Vic Suburbs Secondary Schools VCE ranking - a good indicator?

Guest TravellingSpils

Guest TravellingSpils

My family and I are moving to Melbourne (East side) in October and I am trying to get to grips with the secondary schooling system.

I found a good link to the VCE rankings in Victoria and so have been using this to judge whether a school is good or not.

My findings are that the expensive private schools are clearly at the top of the table plus the selective girls schools (much like the UK).

Then the lower paying fee schools seem to be next generally followed by the non-fee paying schools.

My 14 year old goes to a regular school in the UK and wants to continue to go to a co-ed as she has lots of male friends (and I mean friends) which i think is a good thing.

e5000929.gif So my dilema - I can't afford an expensive private school but could afford a low paying fee school.

Does anyone have experience of either - is a low paying fee school any better than a regular school - what are the benefits?

I have just started looking in the Berwick area and have found Beaconhills which comes about 200 in the VCE ranking and also liked the look of Berwick Secondary which comes about 300. I know that VCE results do not necessarily mean that the school will be a nicer place to attend but how else can i make a choice?

Any thoughts will be great!

Where are you planning to live? I would classify Berwick, Narre Warren more South East than East.

We are East (Ferntree/Lilydale) and have heard various reports (and personal experience) with various schools in our area.

What does seem to be fairly consistent is that Catholic schools tend to cost around $5000 per year. This does include books, uniform, trips etc. Private schools considerably more.

This in comparison to "free" schools, which will probably set you back around $1500+ once you take all costs into account.

There are lots of PIO memebers in the Narre Warren area, so hopefully they can give you more detailed info on that particular area. If you want more info on our area, feel free to ask.

Paul

hi, could you let me have that link? i'd be interested.

There is also another qualification, i think vcal? which is more of an apprenticeship preparation qualification so obviously schools or colleges that are good in that won't show well in vce results but otherwise its probably a good place to start.

i know a friend just starting out with beaconhills and she rates it highly.

Guest The Pom Queen

What you really do have to remember is that most private schools are very selective to whom they will accept, especially the top ranking schools. So the league tables are not always correct. A government school has to accept everyone in their zone where they are a top class student or a child with severe learning difficulties, so please bear this in mind.

In Berwick you are very lucky as they have some superb schools and they are not all private, Berwick Secondary is excellent but you do have to live in the zone, I do have the zone information here if anyone is interested but believe me rentals in this area are very hard to get. Beaconhills is private but their fees are very reasonable at around $5k per year. St Margarets and Berwick Grammar are both excellent schools but are priced around $15k per year.

You also have the Catholic College Francis Xavier fees around $2800 per year, however, Berwick Secondary definately ranks higher.

Also last but definately not least you also have Haileybury private which is around $22k per year.

2010 will also see the grand opening of the Berwick Select Entry School this will complement the existing select entry schools of MacRobertson Girls’ High School and Melbourne High School

Berwick is definately a great area to live and surrounded by plenty of great schools.

Kate

Guest TravellingSpils
What you really do have to remember is that most private schools are very selective to whom they will accept, especially the top ranking schools. So the league tables are not always correct. A government school has to accept everyone in their zone where they are a top class student or a child with severe learning difficulties, so please bear this in mind.

In Berwick you are very lucky as they have some superb schools and they are not all private, Berwick Secondary is excellent but you do have to live in the zone, I do have the zone information here if anyone is interested but believe me rentals in this area are very hard to get. Beaconhills is private but their fees are very reasonable at around $5k per year. St Margarets and Berwick Grammar are both excellent schools but are priced around $15k per year.

You also have the Catholic College Francis Xavier fees around $2800 per year, however, Berwick Secondary definately ranks higher.

Also last but definately not least you also have Haileybury private which is around $22k per year.

2010 will also see the grand opening of the Berwick Select Entry School this will complement the existing select entry schools of MacRobertson Girls’ High School and Melbourne High School

Berwick is definately a great area to live and surrounded by plenty of great schools.

Kate

Thanks for this clear overview. Sounds like Berwick Secondary is fine as long as you can get into the zone - otherwise Beaconhills or Xavier (others are out of my league i think). I imagine that you would have to be catholic to enter Xavier - a bit like the faith schools in the UK - would that be right?

deb

Guest itskaren
My family and I are moving to Melbourne (East side) in October and I am trying to get to grips with the secondary schooling system.

I found a good link to the VCE rankings in Victoria and so have been using this to judge whether a school is good or not.

My findings are that the expensive private schools are clearly at the top of the table plus the selective girls schools (much like the UK).

Then the lower paying fee schools seem to be next generally followed by the non-fee paying schools.

My 14 year old goes to a regular school in the UK and wants to continue to go to a co-ed as she has lots of male friends (and I mean friends) which i think is a good thing.

e5000929.gif So my dilema - I can't afford an expensive private school but could afford a low paying fee school.

Does anyone have experience of either - is a low paying fee school any better than a regular school - what are the benefits?

I have just started looking in the Berwick area and have found Beaconhills which comes about 200 in the VCE ranking and also liked the look of Berwick Secondary which comes about 300. I know that VCE results do not necessarily mean that the school will be a nicer place to attend but how else can i make a choice?

Any thoughts will be great!

Hi there

My 2 boys 9 and 12 go to Billanook College Mooroobark (East of Melbourne). I just love this school (private). Fees are about $10k each per child. Well worth it.

Have a look at the website (just google it).

Good Luck

Guest sanders family

My children are at Narre Warren p-12 secondary college and they have really settled and are very happy at the moment as it has only been 4 weeks. no fees and very friendly and helpful.

Kim

Guest The Pom Queen
Thanks for this clear overview. Sounds like Berwick Secondary is fine as long as you can get into the zone - otherwise Beaconhills or Xavier (others are out of my league i think). I imagine that you would have to be catholic to enter Xavier - a bit like the faith schools in the UK - would that be right?

deb

Sorry Deb, I missed your post.

In regards to the Catholic Schools, no they do not have to be Catholic, however, priority will always be given to Catholic children. If you are starting mid year sometimes it is easier to get your children in.

Kate:wubclub:

Archived