Fresh off the boat - well sort of

Guest AmandaJ

Guest AmandaJ

Hi there hope everyone is having a good day.

Well finally my dream of living in Australia has happened - but its not what I expected. I have now been here 6 months and I still don't know anyone! Its kinda sad really as I am quite an outgoing sorta gal.....I keep thinking maybe its the accent - you know lost in translation - I say flip flop when it should be thong and hey presto the conversation has both parties stumped :wacko:

So I am living in NSW post code 2157 and would really enjoy to meet some good down to earth friends....... so there I put it out there - I never actually thought it would be so hard to make friends

Anyways let me know if anyone is interested in hooking up for coffee and chats and basically hang out - I can be fun - well I think so; anyways I promise I am not a weirdo and not a murderer :goofy:......mmmmm.... I suppose talk like that would put you off????? but really I am not.

Guest proud2beaussie

Hi Amanda,

Firstly welcome to PomsInOz-what's taken you so long to find us ! lol.

Why not start your own thread suggesting a coffee morning in an area close to you,we have members everywhere !

Welcome again,and let's hope you find some new friends soon hey !

Cheers

N'OZ

Guest Little Stalky
Hi there hope everyone is having a good day.

Well finally my dream of living in Australia has happened - but its not what I expected. I have now been here 6 months and I still don't know anyone! Its kinda sad really as I am quite an outgoing sorta gal.....I keep thinking maybe its the accent - you know lost in translation - I say flip flop when it should be thong and hey presto the conversation has both parties stumped

So I am living in NSW post code 2157 and would really enjoy to meet some good down to earth friends....... so there I put it out there - I never actually thought it would be so hard to make friends

Anyways let me know if anyone is interested in hooking up for coffee and chats and basically hang out - I can be fun - well I think so; anyways I promise I am not a weirdo and not a murderer ......mmmmm.... I suppose talk like that would put you off????? but really I am not.

Hi,

I've also been here 6 months and also haven't met any friends :no: I'm in NSW but 2529 and have a feeling that with the size of this country that I might be too far away. Well, if you're ever in the area :wink: Good luck with the friend finding

Hi I have been here 5 months and yes I also don't have any friends that live close. I live in NSW 2118 I think you live Parramatta area so that's not too far from me so we should meet up for a chat and coffee and maybe a friendship will grow lol.

Let me know if you'd like to meet up.

Ady xxx ( Just thought you might like to know I am a lady. People think I'm a man cause of my name lol):laugh:

Guest AmandaJ

Ady, sounds like a great plan. I am living near to Castle Hill. I tried to see if I can pm you my mobile number but I dont have permission to do that function yet :shocked:

I will send you an email - should be easy enough to send you a mail right and I can send you my numbers etc.

PS my nickname for years was Andy and yes I know about getting gender mixed up it used to happen to me all the time

Guest cazbeckham

Well it must be NSW where no one makes friends.

Even my local post office staff refer to me by my first name already and only been here 7 months.

You really have to put yourself out to make friends here, they don't come knocking on your door.

In our local Woolworth there is a board where you can advertise anything for sale etc (within reason of course) so why not stick a card up there asking people to meet you in a local coffee shop, worth a try.

We have met most of our neighbours just by knocking on their doors and introducing ourselves and they are a great bunch here. One neighbour even knocked on our door the other afternoon to apologise in case we heard a lot of noise that night, his partners Son was in for a rollocking and he said there would be a slanging match so don't phone the police thinking its a domestic.

Well how good is that of a neighbour to let you know............. now that wouldn't happen in the UK for sure.

How about joining some clubs like RSL clubs (booze is cheap) and they have so many events going on in the clubs. Ask someone if they mind you joining their table, after all they can always say No but you don't know till you ask.

Good luck with making friends and I am sure you will and welcome to PIO

Guest bernie

Hi just wanted to say, I know how it feels!! You are not alone, Moved up to Sunshine Coast in March and as a family we are getting a bit sick of eachother's company being our only company!! I am like you, try to be friendly etc etc but everytime we open our mouth everyone says "how long you here for"!! This happens almost everyday!! Anyway, not near to you but hope something happens fast, perhaps summer it's all buzzing a bit more with bbqs etc??

A sympathetic Bernie! ;-))

Hi Amanda, I did try sending you a private message earlier but not sure if you got it or not, I'm not very good at this lol.

I'll try sending it again as I put my mobile number on it.

Fingers crossed :wacko: Ady xxx

would love to meet up but am in Melbourne. I've been here 4 weeks so far. I have kids, so have been lurking around playgrounds trying to make friends!!!! So far, I have one (she must not have a anti-weirdo sensor in her head)!

It is strange when you get a new mobile here and the only numbers in it (apart from your own) is your home number and your husbands new mobile number!

Good luck - I am in the same boat, we'll get there in the end x

Guest AmandaJ

thanks for all your messages

I did go out last night - with a real estate agent and his wife (he tried to sell me a house in Pitt Town when I first was looking at renting) anyways it was fun - but I think there was a bit of a set up trying to go on....hehehehehe one drink in and one of his work colleagues joined us for dinner and drinks!!!!!!!!

I guess what makes it just a little worse is I am here alone - no partner/hubby etc....the only real company I have are my furbabies - even they bugger off after a while of me nattering on to them :-)

I look forward to chatting Ady

Archived