Moving to Brisbane in less than 6wks!!!

Guest honeybee

Guest honeybee

Hey there im honeybee.

I am a nurse due to move to Brisbane in Oct and i am after some info on the daily living and social aspects and any other information that may help me on arrival that you may have found useful to know on arrival. Eg. best places to visit and what to see and do where to go for best beaches and nights out that sort of thing would be mega. Any information welcome many thanks look forward to talking to you. :notworthy:

Guest guest30038

Hi Honeybee,

Where abouts do you hope to settle (suburb) and where will you be working? You can pm me if you have any specific questions and my wife will answer your questions re nursing if she can.

kev

Guest honeybee

Hi it couldbeworse.

Thanks for replying. I am gonna be working in Auckenflower, really excited can not wait to move to OZ. Just any basic info is fab. I read about Brisbane well but still slightly confused as where the nearest beach and how big the scale of Brisbane really is. Slightly hard to tell from books. Hope its all i have ever thought it would be. I cannot wait for my adventure to start and starting my new job.

Honeybee

Hi it couldbeworse.

Thanks for replying. I am gonna be working in Auckenflower, really excited can not wait to move to OZ. Just any basic info is fab. I read about Brisbane well but still slightly confused as where the nearest beach and how big the scale of Brisbane really is. Slightly hard to tell from books. Hope its all i have ever thought it would be. I cannot wait for my adventure to start and starting my new job.

Honeybee

Hi honeybee,

The Wesley hospital in Auchenflower is a well respected private hospital in the inner suburbs of Brisbane. It is about 7 minutes west of the city centre by train.

Like most Australian cities Brisbane is very spread out. If you drive from the city centre towards the east it may take you more than 1 hour to reach the bay. Brisbane suburbs cover this whole distance. It is a bay with little or no real beaches because Brisbane is surrounded by large islands that form a protected bay which is used for boating, fishing, diving etc.

It you travel 45 minutes or so to the south you reach the Gold Coast. This is a miami highrise style 32km long beach strip with usually big wide beaches and white fine sand (unless a large storm has been through recently and removed sand). You will find housing estates a lot of the way between Brisbane and the Gold Coast. The Gold Coast has many area's away from the main tourist one's that are fantastic to explore....quiet beaches/rivers, mountains, rock pools, waterfalls, wineries etc

If you travel north Brisbane suburbs stretch up to Redcliffe about 50 mins away. This is a small coastal peninsula with poor beaches (by Australian stds) but still nice for young kids as has few or no waves as mostly protected by the bay. It has a few strips of nice waterfront shops/cafes etc, nice waterfront parks and swimming pools and a lot of people find it a great place to live. Like most outer suburban places in Australian cities you will find a bigger percentage of chavs living there if that bothers you but they are being overtaken by non chavs at a high rate. If you travel another 45 mins you reach Caloundra at the bottom of the Sunshine Coast. It is a long strip of lovely beaches finishing at the gorgeous Noosa. The Sunshine Coast has many beautiful mountains and towns behind it as well.

If you travel west of Brisbane you hit mountains after 20 minutes and the suburbs spread around these mountains into the valleys. The west is the highest socio economic area of Brisbane and has beautiful hilly, green, tree filled suburbs with lovely cafes and restaurants.

If you are looking for nice lunch spots near Auchenflower you should check out Rosalie Village - Paddington, Latrobe Terrace/Given Terrace - Paddington, Park Road - Milton and Toowong Village - Toowong.

There is a walking/bike track along the river in front of the Wesley hospital that takes you into the city centre. It is full of uni students travelling out to the university of qld.

You can also walk from the Wesley to Toowong (10 mins) and catch a citycat ferry up and down the river to some great locations including Southbank where they have a man made beach (http://www.visitsouthbank.com.au/streets-beach), bad restaurants but lovely parks, museum, art gallery, performing arts complex, convention centre, museum of modern art, state library etc.

All this off the top of my head but general gist is accurate. Fire away any questions :smile:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest honeybee

Hi guys thank you for all the mega info.

Any good advice on places to rent which areas are good for house sharing?

also any one from England ever meet up in Brisbane for meetings and social events ?

Honeybee

Hi guys thank you for all the mega info.

Any good advice on places to rent which areas are good for house sharing?

also any one from England ever meet up in Brisbane for meetings and social events ?

Honeybee

Hi Honeybee

For house shares I would have a look at Gumtree - lots of people advertise in there.

Share Accommodation in Brisbane - Gumtree Free Classifieds - 1

Love

Rudi

x

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya!!

I'm Irish and here a year- I'm out every weekend and love a few drinks :)

If you're up for a good night out, let me know:)

Also a room is available in our house in westend- houseshare with 5, its a massive queenslander and nice crew in it :)

Look forward to hearing from you,

Cheers

Aoife

Archived