Bank Account

eammon

We're (hopefully) flying out to Perth in around 4 weeks and I'm trying to organise as much as I can now before we go :swoon:.

I have taken a look at some of the banks websites and know I can apply online to open an Aus bank account, but can anyone advise how long it takes. Do they need a UK address to write to you or do they correspond via e-mail. We're moving out of our house on Tuesday and going into temporary accommodation for around 3 weeks, so worried this won't give us enough time.

Denise x

Guest The Davidsons

Denise, you can apply on line for various accounts but you wont be able to physically do anything with the money until you have gone through the ID process. Banks require a 100 pt ID (passport and something with an Ozzie address on it)

This can be fixed up as soon as you arrive. Cards will then be sent to your Ozzie address or to a bank for collection.

Good luck in Perth. Its beautiful.

Lee from Balcatta Westpac!

We set an account up on-line with ANZ before we arrived, very simple and im sure they only posted us a confirmation letter which arrived about a week later.

As someone as said you cannot get cards or withdraw funds until you have arrived and visited the branch to activate the account,, however having the account now enables you to watch the exchange rate and send money over if its looking good.

Cal x

Guest The Ropey HOFF
We set an account up on-line with ANZ before we arrived, very simple and im sure they only posted us a confirmation letter which arrived about a week later.

As someone as said you cannot get cards or withdraw funds until you have arrived and visited the branch to activate the account,, however having the account now enables you to watch the exchange rate and send money over if its looking good.

Cal x

Hi Cal,

we validate our visas in April and i was thinking about opening a bank account with say, about $500 dollars in it. Is there any benefit in doing this, will it be of any advantage to us, such as a better credit rating, say we emigrate in full at the end of the year, we have an excellent credit rating here in the uk, does this count for anything or do you start from scratch, thanks for any help.

jim.:wink:

we have an excellent credit rating here in the uk, does this count for anything or do you start from scratch

My understanding is that your credit history is worth nothing when you move.

It was suggested to us that opening an account through HSBC could have advantages as they will have access to your UK credit history but Australian banks won't.

Gut feel is that what has gone before you move (good or bad) is of no relevance as unless you are moving with the same employer, everything starts from scratch.

Guest Guest31881
My understanding is that your credit history is worth nothing when you move.

It was suggested to us that opening an account through HSBC could have advantages as they will have access to your UK credit history but Australian banks won't.

Gut feel is that what has gone before you move (good or bad) is of no relevance as unless you are moving with the same employer, everything starts from scratch.

You start from scratch with credit rating as the Australian banks etc cannot access the UK credit rating.

I do not beleive using HSBC would help as although internationally they are the same company and can open accounts anywhere for you, they still work as Indipendent organisations in another country, So Australian HSBC would not have access to your Uk credit rating.

Guest The Ropey HOFF

Hi srp and abz123,

so are you saying theres little point in opening a bank account unless we actually emigrate and to do it then, let us know and thanks for your info,

jim.

Hi srp and abz123,

so are you saying theres little point in opening a bank account unless we actually emigrate and to do it then, let us know and thanks for your info,

jim.

Hi

We also are thinking of setting up bank accounts when we validate to make it easier when we move so would be interested in any responses people have

thanks

claire x

Guest Guest31881
Hi srp and abz123,

jim.

if you are coming over to validate your visa, there would be no harm in opening an account. I think you will find banks will open an account for you and fully activate it when you arrive and have an Australian address. I bank with ANZ and all they wanted from me was my Passport and driving licence (I used british) to prove who I was, because of money laundering laws.

If you have a lump sum of money to move, i seriously consider a FX company to move the money, they seem to work out cheaper and will move the money at a better rate for you. :notworthy:

We did a reccie last December in Brisbane and opened an esaver account with Westpac whilst we were there, so easy, just needed passpost and driving licence and you can open it with as much or little as you want. We opened ours with $100 and now we can access it from the UK. The ATM cards were sent to our UK address and now we transfer money $ in each month and when we finally emigrate they will change the account over to a current account, and also it gives us additional funds when we get there. Much easier than waiting till you get there.

A.

Hi,

Im trying to open up an account with Westpac from the UK, they have sent me forms to get validated by my UK bank, HBOS, they have told OH they do not validate ID for any other bank!!!!

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Any information would be grateful,

John

Archived