Any joggers amongst you?

Hello.

I'm new to PIO but not new to Oz. I live in Melbourne's Bayside area and I recently took up running (jogging is more accurate).

I really need to run more than once a week but, I as yet, do not have enough willpower to run that far on my own. Plus, it's always nice to be able to chat and take your mind off the task in hand.

I was wondering if any of you lived close by and would be interested in a gentle jog on coastal paths with me?

The boring bit:-

I'm in my early 40's, my partner & I arrived in Oz, Dec 05 and discovered I was pregnant within 2 weeks of our arrival. Our daughter is 3, a pure delight and we have truly settled into our lives here. Mother's Group is awesome, I've met some wonderful people and now Kinder is opening up even more of a social circle.

However, I've slowly gained too much weight and I know running is the answer or the key to getting at least some of it off.

I ran the Sussan 5k event (St.Kilda) in December in 34 mins, so that should give you an idea of my pace and standard at present.

I'm hoping to make a few Brit friends as all the Aussie ones we've made don't drink!!! Much to my partners dispair. :arghh: He's no big drinker, but a beer or two helps him unwind from the stresses of the day.

Seem to be rambling now, but hope to hear from you soon.

Cheryl

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Cheryl

Welcome to PIO, I would love to join you, unfortunately I struggle walking to the nearest shop let aslone do a 5k run, well done.

There are quite a few new arrivals to Bayside so hopefully someone can enjoy the freshair with you. Is it Beach Road you would be jogging along, it's a gorgeous road with stunning views.

Hi and thanks for replying.

Yes I normally run Beach Road. Trying to find a few new running paths though, so that I don't get bored.

Hopefully, there are others with the same mad desire as I, to do a gentle run in order to loose some pounds! It would be nice to make a few new friends, especially British Ex-pats :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Luisa, Welcome to the area.

Let me know what days you are free. I do have a 3yr old, so I need to arrange care for her, but apart from that, I'm raring to go.

As I have no life I am free any day - I have got a bad neck at the mo from constant furniture moving/suitcase lugging/more furniture moving which I have found is made worse by running. I will need to power walk for about a week then I will be flying (ahem). Happy to power walk together or if that would be holding you back I can wait till the week after. Whatever suits you. Luisa

So sorry, we have been away for the long weekend and got back last night!

Wednesdays....what time are you thinking?

Once again so sorry didn't see this sooner. :arghh:

Don't worry - did you go somewhere nice? I drop the kids off by 9 so depending on where, any time after then. Only restriction is picking them up again at 3.30

Luisa

Hi Luisa

I have tried unsuccesfully to see if I could get my 3yr old into gym creche for an hour Wed morning. I will see if there is a space for the following Wednesday at 9-10.30 if that suits, I know you said after school run, so can arrange to meet at place that suits you best.

Ideally, we should reward ourselves with a coffee after our walk, what do you think?

Hi Luisa

I have tried unsuccesfully to see if I could get my 3yr old into gym creche for an hour Wed morning. I will see if there is a space for the following Wednesday at 9-10.30 if that suits, I know you said after school run, so can arrange to meet at place that suits you best.

Ideally, we should reward ourselves with a coffee after our walk, what do you think?

Sounds like a plan - you're not at Fitness first are you? Would be happy to walk with buggy if you want to get out? If not - yes a week on Wednesday plus coffee sounds fab. Luisa If you want to give me a ring 0415045977

• 3 months later...
Guest lydiak
Hi Luisa

Hi,

I am new to PIO and was doing a search on 'gyms with creche facilities' and your post came up so hope you don't mind me messaging you. We are moving from London to Melbourne in early Sept and I wanted to know if the gyms over there do childcare and roughly what it costs. I'll have a baby a few months old and a 2 year old and am keen to suss out all childcare options before we go.

Hope your jogging 'circle' is now up and running (pardon the pun!)

Cheers,

Lydia

Guest nimble68

Hi, I'm in Bentleigh and sometimes, when the motivation is there, I run along beach road so would love to join you guys sometime. My hubby starts work on 1st July so able to get a sitter until then...... also I belong to Fitness First in Brighten - is that the same one as you?

Guest nimble68
Hi,

I am new to PIO and was doing a search on 'gyms with creche facilities' and your post came up so hope you don't mind me messaging you. We are moving from London to Melbourne in early Sept and I wanted to know if the gyms over there do childcare and roughly what it costs. I'll have a baby a few months old and a 2 year old and am keen to suss out all childcare options before we go.

Hope your jogging 'circle' is now up and running (pardon the pun!)

Cheers,

Lydia

Hi Lydia, welcome to PIO. I've joined Fitness First which is based in Brighton and they have a creche and for 90mins it costs $5 - one of the reasons I joined them is that they have a creche. Have a look at Fitness First and you can see if there are any near to where you are moving and if they have a creche. Hope that helps.

Jackie

Apologies!!! Hello there.

Been having a few puter issues, so not been receiving updates on posts here.

My running club is part of Hampton Ladies Gym, it's recently been taken over and so as far as I know everything stays the same. The running group is normally split into 3 segments, Fast runners (Apprx 5min pr k runners) Intermediates (btwn 6-8min pr K runners) and Novices (8mins +)

They meet at 9.30am every Tuesday and provide creche facilities. Annie & Di who run it are both amazing, lovely ladies. The creche costs $8 for 90mins. They also offer a babysitting service by arrangement, outside of creche hrs.

I have not been able to run regularly outside of the above day, but do hope as Spring approaches to change that. I sometimes meet another lady from the running group on Thursdays at Thomas St running track and we do interval training there, around 1pm for half hr. We are hoping to run every other Sunday at 9am in the not too distant future. Our pace is intermediate level but other ladies from the club also arrange a weekend run, so would probably be more than happy to get you running too, if you are of the faster pace.

Anyways, I do hope to see you all running soon. PM me if you'd like my contact details and good luck with the move to Melbourne.

Have to say I love the Bayside area as a place to live and I feel lucky to be part of such a great little community here.

Guest lydiak

Thanks for the info Chezza66, that sounds just up my street and bayside area is already on our list to check out. Am I right in thinking that covers Brighton?? Hubby wants to be within 30 min commute of CBD so not sure if this limits us to certain neighbourhoods within Bayside area??....

Guest nimble68

Hi, we are in Bentleigh which is about 30mins from CBD on the train and Brighton is the next to us but is not on the same train line. Any towns on the Frankston train line are also good (of which Bentleigh is one).

Have to agree, love this area - outside the main city but not too far and the beach is just down the road.

We've only been here for 3 months but please pm me if you need any help at all.

Jackie

Yes, Bayside covers Brighton. It is on the Sandringham line from Flinders and takes about 25 mins to Brighton and 30 to Sandy. I think that is why it's so popular.

So, FYI, you have: Sandringham, Hampton, Brighton East, Brighton, North Brighton, Elwood & Gardenvale to choose from.

Also Albert Park & Middle Park are nice areas, but, personally I'm not so keen on St. Kilda, for some reason I don't feel so safe there!

Coming further out from Sandy you have Black Rock, Beaumaris and Mentone.

Hope you find a suburb you like and Bentleigh is a nice area too!!!

Archived