How to persuade hubby?

hope73

Guest MrPlodd

if you floss every day and use an electric toothbrush twice a day you only need to see a dentist every 2 years most experts have said.
I was led to believe it was in your genes, some folks pegs are stronger than others , anyways i'm proud of me teeth no harm in that, the Bow water is too calcified to leave em soaking of a night :laugh:

Guest inlimbo
I was led to believe it was in your genes, some folks pegs are stronger than others , anyways i'm proud of me teeth no harm in that, the Bow wtaer is too calcified to leave em soaking of a night :laugh:

Its a fact that flouride in the water has made the teeth of the people who are lucky enough to have it in their water so much healthier and stronger, watched a program about how the people in the midland have so much better teeth because of fluoride.

Guest MrPlodd

Its a fact that flouride in the water has made the teeth of the people who are lucky enough to have it in their water so much healthier and stronger, watched a program about how the people in the midland have so much better teeth because of fluoride.
yeh heard that as well limbo, but further up the road I have seen tombstones from hell, anyways want a burd to feel soft palate instead of plastic when she probes my mouth:daydreaming:

Guest inlimbo
yeh heard that as well limbo, but further up the road I have seen tombstones from hell, anyways want a burd to feel soft palate instead of plastic when she probes my mouth:daydreaming:

:cute:

I myself grew up in NZ and my reasons for wanting to move to Aus are as follows (we currently livein England):

* I want my children to have an outdoor lifestyle and more sporting opportunities than they seem to have here (I'm a primary teacher and have been shocked by how early girls in particular tend to opt out of sport)

Not sure that you will find this any different - I am amazed at how kids here dont play outside nearly as much as I see them doing in UK. Parents I have worked with would no more think of playing outside with their kids or even letting them play outside alone than they would fly to the moon. Obesity is epidemic in young people here

* I'd like to live somewhere warmer and prettier

Hotter for sure, prettier - no not, fly ridden - definitely

* My husband loves sport so he'd love the way Australians follow it so keenly

He'd have to be into "footie" (rugby or Aussie rules) because soccer isnt that big but as pretty much all the fta programs on a Friday night involve balls of some particular shape he will be fine - you will probably be bored witless

* We'd like a more relaxed lifestyle

Australia has fewer rec leave days and in general work longer hours than their UK counterparts. Knackered is probably more accurate than relaxed

*We'd like more space

Well there is plenty of that here - drive for hours just to get to the next town, no worries. Houses are big too but hard to heat and often monster houses on tiny blocks

* I'd like to be closer to my own family (although can't quite bring myself to live in NZ as it's a tad too cold for me!)

OK that's a foregone conclusion

* I am not impressed with the school system in England and am under the impression the Aus school system is more similar to NZ

Aus rates higly in international league tables but personally I dont think it is as good and I have worked with several parents who have gone back to UK for their kids' education - and that is from a good local school and ACT usually features quite high in league tables as well

* the health system seems better

Umm, we are talking Australia here - co payments, payments for prescriptions, interminable waitlists for elective surgery, no I dont think so!

* We think we'd lead a healthier lifestyle

Nothing magic about living here for health - you can have a healthy lifestyle wherever you choose and you will be at higher risk of melanoma every time you and your kids venture out of the house anyway

* My brother lives out there so it'd be lovely to live near him

True, do you like your brother?

* My personal opinion is that in England females grow up thinking they're nothing more than clothes horses, whereas in Aus and NZ girls grow up feeling better about their body because they're usually into some kind of sport. Having a daughter in England scares me as most girls seem to be obsessed with shopping, fashion and celebrity and that is about it!

OMG you expect something different here? I'd rather a girl be concerned about their clothes than about dieting themselves to death or cutting themselves and leaving scars. Adolescent mental health here is not good and the youth suicide rates still rank up there at the top of the world tables. I think a passion for shoes is harmless by comparison. BTW most kids are NOT into sport unless it is the weekly game of footie where dad can cheer, most of them are wedded to their wiis - girls sport isnt nearly as prominent

Guest June Pixie

If you have to persuade someone to go somewhere or do something based on a non-existent experience or perception then I don’t think all will turn out well in the end. Trying to compare or make out Australia is better won’t work because no country is better than another in terms of scenery, diversity, history or culture. Fundamentally what makes a country desirable to live in is its government.

Australia gets the vote from most UK migrants as it’s warm, English speaking and safe. If somewhere like Iraq or Afghanistan were English speaking and safe then no doubt we would all be off there to live as these countries have the warmth and amazing landscapes and therefore would qualify for that all important perceived ‘relaxed lifestyle’ we believe magically happens in hot countries.

Sometimes it doesn’t make sense that rich western societies such as the UK can dare to complain about anything, we are spoilt and pampered beyond belief, have every material ‘thing’ we could want or actually need, are protected with human rights laws and live in a relatively safe and morally correct society with clear boundaries of right and wrong. Where it goes wrong for societies such as ours ties in with being pampered, spoilt and ‘doughy’ – Quite lazy and arrogant in reality. We see small and pointless issues as major stumbling blocks and a pointer that the UK is on its knees.

Concerning issues such as materialism and self obsession then that will not be eradicated by moving to another country; this can be curtailed and reversed as a parent by reducing or eliminating the cause, i.e. TV, magazines. If the parents don’t sit around watching crap on TV or read pointless drivel in ‘celeb’ mags then your offspring will be less likely to do the same. If you get up every second morning to go for a jog or cycle to work then your kids will have more enthusiasm for sporting activities from youth to adulthood, or, at the very least, learn to appreciate that you kept yourself healthy as a parent.

If however, like me, you are just after adventure and a little bored with the UK, which considering how some people survive in this world is quite a stupid reason, then go for it and try another country until you get bored there.

Best regards.

Guest LondonGal
If you have to persuade someone to go somewhere or do something based on a non-existent experience or perception then I don’t think all will turn out well in the end. Trying to compare or make out Australia is better won’t work because no country is better than another in terms of scenery, diversity, history or culture. Fundamentally what makes a country desirable to live in is its government.

Australia gets the vote from most UK migrants as it’s warm, English speaking and safe. If somewhere like Iraq or Afghanistan were English speaking and safe then no doubt we would all be off there to live as these countries have the warmth and amazing landscapes and therefore would qualify for that all important perceived ‘relaxed lifestyle’ we believe magically happens in hot countries.

Sometimes it doesn’t make sense that rich western societies such as the UK can dare to complain about anything, we are spoilt and pampered beyond belief, have every material ‘thing’ we could want or actually need, are protected with human rights laws and live in a relatively safe and morally correct society with clear boundaries of right and wrong. Where it goes wrong for societies such as ours ties in with being pampered, spoilt and ‘doughy’ – Quite lazy and arrogant in reality. We see small and pointless issues as major stumbling blocks and a pointer that the UK is on its knees.

Concerning issues such as materialism and self obsession then that will not be eradicated by moving to another country; this can be curtailed and reversed as a parent by reducing or eliminating the cause, i.e. TV, magazines. If the parents don’t sit around watching crap on TV or read pointless drivel in ‘celeb’ mags then your offspring will be less likely to do the same. If you get up every second morning to go for a jog or cycle to work then your kids will have more enthusiasm for sporting activities from youth to adulthood, or, at the very least, learn to appreciate that you kept yourself healthy as a parent.

If however, like me, you are just after adventure and a little bored with the UK, which considering how some people survive in this world is quite a stupid reason, then go for it and try another country until you get bored there.

Excellent post.

A bit of adventure was pretty much the reason we emigrated. Looking to go back now as we are bored with Oz.

To the OP, I hope you have a strong marraige. Emigrating is stressful enough when you are both keen, if one of you is not sure it may end in tears. Good luck.

Guest JoanneHattersley

It DOES work tho! I came out here for Mark, having no desire to come really. I stood by my husband. After all we are a partnership and do things together!

He wanted to come

I came with him - not really being bothered about it

We stayed as we love it.

Guest Magnetic6

Hi

I think a lot depends on the individual couple and how strong their relationship is to begin with.

A move to Australia like any major life upheavel will cause some degree of tension, i suppose it's how you then deal with it that counts.

I think probably with most couples on here, there's one who's planted the seed and been the driving force behind the move.

Natalie x

• 5 years later...

Well we stayed put in the UK because we didn't feel that we knew enough about Aus to warrant the move and we feel in love with an English Village and moved there.

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Aus (Qld and NSW) and my hubby fell in love with the place. We both know it's a case of same sh!t, shinier shovel but we feel that sunshine and living close to lovely beaches would improve our quality of life.

Because of all the red tape however, he's justifiably non-plussed about the amount of work involved.

I have to say I was surprised at how run-down some aspects of NSW are. I've always thought the UK was very pretty.

You're right about having to make the choice to be active, I get that.

It's no utopia but we found the people amazingly friendly and Port Stephens, where we'd like to move to had some stunning beaches.

I've loved our time in the UK but I've had enough of the grey days to be honest.

Thank you for your advice and also to the person who provided the helpful link.

Well we stayed put in the UK because we didn't feel that we knew enough about Aus to warrant the move and we feel in love with an English Village and moved there.

We have just returned from 3 weeks in Aus (Qld and NSW) and my hubby fell in love with the place. We both know it's a case of same sh!t, shinier shovel but we feel that sunshine and living close to lovely beaches would improve our quality of life.

Because of all the red tape however, he's justifiably non-plussed about the amount of work involved.

I have to say I was surprised at how run-down some aspects of NSW are. I've always thought the UK was very pretty.

You're right about having to make the choice to be active, I get that.

It's no utopia but we found the people amazingly friendly and Port Stephens, where we'd like to move to had some stunning beaches.

I've loved our time in the UK but I've had enough of the grey days to be honest.

Thank you for your advice and also to the person who provided the helpful link.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday. But, before you start jumping, do research.

Look at things like primary teachers are currently having significant issues getting work - there is a major over supply.

The Hunter area is heavily reliant on mining royalties / employment in mining, but the area and coal industry (like all mining) is in a major downturn.

We've had a detailed chat about it now. I said I didn't want to do it if he wasn't fully on board as it would be a very stressful procedure. He told me everything he feels and thinks about the situation and said he wants to do it because a) he fell in love with the Port Stephens area b) he loved seeing the kids so happy and in the water so much c)he hates his job and is ready for a change d)our village is changing and not for the better. He and I both kow it'd be a case of "same sh!t, shinier shovel" and that we'd not be escaping the daily grind. We know it's no utopia and there are things that we didn't like about Australia. But he actually feels that you only get one life and that no one he knows would question why he was doing it once they saw the area.

We've had a detailed chat about it now. I said I didn't want to do it if he wasn't fully on board as it would be a very stressful procedure. He told me everything he feels and thinks about the situation and said he wants to do it because a) he fell in love with the Port Stephens area b) he loved seeing the kids so happy and in the water so much c)he hates his job and is ready for a change d)our village is changing and not for the better. He and I both kow it'd be a case of "same sh!t, shinier shovel" and that we'd not be escaping the daily grind. We know it's no utopia and there are things that we didn't like about Australia. But he actually feels that you only get one life and that no one he knows would question why he was doing it once they saw the area.

Sounds like you have you head screwed on good luck to you and your family.:wubclub:

Many thanks for the update, and respects to you for the manner in which you have approached the task!

In your research do take a broader look at regions and states. We have a huge country as you know, with some areas delightful, some areas run down and dowdy. Some areas with plenty of opportunities and some with less. The mining opportunities in WA are now less plentiful, but I have been watching the ups and downs of Australian mining since 1970, and there are always ups. The same must be true in other areas. My father took us out of Australia because, among other issues, a Rio Tinto collapse (again) led to economic difficulty. We are still a country of opportunities - "golden soil and wealth for toil" is very apt.

Archived