Young, carefree and in Melbourne?!!!

Guest Kiri Greenhill

Guest kateltham

Wow, Kiri look what you've started! Every time I check this there are more people, very cool! It is definitely the more the merrier at the moment, we've all been here for various lengths of time but I think we're all definitely up for making new mates and getting out for drinks etc in Melbourne. I've been here two weeks now, so comparatively very new to the whole thing....

Vicky, Sharon, Laura would be fab to meet you guys too. Kiri, Jenni and I talked about starting a facebook group but it's been non stop this weekend so haven't done it yet, but might be a better way of organising stuff, I will do it today.

We should sort out a provisional date to meet up, definitely. When I suggested Thurs I thought there were only going to be three of us, oops! How are people fixed for Fri/Sat the weekend after next (24th/25th), we could see about doing the hidden bars thing then?

Kat xx

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Kiri Greenhill
Wow, Kiri look what you've started! Every time I check this there are more people, very cool! It is definitely the more the merrier at the moment, we've all been here for various lengths of time but I think we're all definitely up for making new mates and getting out for drinks etc in Melbourne. I've been here two weeks now, so comparatively very new to the whole thing....

Vicky, Sharon, Laura would be fab to meet you guys too. Kiri, Jenni and I talked about starting a facebook group but it's been non stop this weekend so haven't done it yet, but might be a better way of organising stuff, I will do it today.

We should sort out a provisional date to meet up, definitely. When I suggested Thurs I thought there were only going to be three of us, oops! How are people fixed for Fri/Sat the weekend after next (24th/25th), we could see about doing the hidden bars thing then?

Kat xx

I know it's very cool to have to many people interested :-) Especially as you said there was only 3 of us originally. That bar tour is only on Thursdays... apparently the bars are too busy for it on weekends. But if we do decide on that weekend for something then i am free :-)

Guest kateltham

Cool, Gill I'll look you up and add you :)

I've just created a Facebook group so we can easily organise stuff on there. I've invited some of you but for everyone else it would be fab if you joined - it's called 'Melbourne Poms in Oz'

Also, if anyone is free during the days and fancies lunch/coffee, I'm not starting my new job for probably another week or so. Will keep 24/25th in mind for a night out though, yay!

Guest Sharonp

Kat xx

Hi Guys

Just checking back now..24th/25th sounds great! Although I'm flexible!

I have to set up a new facebook..they suspended my account as it was in my business name:eek:......so will get round to that

Vicky..I replied to your email!

Sharon xxx

Guest krismiles

Hi everyone,

I'm moving to Melbourne on 6th August, on a 457 visa. Looking forward to joining you all for a few beers and some chat! Have joined the group on facebook.

I'm 28, and arriving in Melbourne for a fresh start. Got my job sorted, next to do is to find a place to live once I get down there. Can't wait!

Keep me posted when you're next going out after the 24th/25th :spinny:

Guest Andy PH

I empathise with all of the comments on this thread.:jiggy:

After finding a job and a roof to live under, social life is important to everyone. I am 37 (not that age is important once you pass 25!!! LOL) and I still think I am 23. Single, in Melbourne, all of 6 weeks, knew no-one here before I left which was part of the challenge, love the country, the city but yes breaking into an Aussie lifestyle and finding friends can be difficult for a whole range of reasons.

If anyone wants to meet up or chat do send an email to andyphicks@hotmail.co.uk

For what it's worth I have found that placing accents very quickly is required and a good number of people here appear to be very particular about who they talk to, regardless of what you are about to say. I have had many good and some bad reactions - the good ones you go with the flow, the bad ones you do what the penguins do in Madagascar "smile and wave" and move on.

The differences between Australia and home are amusing and strange - but to me that is all part of the experience. I am here for a better quality of life and if I perceivere I believe I will in time find what I am looking for. If you get knocked back, you get up and start again - that's the Aussie way for nearly everything in my limited experience so far.

Hi Andy

Hope you are settling in well. The first few months can be both tough and exciting. It seems that this group is taking off and there are going to be a few get together. you'll be more than welcome. Look on Facebook, there's a group set up - Poms in Mlebourne. This is where you'll find out about the get togethers. I'm not going on this weekends but I'm sure you'll be more than welcome.

Leanda xx

• 1 month later...
Guest Kiri Greenhill

Hi everyone,

This thread was a huge success, lots of people came out and some of us have met up several times since, lovely people were met and friendships started. A few of us were talking the other night and we thought we'd bump this thread back up to the top, organise another night and hopefully get some new faces out :-)

So, if you fancy going out for drinks with like minded poms in melbourne and meeting new people then great! Let me know and hopefully organise another night asap :-)

Kiri

Guest Cutio1979

I am up for a few drinks and meeting new faces! I am originally from the garden of England (kent) and I am 30

Rachel

Hi there,

I have ben on this site for a while now and only moved to melbourne two weeks ago. I seen this thread when it first started but at that time was a bit too early for me to join.

I would like to join you guys if having any nights out in melbourne. It would be good to meet up with other who have been through same process as me in relocating from the uk. Iam a 31 year old guy in Melboune myself from scotland.

Guest kateltham

Hi Rachel and Allyboy,

Well done Kiri for sorting the forum, we've definitely had some fun and there's more to be had! There's a facebook group called Melbourne Poms in Oz. What are people's plans for this weekend and next?

Kat

Guest Skippy647

Hey peeps...i moved back out here about three months ago. Always looking for drinking buddies! Came from Hertfordshire back in the UK and now in Frankston. :)

Guest Kiri Greenhill

Sat 12th it is :-) How about we all meet at transport (opposite Flinders) at about 8 then possibly move on somewhere later? As Kat said we also have a facebook group called melbourne poms in oz which seems to be a bit easier to keep in contact though so please feel free to join it :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Carefree Poms,

Im a 30-something from SE London who has been here a few years on and off, but would like to meet new faces (and pull myself out of homesickness). It would be great to meet other relocators. I'd like to join you if you're meeting again in Melbourne...

Guest khalliburton

Hi guys! Hope I'm not too late to join in the fun! I'm Kerry 27 and a nurse. Will be good to meet new peeps, hopefully wil be able to make the next meet up ..... working shift work sucks for your social life!

Guest Kiri Greenhill

Hi guys, i must apologise for the fact that i have been so slack on keeping up with this thread! Work has been very busy lately and when i've gotten online it's mostly facebook! Hopefully we can get another might going soon (i go away in 3 and a half weeks so hopefully before then, i'll be back the end of Nov). Any atesin particular that suit? Oh and please feel free to join our facebook group- it seems to be much easier to keep in touch through that :-) Hope you're all well and enjoying Melbourne.

kir :-)

• 1 month later...

Hi!

I am 26 and am moving in august 2010 to Melbourne with my OH, Barry (28). We will be coming over in feb though to look at areas to live. Any suggestions of nice areas for couples our age. must be near the sea as we are also bringing our dog over! any information would be great!

would like to meet people when we come over in feb, so that we have some friends for when we move over, as we dont know anyone at the minute!

thanks!

Vanessa

:biggrin:

Hi Vanessa, i've been here 10 years and am also 26. If you can afford it the best places by the beach would have to be mornington, Mt Martha, around the peninsula area. Gorgeous little towns and great beaches to walk the dog :) i currently have a friend from scotland living with me and another 2 who also arrive in Feb. I would love it if we could organise to meet up somewhere and get to know each other . Seeing as im gonna be a tour guide for 3 other poms id be more than happy for u and barry to come along and join us on our expeditions lol

Hi Liane,

yes, that would be great!would love to meet up! we did look at mornington and mount martha when we were over last feb, it just depends if there are jobs for us both in the area. are all of ur friends emigrating or just coming to visit next feb?

Vanessa x

Archived