PMV processing times - let's twiddle our thumbs in the meantime!

Smiler

Hi guys,

I am Australian citizen and my Fiancee and I are applying for the Prospective marriage Visa in about a month.

I have a few queries which are bothering me (this process could not be any more stressful!). It seems that things are going well for the group posting her and I'm hoping you guys can shed some light on some issues for me:

1. Financial - My fiancee will not have much money or assets, if any, if the Visa gets granted, will this make a difference? I am fully capable of taking care of him and myself, but immigration may not see it this way. Can anyone tell me what they brought/are bringing over to Australia with them monetary wise?

2. Arrival date in Australia - Once the Visa is granted, what is the timeframe that you are given to enter Australia? My fiancee will be travelling around South America when it gets granted and will need enough time to work out his family etc before he comes back to me. Any help on this one?

I'm so nervous about all of this - I may develop an ulcer before this is through!

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi attusa and welcome to PIO . Im curently on a prospective marriage visa and over here with my fiance in perth wa at the mo : ).

i dod not have much money to bring over, i did however have a letter from an employer to say they would take me on permantly if granted my visa( i worked for them when on working hol visa)

as long as you i presume you are the sponser have a job or ebnough money in bank to support other half it should'nt be a prob.

Once the visa is granted (the visa is for 9 months) then you have 9 months from the date the visa is granted to enter oz. as long as you enter and marry before that visa is up and obviosuly apply for next visa app if that's ur plan

so i was granted my visa on 2nd of september 2009 , i had until 2nd june 2010 to enter oz and get married.

Good luck and keep us posted : )

Nadine

Hi Nadine,

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!! I think I need all the help I can get regarding the process!

I have another question regarding police checks - my fiancee has been in Australia for 2 years on a working holiday visa. Does he need to supply police checks for his application?

I know the application form says that you MAY need them, but I would like to have them organised beforehand instead of trying to get them afterward.

hey yeah he will need to do both uk and ozzie police check. i was in oz myself for 2 years on whv before . they say if you have been in oz for 12 months or more then yes do get ozzie police check.he's not still in oz now is he?

Yes, unfortunately, I did read that he has to be outside oz (i'm going to hate it!)

I don't know how anyone keeps their sanity through this type of process. I'm lucky my fiance is a very calm person or I would have not a strand of hair left on my head! :cute:

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, I'm back!

I hope everyone has been well, looks like everyone is having good luck here!!

Hopefully now it's my turn...:biggrin:

My fiancee lodged his PMV about a week ago in Washington DC, USA as he is visiting some of his family in Canada while the visa gets processed. He received an email today stating that we had a case officer and to make sure we had sent in the following items on the checklist. He needs to get his police checks and medicals done (we knew he would have to do this, but there was no time for him to do them before he left oz) and I need to give them a statement detailing how i will meet sponsorship obligations, ie. plans for accomodation and financial support.

I have recently purchased a 3 bedroom house which i will be moving into in January (yay), so accomodation is no problem, but i'm worried about the financial side of things. I have a stable job and have no other debts, credit cards etc. I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has had the PMV granted but was worried about the finance side of things as well? My fiancee will not have very much money with him, a little, but not a substantial amount. We are both 25 and he has a trade which is actually on the skills in demand list for australia so he should have no problem finding work when he gets here. His previous employer has offered him a postion when he gets back, but unfortunately this was only verbal, not in writing.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!:arghh:

Hi Attusa,

I think it's fair to say that they are principally concerned with whether he will be able to work and whether he is healthy enough to do so. You say there are no concerns there so what with you working and owning your own home, I don't think you have anything at all to worry about when it comes to the visa :smile:

Best of luck :hug:

Hi Attusa

When I gave in my second stage of the PMV (after getting married and submitting the 2 year partner visa) to the lady at immigration in Melbourne, I mentioned by husband had only just recently got a job after coming over to visit me in the UK and that I had been worried that if he had not had ajob whether it would be a problem and she seemed to give the impression that it would not have been a problem.

You will soon be in the same position as Happy Lass, Nadjez and myself when after all your hard work of putting your visa evidence together, your visa gets approved. It's a great feeling! Married life is going great!

Let us know how you get on

Smiler :biggrin:

Guest lilunoz

Hi all,

well after weeks of wanting to throttle my other half, crying sessions late at night, cursing the ozzie government, cursing the uk government, wanting to kill any person that says 'sorry we don't do that anymore' and filling out my application form twice coz I mucked it up the first time...I can finally join in this thread!

All that paperwork, all that waiting, finally I lodge my visa tomorrow! (well I'll be at work, my dad's wife will post for me)

Now I'm guessing that as its so close to Christmas, all they will do is take the payment and sit on it until the New Year...so let the thumb twiddling and obsessive email checking begin!

:jiggy:

Lol Lilunoz!

Well by now you will have got the dreaded application out of the way which is a huge relief in itself. Here's hoping that you are not put through the misery of waiting for too long. Did you frontload (do the meds, police check, etc) as these will make your application much speedier. My application took around 2 weeks so here's hoping similar timescale for you. I totally understand the email checking but it's always the way that when you look at your email not expecting a result, there is one.

Let us all know how you get on. Good luck

Smiler:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
Hi all,

well after weeks of wanting to throttle my other half, crying sessions late at night, cursing the ozzie government, cursing the uk government, wanting to kill any person that says 'sorry we don't do that anymore' and filling out my application form twice coz I mucked it up the first time...I can finally join in this thread!

All that paperwork, all that waiting, finally I lodge my visa tomorrow! (well I'll be at work, my dad's wife will post for me)

Now I'm guessing that as its so close to Christmas, all they will do is take the payment and sit on it until the New Year...so let the thumb twiddling and obsessive email checking begin!

:hug:Happy Christmas and may 2010 bring you loads of happiness:wink:I am sure it will love Susie xx

Guest lilunoz
Lol Lilunoz!

Well by now you will have got the dreaded application out of the way which is a huge relief in itself. Here's hoping that you are not put through the misery of waiting for too long. Did you frontload (do the meds, police check, etc) as these will make your application much speedier. My application took around 2 weeks so here's hoping similar timescale for you. I totally understand the email checking but it's always the way that when you look at your email not expecting a result, there is one.

Let us all know how you get on. Good luck

Smiler:biggrin:

Thank you so much smiler. I had an email today from them!! They have requested meds (couldnt front load as wasn't allowed to dam it) sooo i'm thinking that this is good news?? :biggrin:

They also asked for my fiance's decree absolute which makes no sense as he has never been married...hmm will call them tomorrow and check.

xxxxx

Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a good xmas and have a great new year!!

My fiancee has received what looks like a computer generated email stating the docs that we need to have made sure immigration has received. He is in the process of doing his police checks and medicals, which is fine. They have also requested a statement from the sponsor (me) stating how I will meet sponsorship obligations, accomodation, financial etc. I have covered the accomodation and financial aspect of things in my statement, but I was wondering if anyone else's sponsor had to write this statement? I'm not sure if there is anything I'm supposed to include or cover. The instructions are very vague.

My fiancee has been gone for just over a month now and it's driving me crazy, worst time of year i think too. We've spent christmas and new year's apart. It's awful!!

If anyone could help me out, that would be fantastic.

Thanks guys

Guest siamsusie
Hi guys,

Hope everyone had a good xmas and have a great new year!!

My fiancee has received what looks like a computer generated email stating the docs that we need to have made sure immigration has received. He is in the process of doing his police checks and medicals, which is fine. They have also requested a statement from the sponsor (me) stating how I will meet sponsorship obligations, accomodation, financial etc. I have covered the accomodation and financial aspect of things in my statement, but I was wondering if anyone else's sponsor had to write this statement? I'm not sure if there is anything I'm supposed to include or cover. The instructions are very vague.

My fiancee has been gone for just over a month now and it's driving me crazy, worst time of year i think too. We've spent christmas and new year's apart. It's awful!!

If anyone could help me out, that would be fantastic.

Thanks guys

Hi Attusa:hug: Yes my husband wrote the very same statement for me. They do ask how you physically support each other emotionally etc... so he described how basically we were the best of friends, talked about everything etc etc... how he helped integrate me into the Australian way of life. How we shared the household chores. Give an outline of your life together basically. How your family and friends accept your OH.. holidays together, future plans etc etc.... I think I still have copies if you want to pm me.... It wont be long before you are together, yes I agree a horrible time of year to be apart:hug: hugs love Susie xx

• 2 weeks later...

hey,

we are posting ours in the next day or two! has anyone applied before christmas and heard/not heard? just trying to guess or see how long its taking at the mo and if they are backdated! im being impatient i know, but can ya blame me!!? also we are both in uk at the mo, my celebrant reckons that she will scan and email the letter to confirm our noim has been lodged, will this do? i asked her to send the hard copy in the post too coz im sure they will request it!

Archived