Who's going it alone!

Guest mattph

Hiya

I was just wondering who has or is emmigrating on there own?

I have just been granted my 176 skilled sponsored visa and have a job in Wacol to go to and hope to be out by oct/nov. Not got a place sorted yet but looking around springfield lakes or on the gold coast and looking to make some friends who are already there or in the process of going out to brisbane.

Im 42, dont look or act my age and like to have a laugh and a drink, easy going and down to earth. In to any sports.

Any advice you can give me on going it alone or if you fancy getting in contact, then please do.

Cheers Matt

Hiya

I was just wondering who has or is emmigrating on there own?

I have just been granted my 176 skilled sponsored visa and have a job in Wacol to go to and hope to be out by oct/nov. Not got a place sorted yet but looking around springfield lakes or on the gold coast and looking to make some friends who are already there or in the process of going out to brisbane.

Im 42, dont look or act my age and like to have a laugh and a drink, easy going and down to earth. In to any sports.

Any advice you can give me on going it alone or if you fancy getting in contact, then please do.

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt

Just bumping this up for you...

You are very brave going alone, not sure I could be that brave! Although, its good to know you have a job to go to which will help, and its a lot easier and cheaper when you don't have to think about the kids.

Good luck with it

Tasha

G'day mate, I came out on my own, 46 years ago( arrived Melb. 17th Sept 1963) from Bradford to Melbourne when I was 23. Just treated it as going to another town, simple as that. Moved to a guest house and never looked back.

Cheer, Bobj.

My hubby is alone on Gold Coast. We are hoping to join him in October if he can get a bloody job. He's been there 3 weeks now and is starting to find it hard with is emotions and no one to talk too. hopefully he will get work and not look back.#

All the best for your new life

Jill

xxx

hiya Tasha

Dont think im brave, just found myself single a couple of years ago and then this job was offered to me and thought i've got to give it a go!

I should be fine as i've worked all over the uk, europe and the states so spent alot of time away from family and friends, jst this time i wont have a return ticket!! HEHE

Think you have to put yourself around, join plenty of clubs and with all the fab lot on your queensland thread, friends will be made in time.

Cheers Matt

Guest shawgorbys

hi jill how are you coz your on your own as well if you need to chat im only round the corner from you in shaw keep your chin up hun you will be with hm soon take care Andrea,&familyxx

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply. Where abouts are you on the gold coast? Where are the best suburbs you would say to get a place? As i said i will be working in Wacol, had a look around springfield lakes when i was out in april, but there are not many places to rent, all to big for just me! So started looking on the gold coast as there are plenty of flats around!

Whats the best bit of advice you can give me for when i land!

Cheers Matt

i'm actually on the sunny coast not the gold coast so can't really help with where to live down there, sorry.

Best bit of advice would be to take it easy for the first couple of weeks, just have abit of a holiday and don't even give a thought to anything stressful, also when your flat hunting don't get sucked into the first rentals you see, its too easy to end up tied down to a 6 month lease on what turns out to be a noisy area. despite what you may read there are plenty of rentals about and you shouldn't have any problems finding a nice one at a good price.

good luck with it!

i'm actually on the sunny coast not the gold coast so can't really help with where to live down there, sorry.

Best bit of advice would be to take it easy for the first couple of weeks, just have abit of a holiday and don't even give a thought to anything stressful, also when your flat hunting don't get sucked into the first rentals you see, its too easy to end up tied down to a 6 month lease on what turns out to be a noisy area. despite what you may read there are plenty of rentals about and you shouldn't have any problems finding a nice one at a good price.

good luck with it!

Hi are you able to barter with these rental prices or are they generally set in stone?

Debbie :notworthy:

(Heading to Perth early next year)

• 2 months later...

Bloody hell on your own im here with my son hope my wife will be here mid next year .Its a bit hard on your own get in touch im in mermaid beach Kev

Guest superslim09

Am going to Oz (regional Melbourne) on my own and while i think it is daunting it's kinda exciting...I could reinvent myself if i wanted (although i don't). So finding friends/ dating will be very interesting

Good luck in Gold Coast

• 2 weeks later...
Guest One Hour Photo

I came here alone 4 years ago, in my 50's. My big mistake (well one of them) was moving to a small country town. There is nothing to do unless you like church, hanging around drunks in rough male pubs, or mindlessly feeding money into slot machines.

A larger place at least offers some entertainment - if all else fails you can go to a movie, even if it is on your own.

In bigger centres I suspect people are less parochial and xenophobic and are likely to have more interests. In a small place the only topic of conversation (for women my age at least) is gossip. They show no interest in the wider world and do little, or nothing, to keep their brains alive.

I really don’t want to die here so I have been considering biting the bullet again and moving to Europe. I want to live in a place where to fit in I don’t have to fat, drunk or racist. Denmark is appealing to me, how practical the idea of doing it alone again is I don’t know.

For about two years I tried to ‘fit in’, say the ‘right things’ etc. but I have been isolated and marginalised since I came here. Eventually I realised even if I lived here a 1,000 years no-one would ever go beyond small talk in the supermarket and invite me in or allow me into their lives.

The final straw came when I was told I am ‘ignorant’ because I objected to crazy rants against Asians, apparently if I knew ‘the facts’ I would hate them as well, that was the final straw.

I know many people on this site would say it was all me, however, from visitors I have spoken to it seems small towns are famous for this sort of thing – many Australian people who move out here don’t last long, the smarter locals leave and only come back to visit.

I am held here by business/property (do we own our property or does it own us) fortunately my clients are not locals (if I needed the locals I would have starved years ago) so I get a little sanity from the visitors but, of course, that has limitations as they do not come here to keep me company and I have to be careful not to intrude into their holiday and privacy. I have to take care not to appear pathetic and,needy, as well as being embarrassing for my guests, it would be inappropriate and bad for business.

My suggestion is go somewhere of a reasonable size where they will be other non-locals and more opportunities for entertainment.

People say join a ‘club’ etc., all there is here is weight-watchers and the CWA, I was told I would not be welcome there (phew that’s a relief) as I don’t do ‘praying’.

So while I know its a cliché if you go somewhere that has night classes, interest clubs and groups its somewhere to start.

Guest telecomkid
My hubby is alone on Gold Coast. We are hoping to join him in October if he can get a bloody job. He's been there 3 weeks now and is starting to find it hard with is emotions and no one to talk too. hopefully he will get work and not look back.#

All the best for your new life

Jill

xxx

Hi have you guys made it out here yet?? we arrived a couple of months ago, settled in coolangta at the end of the gold coast!!!! If not get ur hubby to give us a call! what does he do? where is he settled??

Paul and Laura

Hiya Kev, soory only just got the internet up and running, as i have just moved into my rental in springfield. I had a holiday let in mermaid beach, in hedges ave, right next to the surf club, handy for a beer or two!! I've been out here 3 weeks now, and have not stopped, sorting out my rental and getting furniture to put into it! Got a car sorted and have been at work now for a couple of weeks. Have to say, lovin every min of it. How long have you been out it and how you finding things? Catch you soon Kev, cheers Matt.

• 1 month later...
Guest linpry7

hi there,

I arrived in perth at age 19 on my own, 39years ago I now live in Newcastle N.S.W

Take it in your stride and you will enjoy the experience

linda:biggrin:

hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. Well i've been in QLD now for 10 weeks now and loving every minute. Work is going well and i have found everyone realy friendly and they cant do enough for you. I am taking this slowly, i know it is going to take a while to really feel at home here, but i've joined a ten pin bowling league and also started taking golf lessons, so meeting a few people outside of work. All in all everything is great.

Matt

hi Linda,

Thanks for your reply. Well i've been in QLD now for 10 weeks now and loving every minute. Work is going well and i have found everyone realy friendly and they cant do enough for you. I am taking this slowly, i know it is going to take a while to really feel at home here, but i've joined a ten pin bowling league and also started taking golf lessons, so meeting a few people outside of work. All in all everything is great.

Matt

Hi Matt

I am glad you are settling in nicely over there and getting into your new lifestyle!

Hope work is good, how are you finding it? How are you finding the cost of living? Is it much different to the UK?

I hope the weather is what it should be... nice and hot! Is it too hot??? Its freezing here! We are still snowed in!

Take care

Tasha x

Hiya Tasha

Yep work is going really well thanks. Still not use to the hours! I start a 7 in the morning and finish at 3, and on friday i finish at 1, so at the moment every day feels like a half day! Back in the uk i use to start at 7 and finish at 5.30 every day, so now i have time to do things in the afternoon.

As for the cost of living, i think it's alittle cheaper, but the fruit and veg, is alot fresher and better.

The weather has been ok, the week i had off over xmas was abit pants! we had rain almost every day, but warm rain! But all in all not too hot jet, had a couple of days befor xmas up in the 40's, alittle too hot for work but fine if not working!

Hope the snow clears soon.

Any news on your visa yet? Still waiting to hear?

Take care and catch you soon.

Matt x

Guest linpry7

:biggrin:HI , thanks for the reply, great to hear you are getting on so well. I guessed you would, and best wishes to you. Linda

Hiya Tasha

Yep work is going really well thanks. Still not use to the hours! I start a 7 in the morning and finish at 3, and on friday i finish at 1, so at the moment every day feels like a half day! Back in the uk i use to start at 7 and finish at 5.30 every day, so now i have time to do things in the afternoon.

As for the cost of living, i think it's alittle cheaper, but the fruit and veg, is alot fresher and better.

The weather has been ok, the week i had off over xmas was abit pants! we had rain almost every day, but warm rain! But all in all not too hot jet, had a couple of days befor xmas up in the 40's, alittle too hot for work but fine if not working!

Hope the snow clears soon.

Any news on your visa yet? Still waiting to hear?

Take care and catch you soon.

Matt x

Wow a part-timer now :laugh: not bad hey! Great hours of work, my hubby will love that, if and when we ever get there!

Still not heard anything about the visa... just sitting ducks waiting and waiting! There have been so many changes in the immigration programme since you left, its ridiculous... we are not sure if it will be within the next 6 months or the next 3 years! So we are just going to have to stick it out in the cold... brrrrr!

So glad things are good for you.

Speak to you again soon.

Tasha

Archived