because"...

I'm not sure that there's so much more emotion than fact on MBTTUK, but I do agree that it certainly stirs up emotions like no other forum. I think for posters who are affronted by unflattering views on Australia it's probably best avoided.

[QUOTE=Peach;1236020]Maybe because there is so much more emotion in MBTTUK, than fact. The other forums people are asking for factual advice. Whereas MBTTUK seems to focus more on "I hate Australia because"...

I'm not sure that there's so much more emotion than fact on MBTTUK, but I do agree that it certainly stirs up emotions like no other forum. I think for posters who are affronted by unflattering views on Australia it's probably best avoided.

It's not that people are affronted by negative views of Australia so much as they see a thread like this one which says 'coming back - why so many?' implying that more and more people are going home. If that is true then perhaps other people who are in the process of emigrating will start to worry that they are making the wrong decision.

There's nothing wrong with going back home - I had a wonderful twelve year stint.

The MBTUK part of the forum was added because as PIO became bigger the number of people who arrived in Aus and then returned home also increased. At the start when I joined there were very few who were actually in Aus that were members of the forum. you think how hard the decision to migrate is ... the one to return home is equally as hard for some even more so.

Peoples reasons for going home are personal - if they don't fit into how we view things - it doesn't make them wrong. We all have to make decisions with the idea of what is best for us and our families ... no one else.

The thoughts behind MBTUK were to allow those people thinking about returning/or having decided to return to discuss it and to gain support from people in a similar position. All too often these threads are hijacked and turned into a UK V Aus debate. That premise still remains, so if you aren't intending to return to the UK or are unable to support those that are then my suggestion is give this section of the forum a miss.

Archived