Hello from Essex/Rockingham!

cowgirlfromhell

Hello everyone...

Just have joined after reading forums on here for quite a while.

Im just about to get my PR, (176) but my tourist visa runs out 6th Sept...

I am returning to Colchester for a few months to earn some pounds, see family etc and get my stuff shipped over.

I have been living with my Aussie boyfriend and with 2 visa runs, have been away from home since Nov 2008! I have travelled all over Australia during 2004 and 2006,

3rd visit was to meet my boyfriend..(we met on the net!!)....

now im staying for good! :jiggy:

When i return with my PR, i will def contact you girls for a coffee in Freo/Perth!

Im in Rockingham area.

Hope to meet some of you in the near future!

Cheers!

Kate

Guest mrs kappo

Hello Kate,

Thought id say hi as I'm not far off getting my PR and will be moving to the Rockingham area possibly. We hope to leave UK on 6th Oct (I start work in Mandurah on 19th Oct). We want an area half way between Perth and Mandurah and Rockingham seems to be that place. What's it like? - we like the usual, drinking, eating out etc. We'll be renting to begin with so any tips on the renting market will be great.

(I'm an Essex girl too - Leigh on Sea)

Thanks

julie

Hello Julie

So you have never been to Rockingham then i take it? Have you been to Perth before?

What do you and your partner do?

Im 29 soon and my partner is 33..Im a Pastry Chef...

Yes Rockingham is a little less built up than Mandurah and affordable with being a half hour journey on the train from Perth City Centre..

Theres quite alot of hype on Rockingham being a bogan town! lol..(not as much as Kwinana!)

Prettier areas are Safety Bay/Warnbro/Singleton and Secret Harbour.

in Rocky you have the seafront area with little shops, cafes etc gets very busy during summer, quite touristy..nice beach though..Then you have Rockingham City shops..huge mall..still being built..new Ace cinema arrives Sept..so alot going on round this area.

Quite alot of industry bewteen Kwinana and Rocky too..

Another new suburb with great value homes in my pommy opinion...(if you dont want much of a garden that is) Is Baldivis..

Are you checking out www.realestate.com for rentals and house prices etc??

Homes are usually 3 bed and very dated, never have much of a kitchen either!

Your prob looking inbetween $250-$350 a week on rent around Rocky, depending what you want and at least a $1000 bond (deposit).

Also if you didnt realise...Bed Linen ('Manchester'?!) seems to be very expensive in Oz and they have different size quilts and bed sheets..so id consider bringing all your ones from the UK with all the quilt covers too!! Not unless you are a bargain hunter like me!!

What company are you using to ship your stuff over?

Hope some of this helps...feel free to email anytime..for anything!

Cheers...

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mrs kappo

Hello Kate

Thanks for all the information you gave - very helpful.

I'm 37 and a Medical Scientist and Paul is 47 and a ceiling fixer. We've both been to Australia a few times (I met him there) and have decided its the place for us. We haven't been to Rockingham but have stayed in Mandurah and Perth. I've got family in Perth which is why we want to be near there but the job I've got is at Mandurah Hospital. I'm gonna look online tonight at the places you've suggested to see what there like.

Do you know what work is like for builders in any of the regions between Perth and Mandurah? I know when we were in Mandurah this April there was a lot of work going on. Although Paul is a ceiling fixer by trade, he can do plastering, cladding and all building work stuff.

We're having a bit of a slow period with our visa at the moment. I'm stressing cause I've handed my notice in at work, have organised my work leaving do, trying to arrange renting my flat and now the immigration people want more info on me and Paul. 4 weeks ago I was told we're almost there which is why I did all the scary stuff. I'm meant to be starting my new job on 19th Oct and yet its the visa the're organising that is wanting more info. Its been a nightmare. We are just getting used to the idea that we were going in a few weeks and now it don't look that way.

I've had 3 shipping company quotes so far...Brittania Removals (Braintree), Anglo Pacific (London) and Jeakins (Wickford). The second 2 are the cheaper so its a choice between these really. Who did you use? How do you go about opening an Australian bank account? Can I do that here before we arrive? Brittania shipping company told me not to use standard high street banks to transfer any money I have from the UK, but to use a company that they suggested who will give you better rates for what you send over. I'm not sure if it was just a commision gimmik and if its really worth the hassle.

Great tip about the bed linen! When I told my mum, she knew that too! Did you get any extra baggage allowance when coming over? I've been told if you mention you're emmigrating some airlines let you have extra kilos - I soooo need that!

Anyway, thanks for all your help so far. Look forward to your replys. Have you left for Colchester yet?

Julie

Archived