Changing to married name in VIC

Smiler

Hi

Has anyone got married in VIC and changed their surname? When my hubby and I got married a few months ago, we were told it was easy to do but a couple of weeks after our big day, I went to the BDM registry dept to collect our marriage certificate and asked the man that served me but he was not very helpful and therefore I still have my maiden name on the official marriage certificate and not my preferred double barrel surname.

All my docs eg passport etc are still in my maiden name too? Any help on where I start the process would be much appreciated

Smiler:biggrin:

(Lovin' married life!)

Hi Smiler,

I don't know how things differ in Victoria or if they differ at all, but here in Tasmania all you need to do is show your official marriage certificate (not the one you get on the day) as proof to whomever needs it. My maiden name is on our marriage certificate too so I wouldn't worry about that at all. I have not yet changed my name on my passport so had to register for my TFN using my maiden name, once my TFN arrived by post, I rang the ATO and told them what my name is now. At first I thought I had to go through the change-of-name process via the registrar but this is not at all necessary for a change of name through marriage here in Tas.

Hopefully it will be as easy for you :smile:

goodluck with name changing smiler, i am still unsure if to take shanes name or keep my name in it as well double barell you call it ? : )

Hi Nadjez

How are all your wedding plans going? I would like to have a double barrel surname as my surname is quite unusual and it would be weird to lose it (many of my mates have a nickname for me that is related to my surname (my Facebook surname) but I would also like to have my OH's surname as a sign of commitment so it seems the best option. What do you reckon you will do?

Chat soon

Smiler:biggrin:

Archived