Brisbane reccie help

jomark2oz

Please can someone help, my head is spinning lol!

We are coming out for a reccie in april (also visiting perth) and want to stay in a holiday rental for approx 2wks. I need advice on the best sort of area to stay in which we can explore nice areas?

We will eventually want to live close enough to the coast but not too long a train/bus commute from Brisbane (45mins?). I'm a nurse and have heard good things about the Mater Hospital so may end up working there.

We don't want to live anywhere too expensive but still a nice family area.

Also whats the best way to go about finding a holiday rental?

Many thanks!

Jo(28), Mark(36), William(2)

Please can someone help, my head is spinning lol!

We are coming out for a reccie in april (also visiting perth) and want to stay in a holiday rental for approx 2wks. I need advice on the best sort of area to stay in which we can explore nice areas?

We will eventually want to live close enough to the coast but not too long a train/bus commute from Brisbane (45mins?). I'm a nurse and have heard good things about the Mater Hospital so may end up working there.

We don't want to live anywhere too expensive but still a nice family area.

Also whats the best way to go about finding a holiday rental?

Many thanks!

Dont know about brizzy,im not going there,eddie lives there:rolleyes:.

But "realholidays.com.au" has loads of rentals,good luck

Guest sh7t man no way

redcliffe--worth a go--its got beaches--is family friendly---and is within commuting distance of brisbane--i used to live there,and to me its all you want on a reasonable budget.

hi Jo, Mark and William,

When we stayed in Brisbane we stayed in Michelton, nice area not too far from the centre but also only an hour from the sunshine/gold coast. Also good as near the brookside shopping centre.

The link is for the rental company below.

Good luck,

Tina family of five

Homely Houses - Comfortable relaxed accommodation in Brisbane for the business or family trip

Guest guest30038

I'm with pooman. Go for Redcliffe. Safe beach for William with no need to worry about surf or tide. If you want to sound out hospitals, you've got redcliffe on your doorstep, caboolture 15 mins away and the Prince Charles 20/25 minutes away. The downside is that I'm only 10 minutes away:biglaugh:

If you want showing round, you can feel free to pm me or if you want my oh to show you round the Prince Charles, she will.

The Mater is in the city and can be a bugger to get to, and away from, at times, unless you live in nearby (expensive) suburbs

good luck

kev

Guest KateandPhil

Hi Jo

We are flying out April 14th. Heading a bit further south of Brisbane but keep in touch we could meet up let you know what its like when you first arrive.

My fingers still crossed for you

Kate

Thanks so much everyone!

Great help, i really need to research a bit more but i kind of think you never really know somewhere till you live there? Definitely going to look into redcliffe thanks. And a huge thanks to those offering to meet, may just take you up on that!!

Does Redcliffe have good public transport?

Hi Jo and Mark

Two great sites for short term rentals are Stayz.com.au and takeabreak.com.au. They are the two biggest providers of short term accommodation in Australia.

Lots of people are suggesting Redcliffe......but with the Mater Hospital being southside, being that far north of the river is possibley not the best place to be. At best you are looking at a 43 minute commute to Redcliffe (according to Whereis), and at peak hour it will be a lot more than that.

I know a number of nurses (there seem to be a lot here!!) who live in the Bayside ares - I know one working at Greenslopes hospital and 5 who are or have worked at the Mater. The Bayside area - as the name suggests is by the water. It runs from Redland Bay in the South up to Wynnum in the North. The rail line goes as far as Cleveland (in the middle of the Bayside) and goes through South Brisbane - where the Mater is based, so it would be an easy rail journey to work.

I hope that helps, please shout if you want any more info about the area, or accommodation.

love

Rudi

x

Guest DadAgain

Stayz Holiday Accommodation - 20,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia is a decent place to look for holiday rentals.

FWIW: My wife works at the Mater and has no problem with the 20 minute commute. We are surrounded by hilly bushland and live in an area with great family community feel and well respected state schools. You could do much worse....

Having said that we are further away from the beach than most - so if thats *really* important to you then its not such a good idea!

How long is the drive from Redcliff?

When we stayed at Mitchelton it was about 20 mins in rush hour, not too far from the Gap I think. My partner worked at the Mater.

Depends where you want to be, and you buying budget. We also had a look at Springfield and springfield lakes, that about 45 mins in to CBD but the road was still being build then so may be faster now as no raod works.

Please report back and tell us where you end up staying and what it was like.

Tina family of five.

Guest The Gore Family
Stayz Holiday Accommodation - 20,000+ Holiday Rentals across Australia is a decent place to look for holiday rentals.

FWIW: My wife works at the Mater and has no problem with the 20 minute commute. We are surrounded by hilly bushland and live in an area with great family community feel and well respected state schools. You could do much worse....

Having said that we are further away from the beach than most - so if thats *really* important to you then its not such a good idea!

Hi guys we are the Gore Family kids 17 13 & 5 my wife is a midwife looking for work would like to know what the Mater is like & if you know any other hospitals that need midwifes

by the way i use to coach tennis in the Gap nice place always saw lots of Horses

All the Best David Heather & Kids

Guest DadAgain
... my wife is a midwife looking for work would like to know what the Mater is like & if you know any other hospitals that need midwifes...

All hospitals with maternity are permanently seeking staff - so theres a long list, however if your wife is a UK midwife used ato a fair amount of autonomy and responsibility then private hospitals may frustrate her as birthing is handled almost exclusively by obstetricians ('scalpel happy') with midwives being reduced to a role of servile doctors assistants and post-natal nursing only.

Hospitals to look at would be:

Mater (public and private) - inner south

Royal Womens (public) - inner north

Wesley (private) - inner west

NorthWest Private (private) - north

Sunnybank Private - south

Redcliffe (public) - north east

Redlands Hospital (public?) - south east

Caboulture (public) - far north

Ipswich (public) - far west

I'm with pooman. Go for Redcliffe. Safe beach for William with no need to worry about surf or tide. If you want to sound out hospitals, you've got redcliffe on your doorstep, caboolture 15 mins away and the Prince Charles 20/25 minutes away. The downside is that I'm only 10 minutes away:biglaugh:

If you want showing round, you can feel free to pm me or if you want my oh to show you round the Prince Charles, she will.

The Mater is in the city and can be a bugger to get to, and away from, at times, unless you live in nearby (expensive) suburbs

good luck

kev

I'd vote for Redcliffe as well.

Nice suburb with access to the Mater is Tarragindi but no beach.

All hospitals with maternity are permanently seeking staff - so theres a long list, however if your wife is a UK midwife used ato a fair amount of autonomy and responsibility then private hospitals may frustrate her as birthing is handled almost exclusively by obstetricians ('scalpel happy') with midwives being reduced to a role of servile doctors assistants and post-natal nursing only.

Hospitals to look at would be:

Mater (public and private) - inner south

Royal Womens (public) - inner north

Wesley (private) - inner west

NorthWest Private (private) - north

Sunnybank Private - south

Redcliffe (public) - north east

Redlands Hospital (public?) - south east

Caboulture (public) - far north

Ipswich (public) - far west

Redlands has a public and private part.

Love

Rudi

x

Guest Moved2Brisbane

Hi I have lived on the northside and decided to move our family to the southside when we came back to Brisbane as we wanted bay breezes, a sense of space, larger house blocks, easy access to the foreshore and related activities, a village feel to the shops and good transport links.

The Redland Shire is popular with a range of expats and young families including Brits. It has good facilities and a strong community feel with loads of sporting and family facilities.

I recently had to go over to Chermside Hospital for the day and found the northside a bit too closed in with plenty of road works going on and not as cool and breezy as when I returned back to the Redlands. Generally "bayside" is a couple of degrees cooler and has more short episodes of rainfall- important so you don't have to water the garden as often with the lack of rain over past years.

Roadworks are a big deal in Brisbane as the infrastructure is catching up slowly with the huge population influx, so commuting by car can be very frustrating and you my want to be close to train services and have an easy commute to where you think you would like to work. Cleveland is the end of the train line- so maybe look at the suburbs along that line. The Mater Hospital is great and as you probably know is co-located with the Redlands Public Hospital which is the major hospital for this region.

Send me a Personal Message if you would like more info. about schools, childcare options or short term accommodation. There are many options and several websites which will save you valuable time.

Take a look at More2Redlands.com.au. and perhaps contact the Redlands Visitor Centre.

Also most of April is comprised of Easter holidays/school holidays/Anzac Day long weekend so you may need to get in quick and you will probably hit holiday rates.

Cheers and good luck

Best wishes

Moved2Brisbane

Guest Moved2Brisbane

Hi Jo and Mark

I favour the Redlands /bayside area (Cleveland, Ormiston, Wellington Point, Thornlands), having looked at the northern beach areas when we were doing our rekkie. It is lovely but we felt the bridge could be a bottlneck (eeven though they are doubling it) and you would not want to commute from there to the Mater in Redlands. Traffic and commuting considerations are really important in Brisbane as roadworks and sheer congestion is a factor. So being on a train line is important. Cleveland is the last stop here with Ormiston, Wellington Point, Thorneside etc There are also express buses but I don't know how they go in the traffic.

Take a look at More2Redlands.com.au, for what is on offer in the Redlands. visitbrisbane.com, ourbrisbane.com.au for info on wider Brisbane and areas. Also, shorttermaccommodation.com.au, rentalsinoz.com

You can send any of the posters to this thread a Personal Mesage (PM) if you want to know more or need more help.

Best of luck

Moved2Brisbane

Generally "bayside" is a couple of degrees cooler and has more short episodes of rainfall- important so you don't have to water the garden as often with the lack of rain over past years.

Please can you send some of that rain down to Thornlands. It always seems to miss us here and go north to Cleveland or south to Redland Bay!!! :confused:

Love

Rudi

x

• 4 weeks later...

Yeh stayed around redcliffe when we went last august to initiate our visas, i just googled hoiday renals brisbane etc and found some good places to stay and i also stayed up at kings beach caloundra and at southport all booked direct. There are plenty of options

Archived