Wanted - errrrr some friends please!!!!

Guest Star8

Guest Star8

Hi all,

Have not posted on here for aaggggeeeeesssss been doing the normal stuff working and paying the bills etc etc.

Been here just over a year now...quite amazing really as I was ready to go home after the first week! Then when I did not get a job until Dec last year I was ready to go home again and even now don't feel totally happy. But, we are doing ok. (We being me (32, and my boyfriend 34 and our English doggie Millie). It is sad but apart from people we see at work we have made no friends where we live in Oakville, nsw.

So, this is a message to anyone out there who lives around Windor, rouse hill or castle hill areas we would love to meet up for a few bevvies and swap emigrating stories etc etc

Heres hoping :jiggy:

Star8

Guest snow white

a friend of mine is looking for friends in nsw i dont know how ffar away you are from each other look for little stalky

lelsey x

Guest AnnaS

Hello :)

Me and my boyfriend are also looking for some friends we don't live close by to you both but would like to meet up with some other people for a drink and chat! We are both 29, I'm from Nz and he is from London he is missing home alot. Let me know if both would like to meet :)

A

Guest Little Stalky
a friend of mine is looking for friends in nsw i dont know how ffar away you are from each other look for little stalky

lelsey x

Hello, Little Stalky here :cute:, I'm in Shellharbour, NSW. I'll have a look at google maps and see what the distance is like

Guest Little Stalky
Hello, Little Stalky here :cute:, I'm in Shellharbour, NSW. I'll have a look at google maps and see what the distance is like

2 hour drive, gah! This country is so BIG! :no:

Guest jen666
Hello :)

Me and my boyfriend are also looking for some friends we don't live close by to you both but would like to meet up with some other people for a drink and chat! We are both 29, I'm from Nz and he is from London he is missing home alot. Let me know if both would like to meet :)

A

Hey Anna where are you guys? My bf is kiwi and I am English, weve been over here nearly 3 years now.

Guest AnnaS
Hey Anna where are you guys? My bf is kiwi and I am English, weve been over here nearly 3 years now.

We are out way out west at the moment and are getting ready to move into the inner west area (Camperdown/Glebe). How did you find when you first moved? He's not liking it here so much anymore :(

Let me know if you guys ever want to meet up for a drinks!

Anna

Guest jen666
We are out way out west at the moment and are getting ready to move into the inner west area (Camperdown/Glebe). How did you find when you first moved? He's not liking it here so much anymore :(

Let me know if you guys ever want to meet up for a drinks!

Anna

Hey Anna,

Glad you're moving further in yr bf might enjoy it more that way as it would seem more central. I dont know how far West you are but I'm not so keen on the West, Glebe and Camperdown are great tho and so close to the city. We love it here, my bf and I met in UK and after 5 years there he had enough of the grey miserablesness and I had always wanted to move to Syd so we did the pros and cons, he kinda wanted to go back to Wanaka but as I said to him its beautiful but not much there for people our age he would just want to spread his wings again. So far we are both very happy, had some shocking luck with jobs etc the first 6 months and just stuck it out, there were some very depressing moments when you think what on earth am i doing, I left the best friends one could hope for and my family for what? But then it all comes into perspective again when I say to myself - well you can always go home, do you want to? And I always think hmm no. Its so hard to have the people you truly love in one place and the place you truly love in another. I still feel really privelidged to live here, but my sis is having her first bub in August and I'm so close with her its going to be hard not going thru it all in person with her. We have webcams tho and chat for a few hours every few Saturdays etc. Its really hard to make close friends again as it obviously takes years to build up history, but thats ok we still have people on the end of a phone line too the whole time so its not too lonely a feeling and have lots of mates now. But yeah it takes a while to feel a part of it, first its a euphoric holiday feeling, then exciting getting jobs in a new city etc, then comes a bit of oh I miss things and people while you're getting your bearings here.

I don't think I've ever wished I was back home, if something really crappy happens here I temporarily think the grass might be greener but i think this is a wonderful country to live in. Hopefully yr bf will feel differently when you're closer to the city. Yeah like wise it would be cool to meet up give us shout if you're ever in the city :-)

Guest AnnaS
Hey Anna,

Glad you're moving further in yr bf might enjoy it more that way as it would seem more central. I dont know how far West you are but I'm not so keen on the West, Glebe and Camperdown are great tho and so close to the city. We love it here, my bf and I met in UK and after 5 years there he had enough of the grey miserablesness and I had always wanted to move to Syd so we did the pros and cons, he kinda wanted to go back to Wanaka but as I said to him its beautiful but not much there for people our age he would just want to spread his wings again. So far we are both very happy, had some shocking luck with jobs etc the first 6 months and just stuck it out, there were some very depressing moments when you think what on earth am i doing, I left the best friends one could hope for and my family for what? But then it all comes into perspective again when I say to myself - well you can always go home, do you want to? And I always think hmm no. Its so hard to have the people you truly love in one place and the place you truly love in another. I still feel really privelidged to live here, but my sis is having her first bub in August and I'm so close with her its going to be hard not going thru it all in person with her. We have webcams tho and chat for a few hours every few Saturdays etc. Its really hard to make close friends again as it obviously takes years to build up history, but thats ok we still have people on the end of a phone line too the whole time so its not too lonely a feeling and have lots of mates now. But yeah it takes a while to feel a part of it, first its a euphoric holiday feeling, then exciting getting jobs in a new city etc, then comes a bit of oh I miss things and people while you're getting your bearings here.

I don't think I've ever wished I was back home, if something really crappy happens here I temporarily think the grass might be greener but i think this is a wonderful country to live in. Hopefully yr bf will feel differently when you're closer to the city. Yeah like wise it would be cool to meet up give us shout if you're ever in the city :-)

Thanks for that! Its so encouring to hear that things get better! We met in Taiwan and were back and forth between England & NZ none of us wanted to move at the time so Oz was the compromise!!!

I work at the Uni of Syd so am around this area a lot, did you apply for the 461 visa by any chance? It definately sounds like things will get better, so hopefully I can convince him to stay for at least another year!

We will hopefully be moving closer to the city in within the next few weeks or so! Will definately give ya yell when we have moved, we come in most weekends.

Thanks a million xx will def give you a yell for drinks

Anna

Guest jen666
Thanks for that! Its so encouring to hear that things get better! We met in Taiwan and were back and forth between England & NZ none of us wanted to move at the time so Oz was the compromise!!!

I work at the Uni of Syd so am around this area a lot, did you apply for the 461 visa by any chance? It definately sounds like things will get better, so hopefully I can convince him to stay for at least another year!

We will hopefully be moving closer to the city in within the next few weeks or so! Will definately give ya yell when we have moved, we come in most weekends.

Thanks a million xx will def give you a yell for drinks

Anna

Hey Anna, no worries its good to be able to relay some of the feeling we felt if it helps anyone. Ha same Oz was the compromise for us (well its where I wanted actually but compromise for D) and he just loves it now he's really pleased I harped on and on about it. Oh cool I know someone who works there too Toby but there are probably a million people working there. I did, I did the 461 thru my bf and then my employers sponsored us both for perm res this year and we got it in March - really pleased. We're looking to buy somewhere now so it cant be that bad eh :-) Def give us a shout we can swap England / NZ / Aus stories! Have a great weekend!!

Hi

I have been here since January and am still feeling homesick. I just really miss my friends and the social aspect I used to have back home, I am starting to wonder if I will ever feel settled!! I am really missing London which is where I am from too. I am 27 and moved here to be with my boyfriend who is Australian. He has his own friends who are all lovely but I really just want to make my own group of friends. If people are going out I would love to come along.

Guest AnnaS
Hey Anna, no worries its good to be able to relay some of the feeling we felt if it helps anyone. Ha same Oz was the compromise for us (well its where I wanted actually but compromise for D) and he just loves it now he's really pleased I harped on and on about it. Oh cool I know someone who works there too Toby but there are probably a million people working there. I did, I did the 461 thru my bf and then my employers sponsored us both for perm res this year and we got it in March - really pleased. We're looking to buy somewhere now so it cant be that bad eh :-) Def give us a shout we can swap England / NZ / Aus stories! Have a great weekend!!

YAY I might ask you a few questions about the 461 we will be handing the application in kinda soon I wasnt really sure what to include so might need some advice from ya!

Guest AnnaS
Hi

I have been here since January and am still feeling homesick. I just really miss my friends and the social aspect I used to have back home, I am starting to wonder if I will ever feel settled!! I am really missing London which is where I am from too. I am 27 and moved here to be with my boyfriend who is Australian. He has his own friends who are all lovely but I really just want to make my own group of friends. If people are going out I would love to come along.

Hey ya :)

I know my poor bf really misses his social life back home esp the pub and hanging out! None of my friends are here either they funnily enough decided to go travelling and are in London and back in NZ. Are you near the city? if you want to meet up as well would be keen!!!

Anna

Hi Anna

I know how your boyfriend feels, I really miss going to the pub, the bars over here just dont seem to have the same feel! How long have you been here? I live in North Sydney so its really close to the city, which is great. Where are you living?

Did you see on one of the other threads some of the girls are meeting on Thursday I am going to go along to that, I really do miss my female friends! Are you going to come along to that? Do you work in the city?

Mandy

Guest AnnaS
Hi Anna

I know how your boyfriend feels, I really miss going to the pub, the bars over here just dont seem to have the same feel! How long have you been here? I live in North Sydney so its really close to the city, which is great. Where are you living?

Did you see on one of the other threads some of the girls are meeting on Thursday I am going to go along to that, I really do miss my female friends! Are you going to come along to that? Do you work in the city?

Mandy

We have just put a deposit in for a flat in Surry Hills so fingers crossed that we will get it. We currently live miles out of the city we are staying with some of my family. I work in the city (Uni of Sydney). Do you work in the city? I will check that thread out for details of Thursday night, will def come along!!!

Guest jen666

Hey Mandy,

Aaah bless ya you may never feel fully setlled, after nearly 3 years my heart is without a doubt still with my people back home and I chat to the girls all the time on email and phone. I have a couple of gfs now but it just takes years to build up that kind of history or even find the ones you click with. What I take from it is that i'd still rather be here in this wonderful country and that home isn't far away at all really. With all the technology these days, email, phone, webcams etc its easier to feel like they're closer. Agree about the bars too, they're too clinical I dont know, they sure dont have the same character mostly. theres a wicked one in Paddington called the Lord Dudley, really english feel to it and big log fire in the back for cosy winter days!

Anna no worries on the 461 stuff I'd be happy to help.

I really miss good quaility girly time too!

ooh and Anna fingers crossed for you I just love Surry Hills, we live in the suburb next door Darlinghurst, and have just put our final offer in for a place in Woolloomoolloo which is right by it too, for me you just cant beat the eastern suburbs. Surry Hills is so eclectic I just love it, so many places to eat etc too! Keep us updated. Whats the thing Thurs night? I'm supposed to be on a hotel planners function thing for work but might see if I can blow it off!

Guest AnnaS
Hey Mandy,

Aaah bless ya you may never feel fully setlled, after nearly 3 years my heart is without a doubt still with my people back home and I chat to the girls all the time on email and phone. I have a couple of gfs now but it just takes years to build up that kind of history or even find the ones you click with. What I take from it is that i'd still rather be here in this wonderful country and that home isn't far away at all really. With all the technology these days, email, phone, webcams etc its easier to feel like they're closer. Agree about the bars too, they're too clinical I dont know, they sure dont have the same character mostly. theres a wicked one in Paddington called the Lord Dudley, really english feel to it and big log fire in the back for cosy winter days!

Anna no worries on the 461 stuff I'd be happy to help.

I really miss good quaility girly time too!

ooh and Anna fingers crossed for you I just love Surry Hills, we live in the suburb next door Darlinghurst, and have just put our final offer in for a place in Woolloomoolloo which is right by it too, for me you just cant beat the eastern suburbs. Surry Hills is so eclectic I just love it, so many places to eat etc too! Keep us updated. Whats the thing Thurs night? I'm supposed to be on a hotel planners function thing for work but might see if I can blow it off!

Thank you!!! I really like Surry hills we use to live nearby in Waterloo before bf had to go bush and work on a farm to get his 2nd year visa. There are a group of ladies meeting up on Thursday night for a drink at the Establishment bar its mentioned on another thread, I def think you should blow the work thing off if you can and should come for a drink :)

Yes I work in the city, I havent really been out in Surry Hills but it seems a cool place to live, when are you planning on moving Anna? Will be so much better for you when you live in the city, I hate the commute when you have a long train journey, I used to do it in London and I always found it annoying when I went out after work etc.

I know what you mean Jen, it takes ages to build proper friendships with people. My friends from back home are mainly my friends from school and we are so close that I just miss those friendships. We still speak on msn and on the phone but its just not the same because I miss not having them to go shopping with and after work drinks. I will check out the Lord Dudley thanks for that.

Yeah you should def come along on Thursday night, I havent been to the Establishment yet, apparently its also free champagne until 8pm!

Guest jen666

Hey girls!

Thinking it sounds far more fun to come meet you guys! how will we recognise each other?

Btw I am so stupidly excited, we got our offer accepted on my dream apartment today (well ok dream within our prioce range anyway) and I keep eyeing up the pics, picturing my life in my new home :-)

Julo seems to be arranging it all on the other thread so maybe PM her. I will also send you both a PM. Is that the new apartment in Wollomolloo? How exciting!! Any idea when you will be moving?

Guest AnnaS
Hey girls!

Thinking it sounds far more fun to come meet you guys! how will we recognise each other?

Btw I am so stupidly excited, we got our offer accepted on my dream apartment today (well ok dream within our prioce range anyway) and I keep eyeing up the pics, picturing my life in my new home :-)

Congrats!!! that is really exciting news..... our offer for that flat was knocked back arghhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I hope we find something soon :)

Guest AnnaS
Yes I work in the city, I havent really been out in Surry Hills but it seems a cool place to live, when are you planning on moving Anna? Will be so much better for you when you live in the city, I hate the commute when you have a long train journey, I used to do it in London and I always found it annoying when I went out after work etc.

I know what you mean Jen, it takes ages to build proper friendships with people. My friends from back home are mainly my friends from school and we are so close that I just miss those friendships. We still speak on msn and on the phone but its just not the same because I miss not having them to go shopping with and after work drinks. I will check out the Lord Dudley thanks for that.

Yeah you should def come along on Thursday night, I havent been to the Establishment yet, apparently its also free champagne until 8pm!

The commute into the city is a killer!!! I would love to sleep in a bit more in the morning... Where abouts in London are you from? We are back to looking for flats again :( Im looking forward to Thursday, should be fun :)

Guest jen666

Sorry to hear that Anna bummer - was it for rent? Its hard to rent a place these days so many people going for them!

• 4 months later...
Guest burnsiea

Hey Guys,

Have enjoyed reading your sotries and thought you might be able to answer a few of my questions.

I am currently waiting on my 461 visa, I applied 1st July and not heard anything since then...how long did it take for yours to be granted? were u called at all during the process to have an interview etc?

Im on a working holiday visa and currently working through my 6 months which is coming to an end but I really do not want to leave the company i am with and may have to if this visa doesnt come through. I was told it would take 3-4 months and now they cant seem to tell me anything.

any help woudl be much appreciated.

thanks

Hey guys, know how your feeling. Been here 2 yrs now and have no friends outside of work. It makes me feel down when i think about it, have never found it difficult to find friends, maybe am not trying hard enough?.

Having no friends here makes me want to go back home and be with the friends that i have back there that i have been friends with for over 13 yrs.

Why is it so difficult?.

I would like to meet people off of here but am not all that good at meeting people i don't know, confidence thing i think.

Currently live in the parramatta region.

Archived