New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

Guest sassygal
You might want to consider whether it is reasonable, or even legal, for applicants from some relatively poor countries (for the most part) to pay $2000+ for a skills assessment that can be completed for $300 for applicants residing elsewhere. The fees charged by VETASSESS discriminate against poorer applicant. A UK applicant might find the fees annoying, but the would not act as a bar to making an application.

just to add its not exactly cheap from the UK either, $300 is only the TRA application, then there is the certifying of docs, lots of people have to pay an extortionate amount for the AQF tg down pathway E that cost is in the thousands, visa fees, state sponsorship, medicals and police checks and so on.

Yeah we got it cushy and how much does Australia make from the immigration process in assessig skills and visa fees? not to mention the benefit the British have on Oz with the trades they claim to be desperate for, buying houses, paying taxes lots even paying school fees!

I hope people carry on writing to the "Man on the moon!!!"

maybe one day with all the sudden changes at the drop of a hat that is ruining people plans and futures, people will have no trust in australia and its immigraion policies and think stuff it - yes not likely but it would half teach them a lesson and deservedly so - after all its getting a habit now!

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Originally Posted by wrussell viewpost.gif

You might want to consider whether it is reasonable, or even legal, for applicants from some relatively poor countries (for the most part) to pay $2000+ for a skills assessment that can be completed for $300 for applicants residing elsewhere. The fees charged by VETASSESS discriminate against poorer applicant. A UK applicant might find the fees annoying, but the would not act as a bar to making an application.

just to add its not exactly cheap from the UK either, $300 is only the TRA application, then there is the certifying of docs, lots of people have to pay an extortionate amount for the AQF tg down pathway E that cost is in the thousands, visa fees, state sponsorship, medicals and police checks and so on.

Yeah we got it cushy and how much does Australia make from the immigration process in assessig skills and visa fees? not to mention the benefit the British have on Oz with the trades they claim to be desperate for, buying houses, paying taxes lots even paying school fees!

I hope people carry on writing to the "Man on the moon!!!"

maybe one day with all the sudden changes at the drop of a hat that is ruining people plans and futures, people will have no trust in australia and its immigraion policies and think stuff it - yes not likely but it would half teach them a lesson and deservedly so - after all its getting a habit now!

vetassess is an australian comany, i'm sure they will be thanking the minister for the redundancies they will incur now all the trades are now not on the csl

By the way, before you complain to the Ombudspeson you are supposed to have made an attempt to resolve your complaint with the agency concerned. Failure to do this might give the paper tiger an excuse to do nothing. On the other hand waiting a year or so while the minister fails to respond will allow the usless clowns to trot out the - all so long ago - excuse to do even less.

I have complained variously to the Ombudsman about THE depatment improperly cancelling visas, destroying files, starving prisoners. I might as well have complained to the man in the moon. Some of these issues aroused the interest of the Operson; after the press gang gave them a run.

Some victims of the latest DIAC outrage are complaining that it is not fair and it is not right - neither is B Obamsa' s left buttock. Do not expect fairness or reasonablness. These are not defined. All you will get is the law, if you can afford to pay for it.

Guest Gollywobbler
Complain to the paper tiger? You might as well complain to the man in the moon.

Our reference: xxx Ombudsman 1

Friday, 6 March 2009

Complaints about the Department of Education Employment and Workplace Relations and the Department of Immigration and Citizenship

The Commonwealth Ombudsman

GPO Box 442

Canberra

ACT 2601

The Ombudsman

· On 17 August 2007 I lodged an application for a skills assessment with TRA on behalf of xxx (attachments 1,2,3 refer)

· The application was delivered to TRA on 23 August 2007 (attachment 4)

· The application was returned unassessed.

· My Federal Member of Parliament the Hon Roger Price MP wrote to the immigration department and conveyed my complaint about the way this case had been mishandled. As far as I know he received no reply.

· I wrote to the minister for immigration and received no reply (attachment 5 – part of the letter to the minister}.

· I wrote again and received a response from the department of Education, Employment and Workplace relations (attachment 6)

· The conditions under which TRA agreed to accept skills applications are summarised in attachment 7.

· I note that the date upon which TRA claimed to have received the application was the date when the minister signed the instrument designating VETASSESS as the assessing authority for applicants with designated skilled occupations from designated countries.

It was incorrect an entirely unreasonable for TRA to include my clients’ application as one that was based primarily on work experience. He held a relevant a 4-year degree 1080 hours of relevant industrial training and more than 12 years relevant professional work experience.

The thrust of my complaint is that my clients’ application was not decided on its merits.

Hi Westly

This is the aggrieved person's side of the story only.

What was the Ombudsman's response?

Without that there is no punchline.

So how do you justify this assertion:

Complain to the paper tiger? You might as well complain to the man in the moon.

????

What do you think the aggrieved visa applicants should do? Grin & bear their unfortunate fate without complaining to anyone in Oz?

What is the point of paying heaps of money to an RMA who proves to be totally incapable of delivering the promised result within a reasonable timescale, albeit through no fault on the part of the RMA concerned?

You are talking yourself out of a job, aren't you?

So what are you able to offer by way of constructive suggestions about what the aggrieved applicants might do in order to make themselves heard, please?

Cheers

Gill

Guest MaungMO

I would say, let's just wait and see. The chances are slim. Complaining will relieve some of our pain but will not reverse the priority process.

Guest Helen VB

Havent been on here for a couple of weeks and just read the information about the new rules for state sponsorship.

Weve already had to change from a 176 family sponsored to a 176 state sponsored because of the new rules brought out in January, now there are even more rules for this visa!!!

I had a letter in August granting me state sponsorship for WA as an 'off list' nomination (im a primary school teaacher). How will this affect me?

Can anyone shed any light on how long it will take to get the visa as we were told in August 3-4 months.

Do these new rules apply for all applicants or only those logged after the new rules have been put in place?

Helen

The DIAC and the Australian Government have shown time and again that they have no regard for applicants and I cannot see how a snotty letter will make them change their minds? The only possible effect I can see is to antagonise them into blocking any future migration prospects.

I don't think this is a great state of affairs, but I will be keeping quiet and standing in line like a good boy, It remains to be seen whether or not a move to Oz will still be on the agenda by the time I hit the front of the queue but there is no point changing anything now as I have in effect done my money! I don't think I am alone with this outlook on things, I reckon we all need to just get on with our lives and if it happens it happens, in any event it will be thier loss in the long run (ours for now) should our circumstances change such that we no longer want to go

Guest Sebbers
Havent been on here for a couple of weeks and just read the information about the new rules for state sponsorship.

Weve already had to change from a 176 family sponsored to a 176 state sponsored because of the new rules brought out in January, now there are even more rules for this visa!!!

I had a letter in August granting me state sponsorship for WA as an 'off list' nomination (im a primary school teaacher). How will this affect me?

Can anyone shed any light on how long it will take to get the visa as we were told in August 3-4 months.

Do these new rules apply for all applicants or only those logged after the new rules have been put in place?

Helen

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless you have an employer sponsor or your occupation on the csl the new ruling applies to all applicants regardless of what stage you were at when the new rules were introduced.

Jen

Thanks Jen

Do you have any idea of the sort of timescale that I would be looking at?

Helen

Hi Helen... They reckon if we fall into category 5 (Not - CSL, but MODL with state sponsor) then they say it wont be before 2012! I think there is a link on the first page of all the changes. The questions and answers tell you how long you will be looking at waiting!

Lots of agents are saying how stupid the changes are and cant believe it will take 3 yrs to look at cat 5 applications, but who knows! It does not look good! I think its a case of waiting and seeing what happens. Remember they made big changes in March this year so this is the 2nd lot of changes, I am hoping that there will be more which allows our applications to be looked at before 2012!

Tasha

Guest Justin JIANG

Helen

Dear Helen,

Congrats on your state sponsorship approval first. Actually the new rules introduced on 23 Sep 2009 affect all the applications that are in the pipeline or during the final stage of processing. So your 176 would be affected. Now, it's unclear to say how long will it take for the new applications, although i won't be that long as stated in the DIAC's website that state sponsorship with non-CSL applications would not be finalized before the end of 2012. However, there is some news in another thread talking about the 20th Oct 2009 parliamental meeting during which DIAC would be questioned about this sudden change probably. Wish we could hear the news then.

Cheers

JUSTIN

Guest Impatient

Had a confirmation from Dr Stone (shadow immi minister) acknowledging my email to her. Can do nothing else for you guys already in the system.

Backing away from all this now, may pop on every now and then to see how you are doing, but best of luck. Hopefully buying a house this week and committing to a couple of years in Blightly while loosely looking for a decent migration opportunity to open up. Like I have often said, focussed on Oz, but not at any cost.

Plan B is of course to brainwash my children to emigrate asap and then go over as parents, but a long time to wait for that one to come to fruition.

Guest Impatient

Dr Stone did not comment, just acknowledged my email (and was gracious enough to ignore the fact I called her 'Sir').

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Glenn Pereira is a Melbourne based solicitor & migration agent. He seems to be heavily involved with the many thorny issues surrounding Student visas.

He seems to be ascribing the new Ministerial Direction wholly or partly to the problems which have been discovered in the Student visa sector in the last year or so. Please see his posts on the threads below:

Latest processing update from ASPC Adelaide - 29 Sept 2009 - Migration Help

MIA Migration Conference 8-11 Oct 2009 - Migration Help

I have no idea how many applications DIAC have received/expect to receive for onshore GSM visas from people who have done their training in Oz. They do seem to have granted a huge number of Student visas in recent years:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 50. Overseas Students in Australia

The Table in the fact sheet above reveals that nearly 300,000 Student visas were granted in 2007-2008 alone. I haven't tried to calculate the aggregate from earlier years. Even if only 1/3 of the students later apply for Permanent Residency that sort of figure is capable of swallowing up almost the whole of the 108,100 GSM visas available during the 2009/2010 Financial Year.

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

On the same day that news of this debacle broke, Alan Collett remarked:

I fear much of the backlog - resulting in the Minister's various directives and policy announcements - is being caused by large numbers of student visaholders who are now seeking permanent residency visas under the skilled program.

If Australia hadn't followed the international education dollar I dare say there would be a lot more places available for general skilled migrants under the offshore visa categories

However two days later Alan published the article below:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

In it, he said:

4. Other CSL based applications (priority group 4): the ASPC is currently processing such applications and anticipates meeting the 10 day service standard in quarter 1 of 2010.

The ASPC staff have sent e-mails to PiO members saying that they think it will be possible to get the latest priority arrangements under control and running smoothly by the end of October 2009. Once it is under control, DIAC should be able to come up with realistic time-estimates based on how long they think things will actually take rather than setting what they hope is a back-stop date that will allow them 1 or 2 years to get the new situation under control.

Glenn Pereira now seems to be saying that there is no way that the shambles caused by the rackets in the Student visa sector - which have only been discovered by official eyes in the last year or so - can be sorted out quickly. Unforunately I think he is likely to be proved right about that.

In connection with the rackets - bogus course completion certificates and bogus "evidence" of the 900 hours of work-experience which is required in connection with trades skill courses culminating in the Aussie AQF III qualification - I have no idea how many ex Student visa holders who are now seeking GSM visas are under suspicion.

I also have no information about what sort of effect all that will have on the processing times for GSM visas. The Ministerial Direction says that sorting out the onshore applications must be finalised before further attention is devoted to offshore non-CSL applications.

I have no answers. I am simply trying to figure out how this jigsaw hangs together. I think there are some pieces missing from the jigsaw as revealed to the public so far.

Cheers

Gill

Guest sassygal
Hi All

Glenn Pereira is a Melbourne based solicitor & migration agent. He seems to be heavily involved with the many thorny issues surrounding Student visas.

He seems to be ascribing the new Ministerial Direction wholly or partly to the problems which have been discovered in the Student visa sector in the last year or so. Please see his posts on the threads below:

Latest processing update from ASPC Adelaide - 29 Sept 2009 - Migration Help

MIA Migration Conference 8-11 Oct 2009 - Migration Help

I have no idea how many applications DIAC have received/expect to receive for onshore GSM visas from people who have done their training in Oz. They do seem to have granted a huge number of Student visas in recent years:

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 50. Overseas Students in Australia

The Table in the fact sheet above reveals that nearly 300,000 Student visas were granted in 2007-2008 alone. I haven't tried to calculate the aggregate from earlier years. Even if only 1/3 of the students later apply for Permanent Residency that sort of figure is capable of swallowing up almost the whole of the 108,100 GSM visas available during the 2009/2010 Financial Year.

Migration Program Statistics - Statistics - Publications, Research & Statistics

On the same day that news of this debacle broke, Alan Collett remarked:

However two days later Alan published the article below:

Go Matilda - Your Gateway to Australia - News

In it, he said:

The ASPC staff have sent e-mails to PiO members saying that they think it will be possible to get the latest priority arrangements under control and running smoothly by the end of October 2009. Once it is under control, DIAC should be able to come up with realistic time-estimates based on how long they think things will actually take rather than setting what they hope is a back-stop date that will allow them 1 or 2 years to get the new situation under control.

Glenn Pereira now seems to be saying that there is no way that the shambles caused by the rackets in the Student visa sector - which have only been discovered by official eyes in the last year or so - can be sorted out quickly. Unforunately I think he is likely to be proved right about that.

In connection with the rackets - bogus course completion certificates and bogus "evidence" of the 900 hours of work-experience which is required in connection with trades skill courses culminating in the Aussie AQF III qualification - I have no idea how many ex Student visa holders who are now seeking GSM visas are under suspicion.

I also have no information about what sort of effect all that will have on the processing times for GSM visas. The Ministerial Direction says that sorting out the onshore applications must be finalised before further attention is devoted to offshore non-CSL applications.

I have no answers. I am simply trying to figure out how this jigsaw hangs together. I think there are some pieces missing from the jigsaw as revealed to the public so far.

Cheers

Gill

thanks for the information Gill you really are full of information, you are like the PIO very own wikipedia on immigration, if you ever went in to immigration as a paid job by jesus you would made of money and in such demand.

however given my own issues regarding visas, TRA and qualifiations - I was going to look at a student visa, costly but easier option after reading that I feel like banging my head in brick wall!

Guest Gollywobbler
thanks for the information Gill you really are full of information, you are like the PIO very own wikipedia on immigration, if you ever went in to immigration as a paid job by jesus you would made of money and in such demand.

however given my own issues regarding visas, TRA and qualifiations - I was going to look at a student visa, costly but easier option after reading that I feel like banging my head in brick wall!

Hi Sassygal

Glenn Pereira is an expert on Student visas and all the issues associated with them.

There is a Senate Inquiry going on about Student visas:

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Committee: Inquiry into the Welfare of International Students

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Committee: Inquiry into the Welfare of International Students: Submissions Received

Glenn Pereira owns the Culinary Institute of Australia so he is involved with the above Inquiry:

https://senate.aph.gov.au/submissions/comittees/viewdocument.aspx?id=6eb4fee9-1f1f-4612-848e-e2969d6f8fa9

Also there is a Bill in Parliament at present which I think is concerned with regulating the providers of tuition to people on Student visas.

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Committee: Education Services for Overseas Students Amendment (Re-registration of Providers and Other Measures) Bill 2009

Parliament of Australia: Senate: Committees: Education, Employment and Workplace Relations Committee: Education Services for Overseas Students Amendment (Re-registration of Providers and Other Measures) Bill 2009: Submissions Received

Glenn Pereira has made a submission about the Bill as well, presumably in his capacity as a solicitor and migration agent.

Several influential thinkers in Oz reckon that the root of all evils in the Student visa sector is the existence of the direct link from studying in Australia to becoming a Permanent Resident of Australia. Undoubtedly this link is why teaching foreign students is Australia's third largest export and is worth $15 billion (yep, you got it - billions, not millions) a year to the Aussie economy.

Logic says that this link must also be responsible for the vast numbers of students from emerging countries for whom the Holy Grail is to train in Australia for a skill, get Permanent Residency in Oz for the first member of the family, and then get the remainder of the family into Oz one by one later.

Glenn Pereira is not a fool. He is an experienced and brainy solicitor. The only writings I've seen by him are the ones on the MH forum. I don't know anything about the submissions he has written except that they exist. I don't know whether he believes that the Study>>Permanent Residency link should be severed but he seems to me to be pessimistic about the idea that the link will survive the current furore.

If I were considering a Student visa for Oz I would be asking Stefan Watts of Study Options in London about the possible courses but I would be engaging Glenn Pereira in dialogue bout the idea as well, to see which way he thinks the whole thing is likely to go within the next 5 years or so.

It should be noted that one of the reasons why cash-strapped British Universities - including the University of Cambridge which is my own alma mater - struggle to attract badly needed foreign students is because the UK does not offer any sort of visa link between studying in the UK and obtaining a right to remain in the UK as a direct result of having studied here. I understand that Australia is the only western-minded country that offers this link.

I have no idea what the eventiual outcome will be for people who are currently studying in Oz or who might do so in the future. I think common sense is to ask people like Glenn Pereira since he seems to be a particular expert on this question.

Cheers

Gill

Guest Tamarama

I recieved an email today please see below nice to get a reply though!

Suggestions include lobbying the SA state Government to advocate on your behalf and taking the matter up with immigration officials at the Australian Embassy.

Link to a document from the Department's Australian Website outlining priority issues

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/faq-priority-processing.pdf

Mary Coad

Chief of Staff to

The Hon Dr Sharman Stone

Federal Member for Murray

Shadow Minister for Immigration and Citizenship

Electorate Ph 03 58215371

Parliament House Ph 02 62774477

Guest Glenn Pereira

Hi All,

This is my first posting. It is not my intention to source business through this forum.

I am a Registered Migration Agent and not a Solicitor. However I have completed my law degree from India. Spent 12 years in India in International Shipping and in the last 8 years in India and 2 years in Australia I was involved with International Marine law, Marine Law litigation and cargo claims.

I started practicing as a Registered Migration Agent in 1992.

Here is a gist of the on-shore market

INSTITUTES

-Rapid audits are taking place of Risk VET Providers in Vic and NSW.

-41 Institutes have been identified at risk in Victoria

-An estimate of 30-40000 students are at risk in Victoria and about 80/100000 at risk nationally

-The regulatory authorities are awaiting approval of the ESOS ammendment bill which is at the Senate Committee

-This amendment will give the regulatory bodies "instant power" to cancel the registration of a institute that has breached the State Act or ESOS Act.

900 hours

• Majority of the 900 hrs certificates are bogus (possibly in 1000s)

• It appears the DPP has invoked the Crimes Act and heresay evidence indicate that some students have been charged
  • DIAC are re-opening most of the 900 hrs with voluntary work
  • Unconfirmed reports indicate that DIAC has issued notice of intention to cancel the visa of students who have been granted on-shore PR

Once the massive "clean up" takes place we will see a new policy.

JOB READY TEST (ANNOUNCED IN BUDGET MAY 2009)

• 900 hrs is most likely to be abolished from 1st Jan 2010
  • PR is most likely to be abolished for on-shore GSM
  • 18 months TR will replace on-shore PR
  • Student will have to work in the nominated occupation during the Tr period
  • Possibly restricted work rights will be introduced for the TR
  • Crimes Act will be incorporated

STUDENT VISAS

Large providers have publicly stated that the refusal rate from India, Mauritius, Vietnam & Cambodia is 95 percent for VET courses.

UK-INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

U.K. intake from India is likely to double or treble because of the problems in Australia.

I understand a large Provider in Australia has set their eyes on establising a large Institute in Birmingham to "lure" the North Indians".

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Guest Gollywobbler

Hello Glenn

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

Thank you very much indeed for your contribution above. It is very useful to have a succinct summary of what is happening with regard to onshore GSM issues.

I think, too, that anybody considering going out to Australia on a Student Visa with a view to using it as a reasonably certain pathway to PR needs to be very clear that things may well not turn out in the way they might wish for. Indeed I think this is so important that I have copied your post into a second thread of its own, to make sure that it will be seen by people who ought to consider its content.

Many thanks again

Gill

Possibly relevant to Gill's post above:

Indian students and Immigration: a case of too many cooks … – Crikey

Best regards.

Thanks Alan that does make interesting reading but not sure I agree with this bit though

"Dr Bob Birrell, a noted critic of Australia’s lax immigration rules,"

Lax!! Lax!! blooming henry!:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest stillwaiting79
Copied from a post on another forum as it seems relevant

"Application processing times (immi.gov.au)

Processing times for applications lodged on or after 1 September 2007

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/gener...htm#processing

very clearly mention with Table structure sad.gif "

It says priority applications are those in the first three priorities, i.e. only those on CSL AND with a sponsorship

this is great as I didnt check to the if they had change this on the wsbite post Sept 23 announcement. It has a column for Priority & Non-Priority processing. Would the #6(ii) the Non CSL/MODL but Fam Sponsored be part of the Priority Processing?

Guest eurosyl
this is great as I didnt check to the if they had change this on the wsbite post Sept 23 announcement. It has a column for Priority & Non-Priority processing. Would the #6(ii) the Non CSL/MODL but Fam Sponsored be part of the Priority Processing?

If you read the page carefully you will note that the priority processing column only covers the first 3 priority levels, and that no time is given for anything above that. Also it is expressed that DIAC 'aims' to process 75% of the application in this time. They do their best, try to, but not 'will'. Note that handling 75% of the applications in a given time frame means that some will be handled on day one, some on the last day and that the total group will then cover 75% of all lodged applications. So this table is a nice statistical tool that cannot be applied to any specific case tho.

To answer your question, you are eligible for priority processing, so will be handled (most likely - 75% chance) faster than the non-priority applications. And the actual (statistical) duration will most likely be somewhere between the time frames in those columns.

As noted before, how fast or slow DIAC will actually be able to handle applications will only become clear in time.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Archived