where are the jobs??

Smiler

Guest scouse Alan

I read the other day about a place there where 1500 jobs going in a town called Jepardy ,i so tried to look up it on the map couldnt find it The add read 1500 jobs in jepardy. :biglaugh:Alan

Hi your not alone. Weve been here 8 weeks and OH is finding it really hard to find work. 20 jobs applied for and many out of reach as we are on a 457 and job specifies residency or citizenship. you can imagine how its making him feel:mad:

We were told that for him to find work would be easy, he's a draftsman...................its a load of rubbish

I think what makes it harder is that there doesnt seem to be a central place to search for jobs.

If anyone has an idea, we're in melbourne!

Hi Rachet

Yes I agree. My prospective marriage visa was valid until April so I suppose the employers are concerned that after that I may leave (which is not the case). I just received my spouse visa a few days ago which is valid for 2 years and then should become permanent residency so hopefully this will open more doors.

Yes I started thinking all sorts of things about why I can't get a job e.g. am I too old (in my late 30's but hey some employers would prefer to pay the junior rate I suppose or maybe want fresh talent.) I've just gotta stay positive.

I don't know of any place that you can actually visit in person to look for jobs. I have just been using seek.com and mycareer.

Have he contacted BDAV (Building Designers Association of Victoria)?

Good luck. I'm sure things will start looking rosier for us soon.

Smiler

I applied for job via seek and the local gov website. I don't have a trade / skill as such, no degree etc but I've worked hard all my life and have been rewarded for that. I got my cv professionaly done and got references from previous employers prior to leaving the uk. Every application I tailored to the job, it takes time but the results speak for themselves. After job hunting for four weeks I was offered 6 interviews, attended 4 and was offered 3 jobs. I accepted one job, left after 4 days (long story) and then started my new job the week after - after one more interview.

I love my new job, small company compared to what I'm used to but lovely people, varied interesting work and more money then what I was on in the uk. Can't be bad!

Keep applying, there are jobs out there!!

Good luck!

Emma

Hi

Yes I think I should get my resume done professionally as the one I had was old style and I tried to do one myself recently following tips from a website but I am not sure if it is up to scratch so it may be worth getting someone to look over it. One agency I am with made changes to my resume but i think it would be cheeky to ask them for a copy after they did the work.

I thought that references would have to be done in the way of the recruiter posts/emails a form for the ex-employer to fill out but I have been told that Australia are more relaxed about this and that if an ex-employer just gives a reference to you and then you can hand it to whatever job you apply for. I would prefer this as I don't want the same ex-employers to be bombarded with loads of reference requests.

Oh well - have more interviews tomorrow so will keep you posted on how it goes!

Thanks

Smiler:biggrin:

Guest siamsusie
I got a job today!!!!! Yeee hah!!!

Smiler:biggrin:

Oh Smiler thats wonderful news, its so lovely to see people getting on in PIO and for those who are waiting I am sure your turn will come:hug: ss x

Guest scouse Alan

Hi every1 yes it is hard getting the position you want but its not just here its in the uk as well I always try to say think out of the square try something new maybe not as much much money as youve been earning but its only untill you find your position in your own occupation heres a web site that may be helpful to a lot good luck, always remember when you walk through a storm theres a golden sky and the sweet silver sound of a lark **** I could make that into a song Damn been done. Alan

62,634 Jobs Available Now Under 33 Job Categories - Find Your Perfect Job at Byron Employment

• 1 month later...

hi all sorry i foprgot to update i have ajob yippeee had like a few weeks ago but were waiting for uk reference to come through but started last week yay : )

Guest siamsusie
hi all sorry i foprgot to update i have ajob yippeee had like a few weeks ago but were waiting for uk reference to come through but started last week yay : )

Great news Nadjez, am thrilled for you:hug: Susie xx

Archived