New to Mackay and looking for friends!!!!!!

Guest GaryandKirst

Guest GaryandKirst

Hi .....

Our names are Gary and Kirsteen (both 34) ..... we moved to Mackay about 7 weeks ago as on a 457 visa - Gary is a Hydraulic Engineer ....

We are enjoying our time here ...but would really like to have some mates again ... Gary's especially suffering not having a drinking buddy !!!!!

We have a little one on the way ..... 3 weeks and counting ... our first !!!!! Oh and our pet dog Megan has also emigrated with us !!!!

If there is anyone out there it would be great to hear from you so that we can stop feeling like 'Billy no Mates' :biglaugh: !!!

Equally if there is anyone shortly or thinking about coming over to Mackay it would be good to chat .....

Gary and Kirst x

Hi Gary & Kirsty,

We have been considering Mackay - Darren works in construction, but has excavator experience of 20+ years so was thinking about trying the mines for our first couple of years to recoup some of the money we have spent. We have recently sold our house - should complete next week, and so hope to be moving to Aus when kids finish school in July.

How are you finding Mackay? If we do wind up there then Gary will have a drinking buddy, that is one of Darrens priorities!! And Megan (my Meg is a girl not a dog!) and me would love to help out with a new baby. Your Meg will have a pal too, we are bringing our Springer Spaniel Hurley.

Darren & Sharon

• 3 months later...
Guest littleskippy

Hey Gary and Kirst

Hope you are settling into mackay ok. it's not a bad little town, lol. I'm new to this site and was just curious to see how many on here were in Mackay. I moved here in March 08 to be with my Aussie partner, Shane. We are having a few dilemmas with my visa application at the mo, but i won't bore you with the details right now, lol. I'm currently 25 weeks pregnant, and we can't wait for our little girl to arrive!! She will be our first. Anyway, I just thought I'd say hi, and see how you are settling in. If you fancy a chat, just message me.

Take care,

Clare and Shane x

• 2 months later...
Hi .....

Our names are Gary and Kirsteen (both 34) ..... we moved to Mackay about 7 weeks ago as on a 457 visa - Gary is a Hydraulic Engineer ....

We are enjoying our time here ...but would really like to have some mates again ... Gary's especially suffering not having a drinking buddy !!!!!

We have a little one on the way ..... 3 weeks and counting ... our first !!!!! Oh and our pet dog Megan has also emigrated with us !!!!

If there is anyone out there it would be great to hear from you so that we can stop feeling like 'Billy no Mates' :biglaugh: !!!

Equally if there is anyone shortly or thinking about coming over to Mackay it would be good to chat .....

Gary and Kirst x

Just wondered how you guys were getting on out there now ?? my wife and I thinking on trying to get out there next year ..... i work in hydraulics too :biggrin:

Just wondered how you guys were getting on out there now ?? my wife and I thinking on trying to get out there next year ..... i work in hydraulics too :biggrin:

G'day mate, any more info that you need regarding accom, etc.?

Cheers, Bobj.

• 1 month later...
Guest ctrandafir

Hiya, just wondered how you guys are all finding life in Mackay now? We have just got our visa and are planning on Mackay in a few months as I have family there and my husband is going to try for the mines. I have a wee boy just over 1 so I do worry that we're going so far from family although have wanted to emigrate for so long. Would be great to hear how Mackay is and how you're getting on. Cheers!!

Guest ctrandafir

So i hear. My uncle works in the mines out that way and was saying the same thing though you hear so many mixed reports that you wonder. Cheers!

If you want mine details straight from the horses mouth PM me as I design and build them and can tell you exactly what stage of progression all the "new" ones are at (pre-feasibility mainly, one of the largest ones they've all been crowing about recently was first investigated back in 1984 and still hasn't gotten through EPA approval, they don't move fast).

Be careful about coming over with a vague expectation that a major miner will take you on; there's a hell of a lot of additional bits of paperwork you need, some of which you can't get without being on site but they won't let you on site without them. I posted about that elsewhere recently.

You might have more luck going with a contractor mob like Macmahon or Goldings (actually, they've both lost a lot of major contracts recently, I can't think who the other major players are right now as there's been a fair bit of re-organisation out west following the downturn).

Edit: Leightons/Thiess, Downer and United Group are contract miners who provide operators, they're also into the civvie stuff in town

Also bear in mind that you'll be away from your family for at least 50% of the time; at best you'll get a 3/1/3/5 or a 4/4 roster, at worst you'll end up with a 10/4.

However, it's not all doom and gloom, there's vacancies in town for skilled operators and a rather large amount of construction happening (Mackay has one of the more affluent councils thanks to the higher wages paid locally). Things like housing are significantly more expensive than say, in a similar sized town in NSW but they are built to much higher standards due to cyclone regulations.

I hope I haven't put you off; I'm all for people giving the regional areas a go so thanks for considering the region, which is afterall a great place to live. But I see an awful lot of people with some utterly heartbreaking tales giving up their lives elsewhere to "try and get into the mining industry". Research it well before you make it your main aim and have a back-up plan.

Let Bobj or me know if we can be any help to you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest liza5kids

Hi there hope you are settling in well we moved from perth to mackay as my hubbys works asked him to transfer over here as the mines are picking up a lot faster here than in wa we moved to perth from uk in 2008 but we are extremely happy living here in mackay we are also trying to find new friends in the area hubby is also missing a fishing and drinking partner if interested pm me to arrange something your more than welcome to come over for a barbie thanx liza x

• 1 year later...
Guest rachel6782

hi gary and kirsteen we have just got our visas and will be in macky by end of july we would love to know how you are finding it in mackay as we dont know much about it thanks rachel

• 1 month later...
Guest Slainte
Hi .....

Gary and Kirst x

I know your post is over 2 years old but I am moving to Mackay at the end of the month so if your hubby (I am a 32 year old Irish guy) still needs a drinking buddy, count me in! :)

Archived