Am i panicing

janice1uk

My son was 2 in Oct but he doesnt speak much. My other son was the same but now i cant shut him up. I have read that they have to string three words together for the medicall! My youngest can do this but not often and only when he feels like it. What have i to expect for medicals for the kids they are 6, 4 and 2 any advice please.

Hi,

I wouldnt worry about it. I didnt know about them having to speak. My wee one was 17 months when I got the meds done and I think the doctor just did the basic things like weight, height, checked her tummy and joints. She does chatter away so perhaps they just see how their development is generally, but didnt ask her to specifically speak to her.

For my 6 yr old, it was the same thing but they also just checked her eyesight with a sight chart. Just as well she knew all the letters!

Dont worry, it'll be fine. I couldnt see how they could really assess their health from what they did, but obviously they can get a feel for their general wellbeing. Plus you just have to answer some questions on their general health.

Shaz

• 4 weeks later...
Hi,

I wouldnt worry about it. I didnt know about them having to speak. My wee one was 17 months when I got the meds done and I think the doctor just did the basic things like weight, height, checked her tummy and joints. She does chatter away so perhaps they just see how their development is generally, but didnt ask her to specifically speak to her.

For my 6 yr old, it was the same thing but they also just checked her eyesight with a sight chart. Just as well she knew all the letters!

Dont worry, it'll be fine. I couldnt see how they could really assess their health from what they did, but obviously they can get a feel for their general wellbeing. Plus you just have to answer some questions on their general health.

Shaz

Thanks for advise i know i worry just would hate to fail for something trivial at this stage.

Guest sunnyday

My baby is 15 months and usually babbles for fun but when there are people she doesn't know she doesn't make a peep and didn't all through the medical. The dr didn't comment on it at all, just said she was a good girl.

Also most little ones clam up when there are stangers about so I can't see them expecting them to talk!! I wouldn't worry at all hun

• 3 months later...

As far as the medical goes, I have no idea how much they will place on a random glance. However, it would be something to get investigated for your own peace of mind. There are loads of reasons as to why a child may not be developing language at the rate of his/her peers and the first thing to get checked out is their hearing. If a kid has had a series of middle ear infections they may develop "glue ear" which can lead to conductive loss and subsequent delayed language development. Your GP or community nurse would be in a position to check what is going on and maybe make a referral to a speech pathologist to give you some tips on how to enhance their language skills. 9 times out of 10, like with your elder child, there is nothing to be worrying about but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

As far as the medical goes, I have no idea how much they will place on a random glance. However, it would be something to get investigated for your own peace of mind. There are loads of reasons as to why a child may not be developing language at the rate of his/her peers and the first thing to get checked out is their hearing. If a kid has had a series of middle ear infections they may develop "glue ear" which can lead to conductive loss and subsequent delayed language development. Your GP or community nurse would be in a position to check what is going on and maybe make a referral to a speech pathologist to give you some tips on how to enhance their language skills. 9 times out of 10, like with your elder child, there is nothing to be worrying about but it is always better to be safe than sorry.

Hi we have had all the test done hearing fine. Speach therapy has said his lanuage is imature but no substancial difficulties so lets hope all goes well when we eventually do medicals but with changes who knows.

Archived