Who's going to the Leeds Expo?

Guest Donrobo

Guest Donrobo

Just wanted to know if anyone is going to the Leeds expo at the end of the month. It would be great to know off anyone else if they have found these expos useful?:chatterbox:

Just wanted to know if anyone is going to the Leeds expo at the end of the month. It would be great to know off anyone else if they have found these expos useful?:chatterbox:

Hi Donrobo,

Not going to the leeds expo, but i went to the Liverpool one. Very useful if you go in there with a purpose. We just went to the Aus stands and chatted to a few agents and to people representing different states. They give you penty of literature for you to read through, and if you arrange for the to contact you to discuss, they will.. There is everything you need to know about the entire process there, from exchanging money, openning a bank account and to shipping your belongings...

Enjoy

Guest Mylady's O/H
Hi Donrobo,

Not going to the leeds expo, but i went to the Liverpool one. Very useful if you go in there with a purpose. We just went to the Aus stands and chatted to a few agents and to people representing different states. They give you penty of literature for you to read through, and if you arrange for the to contact you to discuss, they will.. There is everything you need to know about the entire process there, from exchanging money, openning a bank account and to shipping your belongings...

Enjoy

Hi

To be honest most people including myself have been very dissapointed with the Expos.Personally I think its a waste of time and money.They advertise prospective Employers which are nowhere to be found on the day.There is nothing they can tell you that isn't already covered here on PIO.

Cheers

Guest NurseFlo

I've got tickets for the Leeds expo, but have since read that they aren't up to much (was wanting to see if OH could get some job contacts) so am hoping if I go armed with info I already have on things like personal effects shipping and banking I can maybe talk to someone who can do us some deals.... Its a day out. Would only spend the day on the internet reading the PIO forums anyway, so might do me good to interact with real live people. Not expecting much out of it other than lots of leaflets.

Guest Donrobo

I feel quite dissapointed now. I was hoping to get more information on jobs etc. Well i suppose it is a weekend away from home!!

Guest whitleybairn
I feel quite dissapointed now. I was hoping to get more information on jobs etc. Well i suppose it is a weekend away from home!!

Don't be too disheartened, good things do happen at these events. I went to the Leeds Expo in October...got interviewed for a job there and then...and got offered a job on the spot. Going on a permanent sponsored visa and doing all the red tape stuff now and hopefully leaving to go to Oz in July...

Cheers,

Scott.

Guest Donrobo

Hi Scott, what is it that you do. my oh is an electrician who has been off tools for 2 years and an engineering teamleader .The problem we have is that he hasnt had enough experience to go over as supervisor and cant go as an electrician as he has been off the tools for 2 years

Guest whitleybairn

I work in the pharmaceutical business at the moment - I'm a scientist. However, will be changing careers in Oz, but still in the scientific and technical field and will be working for and agency of the government. I've been very lucky as I have wanted out of my industry for several years now.

Sorry, I'm not much help with trades and skills and such-like. There are loads of clued-up people in this forum about it, though. I'm not sure who's exhibiting this time around, but I do remember a few agencies for tradespersons (Silver Trowel, sticks in my mind), so it will be worthwhile speaking to them if they are there this time - if not I would try and contact them anyway through their website.

Make sure you speak to the state governments and the department of immigration when you are at the expo as they will point you in the right direction.

I can recommend the expos as a great source of info, though. Yes, you will walk away with tons of leaflets and freebies and you can find pretty much all the info you need in this forum, but if you are just at the beginning of the path to move to Oz, it's handy to have government people and agencies to speak to about your options, rather than haphazardly searching threads here.

When I went to the expo in October, I was at the NZ one the previous week and, yes, I was a little disappointed. So much so, I almost didn't bother with the Oz one. Best £15 quid I ever spent.

Good luck, whatever you do.

I've just booked my tickets for the Leeds Expo!!! I'm hoping to find out lots of information as I'm just getting bamboozled by it all at the moment.

Archived