New Changes to STATE SPONSORED MIGRATION

Guest highlander

Guest VickyMel

Thanks that is a bit of a relief - I was just a bit worried in case they can switch priorities time and time again and some people could be put to the back of the queue each time and never make it. Its good to know that you will make it to the desk of a CO even if it does take a long time.

• Replies 922
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Bill_er_Bong
It is not as much as processing capacity - DIAC actually process the required number of visas each year in accordance with budgetted quota. That is also NOT where the delays come from. There are no delays in 'amount of visas processed', there is a reshuffle of priorities and where the old system was FIFO (first in first out) it is now Highest Priority First Out. Meaning that as long as new applications are added, and as long as some of them are higher in processing than those already in queue, those in queue will be put on hold (in theory indefinitely).

Also keep in mind that last financial year was closed with 130,000 applications in the pipeline. Each yer more applications come in than allowed in the budget, and they will be added to that same queue. Within each priority level there is a FIFO processing, and that means that each new application for that priority level will be added to the end of that queue. And the really sad news is that there are applicants from Q4 2007 waiting in the lower priority queues. So that is a lot of applications that will be handled prior to a new non-priority application that is lodged now.

Cheers,

Sylvia

Sylvia... good posts you've been putting in here on this thread. I tend to agree with pretty much everything you've said. I reckon it is a pretty bad picture at the moment and the post I made earlier in this thread, excerpts pasted below, throws a bit more light on your above example with some figures from the DIAC report for last year and some guesstimates of my own based on these. I believe some people are in for a LONG ride now....

Im really trying to get my head round the different signals coming out at the moment concerning the recent changes - some agents (I spoke to a few over the last 2 weeks) are saying 3 - 4 month delay for SS non CSL, others are keeping in line with DIAC's statements of 3 years, others say 'really don't know'.

I had a sniff round the 2008-9 migration report… Here are some very ball-parkish calculations I’ve made… I know they are far from accurate but I want to keep things pretty simple for clarity and also for my own very strained sanity at the moment:

Looking at some of the stats, it says of the skilled stream that “…133,601 clients remain in the pipeline as at 30 June 2009…” so this is essentially a backlog that covers all skilled visas. Right?

It also says “…163,009 lodgements were received in the Skill Stream in 2008-09…” So if we assume a similar number this year, 133,000 (backlog) + 163000 (new lodgements) = roughly 296,000 visa applications to deal with. Take away the 108,000 allocated places for this year = new backlog as of July 2010 of around 188,000. Hmmmm… makes some pretty pessimistic viewing eh? Or have I got this totally mis-interpreted?

It also says “…For 2008-09, 41.1 per cent of Skill Stream outcomes had an occupation on the CSL…”. Now I know we can’t assume 41% of the backlog will be

on the CSL, as I imagine a lot of the backlog will be just SS, MODL or non- MODL applicants, ie positions 5, 6 & 7… but if say just 25% of the July 2009 backlog was CSL or Employer Sponsored, that would be 33,250. And if 41% of new 163,000 new lodgements this year are CSL, that would be 66,830. Now we have 33,250 + 66,830 = 100,080… (getting near the 108,000 places – yikes!!!)

Chuck in ENS and RSMS who are not CSL (some already covered in previous variable)… last years outcome was 38,026 for all Employer Sponsored Categories, so knock some off for those already counted as CSL, and even if that’s 50% that leaves 19,000 to add on… giving us a rough total of 119,000 Employer Sponsored & CSL applicants to deal with this migrant year from last year’s backlog and this year’s new lodgements….

Which basically suggests everyone who is not Employer Sponsored or CSL is out of the running for this migrant year - won’t even be looked at. And with a projected backlog July 2010 of 188,000 suddenly DIAC’s promise of a 3 year wait looks very likely?

Surely this is going to create a system where there is a never ending backlog of applicants who will never crawl up the priority ladder to get their application looked at, a pipeline of Employer Sponsored & CSL applicants plus a trickle of SS & MODL who are hogging all allocated places?

Doesn't look good eh? Best go for those employer sponsorships!

:swoon:

Guest Freaks

Hi all,

To try and lighten things up a little, here are a couple of acronyms.

I am sure you can do better?

Lets see..........

CSL - Clearly Special and Lucky

MODL - Member Of the Depressed Legion

State Sponsored SS - Segreated and Seperated

DIAC - Decidedly irritating and Annoying Centre

ASPC - Adelaide Secret Postponing Centre

:biggrin:

Guest Freaks

The current Statement from the ASPC says

The Migration Act 1958 contains powers by which the Minister can consider

and finalise visa applications in an order of priority that the Minister

considers appropriate. Departmental officers are required to follow this

Ministerial direction, which applies to every stage of visa processing.

I had a quick look at the migration Act 1958

There is a whole section Titled

Subdivision AB--Code of procedure for dealing fairly, efficiently and quickly with visa applications

I cannot say I fully understand all of what is writen here! But I would imagine the title says it all!!!!!!!

Guest Freaks

I just got a response from Australia house, I will copy the text below although I think the only relevant sentence is " You should also be aware that, due to the current economic environment, the Immigration Minister may continue to make changes and therefore you should keep checking the Department’s website for updates." But prehaps this me being optomistic?

Thank you for your fax dated 06/10/2009 to the Australian High Commission regarding General Skilled Migration. Please note that if you are unhappy with a service that we provide or fund, we want to know. Your compliments and complaints provide us with information to help improve the quality of our services. You can provide feedback to our Global Feedback Unit (GFU) through our website at the link below:

Contact Us - Compliments and Complaints - Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Alternatively, you can write to the following address:

The Manager

Global Feedback Unit

GPO Box 241

Melbourne Victoria 3001

AUSTRALIA

Please note that due to the current economic climate and the impact on the Australian labour market, the following visas are subject to priority processing:

Employer Nomination Scheme (ENS)

Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS)

General Skilled Migration (GSM) visas except for:

Skilled – Recognised Graduate Subclass 476

Skilled – Designated Area – Sponsored (Residence) Subclass 883

Skilled – Regional Subclass 887.

The priority processing order is:

1. Employer sponsored under the ENS and the RSMS

2. State/Territory government and whose nominated occupation is on the CSL

3. Sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is on the CSL

4. Neither nominated nor sponsored but whose nominated occupation is on the CSL

5. State/Territory government whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL

6. (i) occupation listed on the MODL and (ii) who are sponsored by family and whose nominated occupation is not listed on the CSL.

If you would like to check if your occupation is on the CSL please refer to the website link below:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/critical-skills-list.pdf

General Skilled Migration visa applications that have a nominated occupation on the CSL are expected to be processed 12 months from lodgement date.

General Skilled Migration visa applications lodged from outside Australia, that do not have a nominated occupation on the CSL are not expected to be processed before the end of 2012.

You should also be aware that, due to the current economic environment, the Immigration Minister may continue to make changes and therefore you should keep checking the Department’s website for updates.

Please note:

-The advice you are given by the London Contact Centre will be based on the information you supply.

-We cannot advise clients on the likely outcome of any visa application, as applications are assessed on an individual basis.

-The Department of Immigration and Citizenship Strongly recommends that clients do not make any irreversible travel bookings until they have been granted an appropriate visa.

If you would like help finding the right Australian visa, please visit the Visa Wizard website: Australian Visa wizard - Visas & Immigration

We hope this information has been of assistance.

Yours faithfully,

London Contact Centre

Migration Branch

Australian High Commission

Strand London WC2B 4LA

DIAC website: Department of Immigration & Citizenship

London website: Home - Australian High Commission

Subdivision AB--Code of procedure for dealing fairly, efficiently and quickly with visa applications

I cannot say I fully understand all of what is writen here! But I would imagine the title says it all!!!!!!!

fairly = ?

efficiently = ?

quickly = ?

Guest TheHollies

They are clearly not following this...grounds for refunds??

Hi guys in the same boat although only at SS but just thought I would let you know what our agent has said

"On a positive note, we have seen processing start for applications in group 4 since the changes to processing were implemented"

If this is true, there is hope...

Australian Immigration Fact Sheet 21. Managing the Migration Program

I posted this earlier in the thread, it details the option for dealing with application that the minister can select from.

It mentions prioritising, but also shows they could have selected cap or terminate so maybe we should be greatful they haven't just terminated our applications?

I think if these visa applications didn't cost a dime and if none of those qualification-job assessments or English test criteria were existent, then perhaps they could terminate applications as and when they so choose.

Guest Glenn Pereira

The Minister has made the decision using sec 51 of the Migration Act 1958

Client Service Charter

MIGRATION ACT 1958 - SECT 51

Order of consideration (1) The Minister may consider and dispose of applications for visas in such order as he or she considers appropriate.

(2) The fact that an application has not yet been considered or disposed of although an application that was made later has been considered or disposed of does not mean that the consideration or disposal of the earlier application is unreasonably delayed.

Regards

Glenn Pereira

Guest Freaks

I have just seen an ad on GMTV. Titled Destenation Australia, the item is due to run next week (week starting 12/10/09) they are advertising a feature on the benifits of migranting to Oz.

I couldn't believe my eyes and ears, clearly they have no idea about the problems caused by Mr Evans recent changes!

So lets tell them the TRUTH!

I was under the impression that GMTV broad casted to everyone not just the Medical and Engineering professions (CSL).

It would be good to get some air time telling people the truth behind whats happening in the Migration Program right now. The more comments we make the more likley to get the valuable air time. I have already sent them a message.

There is a contact form at

Contact us | GMTV

Hi Everyone

Is it just me or is this month just dragging,Reality is just setting in and I am getting really depressed with the thought of putting our life on hold for the next 2 or 3 years.I just cant cheer up.My son says that I have the face of doom and gloom:sad:.I need a punching bag to vent.

Someone in Australia please send Chris Evans over here.:realmad:

Guest sassygal
Hi Everyone

Is it just me or is this month just dragging,Reality is just setting in and I am getting really depressed with the thought of putting our life on hold for the next 2 or 3 years.I just cant cheer up.My son says that I have the face of doom and gloom.I need a punching bag to vent.

Someone in Australia please send Chris Evans over here.

I am only at the very begining of this process and cannot comprehend a 2-3 year wait, its insane! I cannot imagine how everyone else feels who where so close to being granted and waited in turn to have the rug pulled from underneath them, I feel gutted for them:hug:

everyone I know seems so down at the moment with no apparant reason why:sad:

:hug:Hi Sassygirl

These set backs are never ending,we got refused our visa 4 days after lodging because DIAC jumped the gun,we got that decision reversed and they requested our medicals and pcc`s,send applications off booked medicals and then they drop the bomb,6 days before medicals so we cancelled.It just never stops.

Good luck

Guest sassygal

its just a joke, how on earth can they treat people like this or expect them to live in visa limbo land fo 2-3 years.

Iam looking down all avenues to get out there before the 175 visa, if thats as a student then so be it, but thats all up the wall at the moment too.........just waiting for more news, waiting waiting waiting.

We go on holiday on monday - can I be arsed........NO! dont feel a bit like it, not even got a case out yet let alone done anything else.

hope they sort these visas out sharpish for all those in the que xx

Guest Impatient

Well, we have been putting offers in on houses in the UK this week. While the thought of English weather depresses us greatly, the thought of some stability and financial security for at least a couple of years cancels that out.

We are feeling positive about things, just not about our future being in Australia at this moment in time. We are amazed at how much the world has changed in 6 months, I would not have believed anyone that told me I would be certain that staying here is the right thing for us to do. Maybe Oz one day, but only on a PR visa and only if the Exchange Rate wakes up!

Guest sassygal
Maybe Oz one day, but only on a PR visa and only if the Exchange Rate wakes up!

I can understand what you mean bout a PR visa, all others carry risks, they are all up in th ar at the moment making changs to everything, i am taking 2 kids and doing it alone so I want facts before I start to put any money, never mind the sweat and tears into this immigration visa process.

Guest Impatient

Yep. I think that the longer this goes on, the older I will get and the less like an adventure it will be. Attitude to risk changes as we get older, the need for stability increases as smallies get older too. Would hate to go there, love it, only to be sent away after a couple of years because of another change in the rules.

Could be cutting my nose off to spite my face, but just the why I see it. Anyway, just waiting on estate agent to ring back now to see if the dozy vendor has realised we have made a generous offer and are in a brilliant situation...

Guest Freaks

Hi All,

Here is an artical published yesterday, I thought it was nice to read somthing a little more positve.

Freaks.

Australia Immigration Hailed as Saviour of Australia

Lisa Valentine | Thursday, October 8th, 2009 at 3:00 am

Immigrants to Australia help keep the country's economy stable.

Immigrants to Australia have been hailed as helping to save Queensland, and indeed Australia, from a dire financial downturn, according to a leading Australian chartered accountant firm.

A report commissioned by PKF chartered accountants found that mining and tourism jobs were being lost in Queensland as domestic migrants were heading to the Northern Territory. However international migration to Australia has peaked in the Gold Coast, with Queensland’s migrant population increasing by 106,700, the second biggest rise within an Australian state.

However the rise in Queensland is small compared to previous years. In fact overall the figures for immigration in Australia are down as the recession bites hard and would-be immigrants put emigration plans on hold.

Nevertheless, overall the immigration figures for Australia look good, pushing the population up to nearly 22 million. And whilst environmentalists and sceptics remain fearful for the country’s ecology, there can be no doubt that Australias resilience to the global recession lies, in part, in its migrant population.

Mike Sheehy, managing director of PKF Gold Coast stated: “Arguably the unsung hero of Australia’s defence against the downturn has been our magnificent population growth.” He went on to state that more people means more consumers which in turn means more jobs.

Mr Sheehy also stated that whilst Queensland may have suffered more of a downturn than the rest of Australia, it would recover and continue to pull in more migrants as, “the rest of the state the pull is more contingent on economic drivers.”

PKF Director Matthew Field agreed with this sentiment adding that businesses should be directing their aims at the migrants as they are; “new Australians who need homes, furnishings, clothes, food, everything to start their new life in this country.”

He claimed that Australia’s immigrants are key to pushing the economy forward and creating more demand and more jobs.

Meanwhile would-be immigrants to Australia are waiting with baited breath for the Australian Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) to announce its plans for the critical skills list (CSL) and migration occupations in demand list (MODL). After the changes to employer and state sponsored visas were announced last month, those applicants whose visas were already being processed are fervently hoping that their occupations will appear on any revised list.

Heres one for ya!!

Waited 6 months to get our SS... the same day as all the changes which threw a spanner in the works!

Pondered to see which was the best route - and not seeing much option thought it only best to apply for the 176 Visa (non CSL) a wait it out. [2012(+)]

So our visa aplication was submitted [online] on the 4th October and will be now sat at their end [QLD].

Not due for process i know... But will they take the Visa Application Fee submitted after 23rd September???? If they do - it must meen something in the right direction.,., right?

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi All

Jamie Smith has done a huge amount to help out via cornering DIAC officials and others at the MIA Annual Conference which is taking place in Melbourne at the moment.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/70325-what-would-you-say-minister-immigration-really-4.html

Everyone with an interest in the subject of this thread needs to read the facts & figures which Jamie has supplied from Page 4 onwards in the thread above.

Cheers

Gill

Here is another response from a CO taken from another website Regarding priority processing this is not the first one that mentions more details expected end of October 2009 only another three weeks to wait :confused: then how long ?

Apart from providing all the required documents, a number of verifications

checks are undertaken before an application is finalised. Any document or

information that has been supplied with the application may be referred for

checking and may relate to English language, identity, relationship,

education, employment. Some checks are undertaken directly from this

office, some by posts, some by other agencies acting on our behalf. In

some instances the checking process may take longer than agreed service

standards. Our office is not provided with details on why the checking

process is delayed.

When the changes to the Ministerial Direction was introduced on 23

September 2009, the above-mentioned application was still awaiting

verification checks outcome. Applications with State and Territory